Your Opinion.. The TOP 5 dive spots to visit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn:
That's weird. You are only the second person who has told me that, while many others have told me that they are the same spot. What's the diff?

Two completely different drops. Chun Chacab is a little further north than Maracaibo.

Whoever said they are the same spot may dive the same spot and not realize there are two different spots...but they are in fact two different sites and we dive both of them on a regular basis. We've also been to Islote a few times now.

You could dive that "shallow" southern area for days and not dive it all...it's massive.

Christi's right, if you check the Cozumel reef guide, the Can-do map or any other map of the reefs in Coz, Maracaibo and Chun Chacab are 2 different sites.

Lunardiver, as you're probably figuring out, everyone's top 5 is going to differ. I do agree with the others that your dive experience will limit some of the sites the dive op will allow you to go. But I can assure you that any of the sites you go to will be great!

For you, I would recommend (in no particular order):
Chankanaab
Paradise
Palancar--any of them
Columbia Shallows
Santa Rosa or Tormentos (depending on currents)

I like Angie's list for your level (Tormentos on a calm day of if you're feeling ready and confident). If I was your dive instructor that's where I would bring you, and they are great dives besides: you won't be giving up anything by making those dives...have a great time and happy anniversary!!!!

CN

cxg31s:
Christi's right, if you check the Cozumel reef guide, the Can-do map or any other map of the reefs in Coz, Maracaibo and Chun Chacab are 2 different sites.

Yes, I am aware that Maracaibo and Chun Cha Kab (or Chun Chacab) are two different reefs. What I was told by other DM's, however, is that Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Cha Kab are the same reef. Other research I have done since our exchange has been inconclusive; the info I have found is about evenly split. It may be a tomayto/tomahto thing. Until I get myself back down there, it is of course academic.

Hi xiSkiGuy,

Best as I know, under NAUI the diver can move directly on to the Advanced Diver course (i.e., AOW) upon completion of Scuba Diver (i.e., OW) cert. The later requires only 5 dives.

Advanced Diver cert requires 6 additional open water dives (one each for navigation, night/low visibility & deep diving + 3 different dives from various other possibilities).

Thus, one could obtain NAUI Advanced Diver with as few as 11 dives.

Regards,

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
Hi xiSkiGuy,

Best as I know, under NAUI the diver can move directly on to the Advanced Diver course (i.e., AOW) upon completion of Scuba Diver (i.e., OW) cert. The later requires only 5 dives.

Advanced Diver cert requires 6 additional open water dives (one each for navigation, night/low visibility & deep diving + 3 different dives from various other possibilities).

Thus, one could obtain NAUI Advanced Diver with as few as 11 dives.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Of course, whether that diver would really be an advanced diver compared to a basic OW cert'ed diver with 200+ dives is another question.

1. Palancar Caves....best wall
2. Paso De Cedral...best medium depth life
3. Santa Rosa Wall...my first Coz dive and a sentimental fav
4. Columbia Shallow...wonderful for photography
5. Punta Tunich....the thrill of the ride - big current

ggunn:
Yes, I am aware that Maracaibo and Chun Cha Kab (or Chun Chacab) are two different reefs. What I was told by other DM's, however, is that Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Cha Kab are the same reef. Other research I have done since our exchange has been inconclusive; the info I have found is about evenly split. It may be a tomayto/tomahto thing. Until I get myself back down there, it is of course academic.

It's kind of one of those things that each shop/DM has their own idea of where a reef starts and begins, have their own pet names, etc. But I will guarantee you that we are diving two completely separate sites...although the topography is very similar on both sites. We also dive a different section that's somewhere in the middle of Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Chacab that I refer to as Chunchacaibo :)

Christi:
It's kind of one of those things that each shop/DM has their own idea of where a reef starts and begins, have their own pet names, etc. But I will guarantee you that we are diving two completely seperate sites...although very similar when we dive each of those sites. We also dive a different section that's somewhere in the middle of Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Chacab that I refer to as Chunchacaibo :)

Chunchacaibo, that's rich.... ;^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom