YOUR Leisure Pro Service Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
It has been an on-going big debate whether LP is an eligible shop to buy our life supporting gear, “regulator”. I think if they can meet the following conditions, there won’t be issue anymore for the potential buyers:
Do you have any warranty service experience with LP?
If then, what and how was it?
Please share your experience with other members for the reference.
Thanks in advance, all.
Well, I bought a set of cressi fins from them last year. The clip was defective (too narrow). I called and emailed and NO ONE bothered to call me back or replace the clip. So a buddy of mine fixed it for me. But I was still annoyed that a simple clip would be ignored. Then I found out that quite a few manufacturers won't honor their warrenties if items were purchased thru them. If I'm spending my very hard earned $$ to their business, then I damn well better get the service and everything else that goes along with it. So now I'm a scubatoys groupie... :) Larry hooked me up something awesome!!!

Mama Mynet:
Well, I bought a set of cressi fins from them last year. The clip was defective (too narrow). I called and emailed and NO ONE bothered to call me back or replace the clip. So a buddy of mine fixed it for me. But I was still annoyed that a simple clip would be ignored. Then I found out that quite a few manufacturers won't honor their warrenties if items were purchased thru them. If I'm spending my very hard earned $$ to their business, then I damn well better get the service and everything else that goes along with it. So now I'm a scubatoys groupie... :) Larry hooked me up something awesome!!!

That was pretty inexcusable, not to respond to your calls and e-mails.

The issue about being (or not being, in this case) an authorized dealer for (I think) most of the things they sell has been covered here a lot. Their policy in that case is to extend their own warranty on those products, equivalent to the manufacturer's.

Which they obviously failed to do in your case.

By the way, what clip was it that was too narrow? One of the strap clips, I assume? Weren't the fins in their original package?

--Marek

Marek K:
That was pretty inexcusable, not to respond to your calls and e-mails.
By the way, what clip was it that was too narrow? One of the strap clips, I assume? Weren't the fins in their original package?

--Marek
Yes. It was a strap clip. And it was in it's original packaging. (sigh) well at least it was able to get fixed with a bit of brute strength...LOL

So what I do is use Scubatoys for my major purchases and I have an LDS that handles my services and little odds and ends for purchases locally.

Marek K:
I'd sent my LP-bought Sherwood reg in to them in late January for its first annual service ... I just re-contacted them two days ago, at the end of the 45-day period that USPS requires me to wait before making an insurance claim. LP replied that the reg had meantime already been at their shop, been serviced, and was on its way back to me. Cool.

Our MasterCard account has been charged $52.45, apparently for the service. OK... that's $39.95 labor for the reg, octo, and gauges. The Sherwood reg's parts should have been free. But there was an Oceanic Veo computer in the console. I figure the additional $12.50 may have been a battery change for the computer, plus any parts for the octo (not covered by the Oceanic warranty). If so, then it wasn't too horrible a price (yes?) -- even though I do have spare batteries (without o-rings) that cost like $2.50 each.

We'll see when I get the rig back, and see the paperwork.

Well, I just received the rig back. Actually looks very well-done. Everything wrapped up in a large plastic bag; lots of foam peanuts for padding. And the DIN fitting installed as I'd asked, with the loose yoke returned to me.

And as at least scubadobadoo has mentioned, the old parts were all returned in a small baggie. I've never been inside this or any other regulator, but the baggie included:
- 10 small o-rings of various sizes -- I assume that included hose o-rings;
- the 1st stage inlet mesh screen;
- two soft rubber/silicone seats, about 1/4" diameter each, one blue and one black (valve seats for the 2nd stage and octo?);
- one small white 1/8" dia nylon seat (1st stage piston?);
- small metal threaded fitting, 3/16" dia x 1/4" long, torx socket on one end and soft seat on the other end (2nd stage adjustment?);
- metal washer, 1/2" dia, with six flanges along the circumference (???).

Hmmm... I don't see any exhaust valves returned.

They charged me $39.95 for the service, plus $12.50 for "scuba repair parts." Hmmm... Parts for the Sherwood 1st and 2nd stages should have been free -- that's what the Sherwood warranty covers. Parts for the Oceanic octo shouldn't have been free, but $12.50 seems steep for just 2nd stage parts -- no?

I can't tell whether the computer battery was changed too. There was also a larger, 1-1/8" OD o-ring in the baggie -- too small to be the o-ring for the computer's battery compartment, but maybe they didn't replace the o-ring. Do regs have any o-rings that large?

I've e-mailed LP to ask about the extra charge.

Anyway, there was no charge for the return shipment, which was a nice surprise.

