Your favourite second stage and *why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @buddhasummer

Interesting question.

I have only purchased five 2nd stage regulators for myself over many years of diving, 1970-1980, 1997-today. I still own and dive all 5. They are all Scubapro, all perform well. I know much less about regulators than all of you.

109 1972
G250HP 2002
S600 2013
S600 2017
C370 2021

I currently dive the newer S600 as primary, the C370 as backup, and the G250HP on my pony. I breathe the backup and pony pretty frequently, to make sure they are operating well. At recreational depths and moderate or less exertion, I'm not at all sure I can tell a difference between the 3. Both of my first stages in use are MK25s.
Ha, similarly, I just put together a new setup using my old S600 as a primary and new (thank you @buddhasummer ) C370 as a backup on my old MK25 and ended up switching S600 to back up because C370 breathes better…. 🤔 :)

1) Sea Hornet Command Air/Commander
I have one of those, not dived it for awhile, easy to service.

1. G260
2. G250
3. S600
And I can acquire the service parts for SP
Have not tried the C370 , I like how simple it is.
All paired with Mk25, Mk19 or Mk10s
My go to at the moment is the MK19

And a box of Conshelf 14 that have not been used in years.

G260 getting a lot of love, not undeserved. They breathe very well, smooth, hold tune, seat saver purge, simple to service
and reliable. Nice.

I have one of those, not dived it for awhile, easy to service.
Yep dead simple to service... the only thing that ever seems to go wrong with one that's been stored in a warm climate is the exhaust valves tend to perish into sticky goo. Easily cleaned off the case with orange oil label remover.
They were made from latex rubber not silicone for better performance (think of the snap in a latex speargun rubber) so the reason there is the distinctive clear window over the exhaust valve is to easily check condition without disassembly.
OEM latex valves have long been unobtainium but a standard 29mm modern silicone exhaust valve fits straight in.

G260 getting a lot of love, not undeserved. They breathe very well, smooth, hold tune, seat saver purge, simple to service
and reliable. Nice.
Plus they finally sealed the adjust knob shaft with an o-ring :wink:

They were made from latex rubber not silicone for better performance (think of the snap in a latex speargun rubber) so the reason there is the distinctive clear window over the exhaust valve is to easily check condition without disassembly.
The Command Air is one of the second stages I felt bad to leave off my favorites list. Not sure I had previously heard the reason for the clear exhaust valve window, so thanks for the info!

Mares Abyss and Proton Metal second stages.
I've got a personal beef with Mares (PDC related) that has me anti-Mares in totality. That being said, I have recently inherited an Abyss that intrigues me....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom