Your favourite second stage and *why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive got a D400 that I picked many years ago. Never used it. The 420 looks very similar.

Even though I really like the D 420 and it’s what I use when I may want a lot of air, the in water performance is amazing but if I had to pick a conventional type regulator for my only regulator it would be the G260, the culmination of the inline second stage.

now days I dive Sherwood SR’s and find them to be very good overall but the 420 and 260 are better.
Apart from one magic G250 where all the tolerances fit, the smoothest breathing reg I tried was the T2 I got from you. So I guess I'll have to give the D420 (and Sherwood SR?) another try one day (on some deep dives that pronounce the differences).

But if I may try and read between the lines, there is something to be said for a "workhorse" reg that is just sturdy, and cheap to service for day to day use, and breathes nicely (though not exceptional)...

Apart from one magic G250 where all the tolerances fit, the smoothest breathing reg I tried was the T2 I got from you. So I guess I'll have to give the D420 (and Sherwood SR?) another try one day (on some deep dives that pronounce the differences).

But if I may try and read between the lines, there is something to be said for a "workhorse" reg that is just sturdy, and cheap to service for day to day use, and breathes nicely (though not exceptional)...
The Z2 you got from me was even better than the “T” I could easily be happy with any Atomic second too.

The Mares Abyss is bullet proof. There aren't any knobs or levers to fiddle around with, it's just a great breathing reg from the top to the bottom. I have been diving my MR 22 Abyss for about 23 years and it has never free flowed or failed me and I dive up here in the cold Great Lakes.
The Mares Proton Metal because I needed a cold water octo.

This is it. There are connoissers here who can appreciate the subtle differences in smoothness etc of air delivery, and those subtleties are making our comparisons difficult, because I don't know if your "smooth" air delivery is what I consider "smooth". Buddhasummer therefore asks for points of comparison, which is our best bet (hoping two samples of the same model are set up similarly). For people starting out I bet any reg in this thread will serve your entire diving careers.

In my own back to back comparisons of different regs on the same dive, I forgot what I was breathing from after minutes (comparing top regs like in this thread). A reg like your Abyss that never failed you and is simple to maintain and bulletproof has a lot going for it IMHO. When I tried them they breathed great, and they are now on my list...

Conshelf 14.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom