YOUR Leisure Pro Service Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

riguerin:
Nope. Buying life support equipment by from a reputable authorized dealer would suffice. Do you have a better suggestion ... perhaps a diver organized posse to hunt down SCUBA equipment truck hijacking thugs ? :05:

There are marketing tactics and marketing tools.

Reputable dealers, and manufacturers, are the key. This quality is what will best assure a customer that he will obtain the benefits you speak of.

Manufacturers have various methods available to market their products. Authorized dealerships are an example of one of these methods, or marketing tools. For retailers, becoming an authorized dealer is also an option used to market their goods to consumers. This authorized dealership marketing concept is presented or sold to consumers as a purchasing option advantageous to them. By using this retail option to make their purchases they will obtain advantages that they would otherwise not obtain by purchasing through other retail sources. In essence, that it is in their best interest to purchase from an authorized dealer. This may in fact be the case, but just as well there may be advantages to purchasing from other non-authorized sources, and it may be to a consumer's best interest to purchase from another source.

It's important for consumers to recognize, that the various purchasing sources and options available to them, are the result of manufacturers/distributors/marketers and retail vendors search for the most advantageous method to market their goods.

To believe that authorized dealerships are created for the benefit of consumers, that they are more reputable and offer advantages superior to non-authorized competitors, is to fall prey to the marketing hype.

Right next to various positive promotions tactics used to attract customers, such as calling attention to product and service benefits, some vendors also employ negative tactics to keep customers away from their competitors and attract them by default. They will raise questions about the integrity of a competitors products or those sold through less desirable channels, as the case may be. Issues of authenticity, whether it's new, if its safety worthy, vendor qualifications and integrity, and so forth, will be used.

It's a jungle out there. Buyer beware.

WEll I have had good luck purchasing from them, as far as returns or warranties I have not had any. Don't know If I would send anything in for service or not, I like to know who works on my life support equipment, that's where you dive shop and pool comes in. Each time my reg is rebuilt I jump in the pool with their tank and air and test it out. If it needs adjusting they do it right there. That's worth a few extra bucks to me.

If you have been brain washed by your local dive shop into believing that LP is evil, then I direct you here...

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=138963

Perhaps your LDS isn't at fault and is in fact suffering from the same brain washing they did on you. Your opinion may change a bit when you read other manufacturers claim that some manufacturers "may" be selling DIRECTLY to LP.

As always, I suggest that if you do have a great LDS that gives you good service and prices too, then congrats! Give them a big hug and tell others about them! However, the above thread changes things a bit, lol.

no complaints so far and love the prices

Capitalism at it's best (worst?). An "authoized" dealer is nothing more than a dealer who has agreed to sell the manufacturer's product at a set price. (Read...price fixing)
Buying from an "unauthorized" dealer simply means they have not agreed to this policy and in turn the manufacturer will refuse to honor warranties. (I'm taking my ball and going home).

To counter this, LP issues it's own warranty that meets the conditions of the original manufacturer warranty. While I have never used it myself, I have read threads that say it works fine. (I have had plenty of problems dealing with manufacturer issued warranties...) The manufacturer's (and "authorized" dealers) want consumers to believe they would be buying an inferior product from "unauthorized" dealers. Maybe so, maybe not. No more than from an "authorized" one.

This is how the business world operates. Control of the market is what the top dogs are always after. Ever hear of Microsoft? The product you buy is the same as long as it is new. It goes through the same quality control no matter where it is shipped.

As far as the LDS goes, part of the problem is they are David trying to beat Goliath. Asking customers to feel sorry for their plight and overpay for their products is just poor business. If you can't compete, you should adapt. Don't carry products you can't move! Reduce your inventory. A much better strategy would be to increase your service for products purchased on-line. (Kind of like having to pay $30 for the $2 printer that you got with your printer). Why not encourage, or even help, your customers to purchase on-line and then arrange testing, servicing, etc. for a wide range of products.

When I buy on-line, I only purchase brands that I know can be serviced at my LDS. They are half-way there already.

I've bought about a half dozen items from Leisure Pro and have never had an issue. Then again ...I've never had to return anything from them.

In terms of e-mail, I 've had both good and not so good response. In both cases I sent a message to their customer service contact address requesting information on a product/availability. In one case (which I sent them about 2 months ago) I never heard back. In another, just sent at the end of last week, I've already gotten a response.

'Slogger

nothing but possitive experience . ive order over $2000 worth of gear in the last year. basically everything exept my wetsuit.

Long time Scubaboard fan, first time poster... :D

I asked my LDS if they would service ScubaPro regulator purchased from LP, and they said absolutely, except that the parts will not be covered under warranty. So when you take your reg in for service the tech said they follow up with the manufacture to make sure the product is under warranty (i.e. run the serial numbers), if it is then you get your parts for free under the limited lifetime warranty. If it isn’t, then you pay for the parts, and they service it. Either way my LDS makes some money and they aren’t going to turn that down. He quoted me $36 for labor, plus $68 for parts if it’s not covered.

If a LDS shop said to me that they only service the equipment that you purchased from them, then I would move on to another LDS. What if I bought my reg in Florida but wanted it serviced in NJ? Would that mean I have to send my reg to Florida every time I want it serviced? That would suck. (Again going back to the car analogy where if I bought a Chevy does that mean I have to take it back for service ONLY to that dealer that sold it to me? Heck No!)

The only thing is the long run cost. Sure you might save a few bucks up front, but if I have to pay $68 a year to get it serviced, then after a few years you end up loosing money. Figure $36 you going to spend regardless if its under warranty or not. So now you’re spending approximately $70 a year for the parts, after 3 years your going to start loosing money because those parts would have been covered under the limited lifetime.

Im just going by what my LDS tech told me. Also Im just trying to educate myself the best I can as a consumer, as well as keeping a few bucks in my pocket in the process. So far it seems people have had pretty good experiences over all with LP, some even better then their LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom