Your Opinion.. The TOP 5 dive spots to visit in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the confusion... I have more dives than 15.. I actally have about 60 including Night, Deep in Ocean/Lake enviroments. Unfortunately, I did not update my profile prior to the transition. My fault... I would still like your opinion based upon your exeprience and I will try to pick the ones that meet my skill level.. Thanks for your good input so far!

To answer your question Hemlon, That picture was taken at Lake Tenkiller in Oklahoma. I was in about 45 Feet of water..... I took a look at my logs for the dives I have made so far and I am averaging between 40 to 60 ft. I have about 60 dives under my belt with the deepest made and the deepest has been about 100ft.. Which actually occured during that dive at Lake Tenkiller. I am currently hold a AOW c-card. Still learning and hope to gain more experience during my dives in Cozumel.. Thinking about taking my Rescue class towards the end of the year...

1. Plancar Caves
2. Coumbia Shallows
3. Santa Rosa Wall
4. Paradise at night
5. Palancar Bricks

My assessment is based primarily on pre-Wilma dives. I understand Paradise and Chankanaab took heavy damage and may no longer warrant this rating. I dove Palancar Caves in January and it is just as good as ever.

LunarDiver:
Sorry for the confusion... I have more dives than 15.. I actally have about 60 including Night, Deep in Ocean/Lake enviroments. Unfortunately, I did not update my profile prior to the transition. My fault... I would still like your opinion based upon your exeprience and I will try to pick the ones that meet my skill level.. Thanks for your good input so far!

LOL Well that does make a bit of a difference! Of course, it will also depend on your wife's skill level as well. BTW, congrats on your anniversary! :)

And boy, that is some green water--I don't think I'll be rushing to dive Tenkiller. LOL

Okay so assuming your wife has about the same skill level as you do, my revised Top 5 for you (in order this time):

1. Chun Chacab
2. Palancar Horseshoe
3. Dalila
4. Palancar Bricks ties with Columbia
5. Punta Sur Cathedral

That will give you a good variety of UW topography and critter life and all are appropriate for your experience level. As I said before, you'll enjoy just about anywhere you go. Also, keep in mind that the DM and the rest of the people on the boat will also get a vote on where you dive. You'll have a great time! :)

1) Columbia Deep with swimthroughs
2) The 140 foot swimthrough near Devil's Throat, Punta Sur North
3) Palancar Caves
4) Baracuda (much destruction, but the ride is divine)
5) Maracabo

I must add that a newb shouldn't do any of the above sites except Palancar Caves (speed reading again).

I would recommend Columbia Bricks, Palancar Gardens, Horsehoe and Cedral for a newer diver. The current though Tunich can rip at times, but it is another favorite.

To take the other side....

Dives that I would not bother with yet, especially if my time were limited...

Las Palmas
Yucab

divingjd:
My assessment is based primarily on pre-Wilma dives. I understand Paradise and Chankanaab took heavy damage and may no longer warrant this rating. I dove Palancar Caves in January and it is just as good as ever.

I went last year right after Emily and have been twice since Wilma. I won't dispute the fact that there was reef damage on Paradise and Chankanaab. But even pre-hurricane, those 2 sites have always been known more for their critter life than their reef structure. The hurricanes didn't change that fact--I saw more critters on those 2 sites than a lot of the more "in-demand" sites. It depends on what you're looking for in a diving experience, I guess.....

...what, is scubadiving.com still down? lol...

Jeesh, the guy asked for favorite dive sites and got several responses of "you're not ready...." thank you, mommy!

My recommendation, particularly since Wilma, would be to stay in the Colombia/Palancar areas as much as possible. There are lots of great sites in those areas; just to the north are Dalila and La Francesa which are terrific too. I'm personally not so much of a Punta Sur fan, but if you're dying to do a big swim-through that's often crowded, go for it. I've never been to Maricaibo, I'm embarrassed to say; heard many great things but it is a considerably deeper dive and of course this affects your bottom time, so you'll have to make that decision.

cowboyneal:
...what, is scubadiving.com still down? lol...

:lol:

And come on Mattboy, his profile showed 0-15 dives--we didn't know until he explained that he actually has more dives than that. That information DOES affect the sites that I would personally recommend. I would never recommend Maracaibo or Barracuda to a newbie, would you? And a responsible dive shop wouldn't take a new diver to those sites. You can't argue the fact that some of the sites do require more experience, so chill out.

Back
Top Bottom