Your Opinion.. The TOP 5 dive spots to visit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I will be going to Cozumel to Celebrate our 10 year annivesary.. I want to make sure I take her to some good reefs and dive spots.. I would like to gauge the forums opinion on what you would consider the top 5. My plan is to visit more than 5 but I would like to leverage your experience to help me get the top five... Your thoughts?......

My top five would be:

1). Columbia Shallows
2). Maracaibo Shallows
3). Palancar Caves
4). La Francesa
5). Punta Sur Cathedral

Here's my two cents worth:

Since your profile info shows you have under 15 lifetime dives, you might be better advised to focus on your boyancy - especially in hovering at your safety stop, and your air consumption, instead of focusing on the best dive sites to go to.

Just enjoy your dives, all the sites are good. You are going to have a great time!

You're not really ready for the best advanced sites of Cozumel. Get some experience in the shallower zones, and a few drift dives, and then you may want to cut out to Palancar (deep and shallow and caves are good Novice dives), Broken Reef (Little Horseshoe), Santa Rosa for something deeper. The reefs will always be there: don't be in a rush. That's my advice, take it or leave it.

CN

LunarDiver:
My wife and I will be going to Cozumel to Celebrate our 10 year annivesary.. I want to make sure I take her to some good reefs and dive spots.. I would like to gauge the forums opinion on what you would consider the top 5. My plan is to visit more than 5 but I would like to leverage your experience to help me get the top five... Your thoughts?......

I just have to ask...In your profile picture, where is that dive location? If I didn't know better, I would swear that it's the Pecan Grove at Lake Travis in Austin. But surely a new diver wouldn't go there...right?? :huh:

Something doesn't add up. The OP's sigline says NAUI AOW, which I doubt you can do with 15 or less dives. I'm guessing something hasn't been updated.

Martha:
My top five would be:

1). Columbia Shallows
2). Maracaibo Shallows
a.k.a. Chun Cha Kab
3). Palancar Caves
4). La Francesa
5). Punta Sur Cathedral

I agree, though if the 15 lifetime dives is correct, they might not be ready for Punta Sur or Chun Cha Kab. Colombia Shallows, by all means; you can go there time after time and not repeat yourself, and it was by far the least damaged shallow reef I saw there in May.

ggunn:
a.k.a. Chun Cha Kab

ACtually, Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Chacab are two different sites.

Christi:
ACtually, Maracaibo Shallows and Chun Chacab are two different sites.

That's weird. You are only the second person who has told me that, while many others have told me that they are the same spot. What's the diff?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom