Your Opinion.. The TOP 5 dive spots to visit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cxg31s:
:lol:

And come on Mattboy, his profile showed 0-15 dives--we didn't know until he explained that he actually has more dives than that. That information DOES affect the sites that I would personally recommend. I would never recommend Maracaibo or Barracuda to a newbie, would you? And a responsible dive shop wouldn't take a new diver to those sites. You can't argue the fact that some of the sites do require more experience, so chill out.

Yeah, what she said...

DocVikingo:
If you were a regular visitor to the D2D board you may have noticed that it was very slow at times,

That's an understatement. I stopped visiting regularly after they went to the new format. Painfully slow for my dial-up.

Moodiejeff:
Barracuda was a close 6th, but I have to disagree with "The Redhead", didn't see much damage there at all (San Juan is another story). At Barracuda we were lucky, there was almost no current to speak of so we got to go nice and slow. Got a few cool pics there... things you couldn't get if the current was "normal".

Everyone calls me Red. I noticed most of the hydriods are gone. :lol:

Finger coral broken, leafy algae gone and a lack of turtles on Baracuda. Not as noticable as San Juan on the finger coral. Everytime I've dived them, its been wild.

Responding to message 41 ("I went last year right after Emily and have been twice since Wilma. I won't dispute the fact that there was reef damage on Paradise and Chankanaab. But even pre-hurricane, those 2 sites have always been known more for their critter life than their reef structure. The hurricanes didn't change that fact--I saw more critters on those 2 sites than a lot of the more "in-demand" sites. It depends on what you're looking for in a diving experience, I guess.....")

Glad to hear the critters are still there. That's why I like those dives. One night on Paradise we saw seven octopi (a personal record), plus crabs, lobsters, etc., etc.

For what it's worth, my top five favorite dives in Cozumel are:
  1. Palancar Bricks for incredible swim-throughs and formations
  2. Cathedrals for incredible swim-throughs and formations
  3. Chunchacaibo :wink: for the sheer beauty
  4. Columbia Shallows for a nice easy long photo dive
  5. Cedral Pass & Dalila toss-up for the variety of marine life and the "you never know what you're going to see" factor

I also really like Santa Rosa Wall, Tormentos, and all of Palancar, Columbia, and Tunich is awfully fun if you want to fly :)

>--Zen-Archer-->:
My wife and I will be going to Cozumel to Celebrate our 10 year annivesary.. I want to make sure I take her to some good reefs and dive spots.. I would like to gauge the forums opinion on what you would consider the top 5. My plan is to visit more than 5 but I would like to leverage your experience to help me get the top five... Your thoughts?......

WE ARE DOING MOSTLY SHALLOW DIVES THIS TRIP DUE TO HAVING MY GRANDSON WITH US this is his first trip since being certified. He is 10 years old and doing great diving. Our favorite so far was paradise. WOW to see what the hurricane did to the pier is unbelievable It is a definite must see. I do think we will dive it again and take pictures since the film in our camera didnt advance and we didnt get any pictures today. Kathy currently in cozumel
THESE ARE MY FIVE TOP CHOICES
1. Columbia shallows
2.Paradise ( a definitely must you can see the destroyed cruise ship pier)
3.palacar gardens
4.Delilah
5. have not done a fifth one yet this time tomorrow we will dive but not sure where.

Just got back two days ago. With 50 dives in the last year probably close to your level. Top fav's are:
1. Columbia-the swim throughs and the anchors prettiest sponge color
2. C53 - no current that day, good wreck dive
3. Palancar Horseshoe - fun swim throughs very pretty dive with lots of fish.
4. Palancar Caves - very cool swim throughs; some were incredibly narrow and challenging
5. Paradise at night - did this night dive twice, both times very differnt, beautiful, lots of octopus, lobster, squid, etc.....

Basically had a great time and will be back soon

In no particular order....

1. Paseo de Cedral
2. Columbia Deep
3. Columbia Shallows
4. Palancar Bricks
5. Any other site in COZ!

Our favorites, in no particular order...

1) Paradise at night
2) La Francesa
3) Palancar (Gardens, Bricks... it's all good)
4) Santa Rosa
5) Columbia

Back
Top Bottom