That's it for now. Anyone have any insight into the baggied parts, I'd appreciate it.

Oh... Worth keeping these used pieces parts in my save-a-dive kit? If so, which ones, other than the o-rings?

--Marek

Marek K:
Well, I just received the rig back. Actually looks very well-done. Everything wrapped up in a large plastic bag; lots of foam peanuts for padding. And the DIN fitting installed as I'd asked, with the loose yoke returned to me.

And as at least scubadobadoo has mentioned, the old parts were all returned in a small baggie. I've never been inside this or any other regulator, but the baggie included:
- two soft rubber/silicone seats, about 1/4" diameter each, one blue and one black (valve seats for the 2nd stage and octo?);
- small metal threaded fitting, 3/16" dia x 1/4" long, torx socket on one end and soft seat on the other end (2nd stage adjustment?);

They charged me $39.95 for the service, plus $12.50 for "scuba repair parts." Hmmm... Parts for the Sherwood 1st and 2nd stages should have been free -- that's what the Sherwood warranty covers. Parts for the Oceanic octo shouldn't have been free, but $12.50 seems steep for just 2nd stage parts -- no?

I can't tell whether the computer battery was changed too. There was also a larger, 1-1/8" OD o-ring in the baggie -- too small to be the o-ring for the computer's battery compartment, but maybe they didn't replace the o-ring. Do regs have any o-rings that large?

That's it for now. Anyone have any insight into the baggied parts, I'd appreciate it.

Oh... Worth keeping these used pieces parts in my save-a-dive kit? If so, which ones, other than the o-rings?

--Marek

12.50 for a 2nd stage kit does not seem unreasonable. That is in line for what I have payed for a scubapro R190 kit. 1 & 1/8 inch sounds about right for a computer bat o-ring. Many of those bat are 1 inch in diameter. Or maybe it say just an extra o-ring laying on the table (kidding I hope).

awap:
12.50 for a 2nd stage kit does not seem unreasonable. That is in line for what I have payed for a scubapro R190 kit.
Well, Sherwood kits for 1st and 2nd stages together are supposed to retail for about $8.00. But maybe Oceanic is more expensive, even just for the 2nd stage.
awap:
1 & 1/8 inch sounds about right for a computer bat o-ring. Many of those bat are 1 inch in diameter.
The large o-ring is definitely not from the computer. I popped the computer open, and the battery o-ring is significantly larger in diameter; it wouldn't stretch this much. That's why I was wondering whether there would be any o-rings this large in regs anywhere.

awap:
Or maybe it say just an extra o-ring laying on the table (kidding I hope).
Doh, the conspiracy theory continues! (Also kidding, I hope... Actually, the same evil thought had crossed my mind too.)

FWIW, the seats they returned look like they've got a little bit of "set" in them... just what I'd imagine they'd look like after a year of light use, like with this reg.

--Marek

Marek K:

--Marek

I believe their policy is that you get the free parts if you purchase the regulator from them. They might have not realized that you did purchase it from them if you didn't mention it .

Tell them you got it from them and they'll probably give it to you back.
Let us know..

davidr:
I believe their policy is that you get the free parts if you purchase the regulator from them. They might have not realized that you did purchase it from them if you didn't mention it .

Tell them you got it from them and they'll probably give it to you back.
Let us know..
No, I made it very clear in the letter I sent that I had p[urchased it from LP last summer, and I enclosed a copy of the original invoice just for that reason.

(At least I think I did...
06.gif
)

Anyway, I e-mailed them asking about this, and let's see what they say.

--Marek

Marek K:
The large o-ring is definitely not from the computer. I popped the computer open, and the battery o-ring is significantly larger in diameter; it wouldn't stretch this much. That's why I was wondering whether there would be any o-rings this large in regs anywhere.
--Marek

I'm not familiar with sherwood regs but it might be a piston LP o-ring. My scubapro Mk20 & mk5 use a 1 1/8 inch o-ring on the piston head.

Save those old parts. Many seats, especially the LP seats, can be turned over and used again.

awap:
I'm not familiar with sherwood regs but it might be a piston LP o-ring. My scubapro Mk20 & mk5 use a 1 1/8 inch o-ring on the piston head.
Brilliant! There's a cut-away diagram of a Sherwood 1st stage here: http://www.oxygen.top.pl/diving/menu.php?id=autom_sher (yes, it's in Polish!), and it does show a relatively large o-ring at the end of the piston away from the inlet. Unless I'm totally mis-reading the diagram.

Would the small white nylon seat they replaced be the HP seat shown in the diagram, at the other end of the piston?

--Marek

Back
Top Bottom