Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dive computer do you use? Mine - Primary = USD Monitor II
Back up = USD Matrix

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

sorry, Hit the button to early Please let me finish now

What dive computer do you use? Mine - Primary = USD Monitor II
Back up = USD Matrix
Wife - Primary = USD Monitor II
Back up = USD Matris
I did not know we were so old until I started monitoring this thread, Damn we are old divers!

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? - No to all 4

Would you recommend it? Why/why not? - Not really, you can't find them and there are new computers available, but I still love my Monitor, it has never failed me.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? - At the time the Monitor was all I wanted, the Matrix is a great backup. We dive with the Monitor on the wrist and the Matrix in a console.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? - The Monitor was top of the line and met all my requirements and needs.

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? - It cost about $100 bucks to get a new battery and it has to be sent off to get it done.

The best feature of the model you use? - Large screen and easy to read and operator friendly. I don't plan on upgrading as it has served me well for quite a many years, besides the new computers are to "busy" you have to have a engineering degree to use one. I suscribe to the KISS principal.

The Matrix is a great backup also.

JT Divers recently started a thread regarding wrist computers that are air integrated. That got me to thinking that it would be interesting to get the ScubaBoard users thoughts on all the different computers out there (wrist models, hose models, even the new data masks), by taking a survey on which computers they have/use or would like to get. So, if you’re interest, answer a few questions.

What dive computer do you use?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?

Can’t wait to see what the responses are going to be! :blinking:

Oceanic Veo 250
It is air/nitrox intergrated, and it is hose
yes, it is a really good computer for a middle of the road, and price
oceanic pro computer, because it has a compass on the same side.
middle of price range
no compass on same side as screen
nitrox ready

I'm gonna chime in, although I feel a bit late for the party. I'll use the 2-computer post I saw used earlier.

Rec (single tank, reef diving with the wife):
What dive computer do you use - Suunto Gekko (wrist)
Is it an air-intergrated model? - NO.
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? - Yeah, sure. It was cheap enough, and it tells me the things I need to know: like bottom time, current depth, max depth. It also tells me temperature, a fun thing to record in the logbook for future reference.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? - The Gekko is fine for my recreational diving. It meets my needs, was inexpensive, and does nitrox NDL calculations (good if I ever want to sell it).
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? - See above.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? - Doesn't display average depth during the dive.
The best feature of the model you use? - Display of bottom time, current depth, max depth.

Cave (or any diving other than with the wife):
What dive computer do you use? - UWATEC BT (imperial)
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? - of course not
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? - Yes. It tells me what I need to know: such as bottom time, current depth, max depth.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? - I would like to get that new UWATEC BT that shows average depth. Why? Because it shows average depth.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? - It tells me what I need to know: such as bottom time, current depth, max depth.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? - Doesn't show average depth.
The best feature of the model you use? - Display of bottom time, current depth, max depth.

I'm easy to please. Just show me bottom time, current depth, max depth and I'll be a happy camper. Show me average depth too and I'll buy you lunch.

Mike

Uwatec Galileo Sol

Air Integrated Transmitter (Up to 4 different Transmitters)

Absolutely, if you can stand the financial hit

Suunto D9 only if the Galileo Sol was unavailable.

Multi Gas, Multi Deco, Large, comprehensive visible display, integration and monitoring is seamless, compass!

None that I can think of, other than the cost factor. To effectively use the computer, the learning curve is moderate.

Workloading, integration of features, downloading logs via SmartTrak, Ease of use.

1) Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with QD and compass
2) Air integrated via hose
3) Absolutely!! I love the large super easy to figure out display, the compass, the fact that I can do Nitrix and Air on it, as well asthe fact that I can do pre-dive planning with it. Some of it's other features I like are: temp, rem air, max depth, current depth, nitrogen tissue loading status, Residual nitrogen time, safety stop countdown between 15' and 20', bottom time, USB cord to your PC for the Oceanic data spreadsheet with a virtual picture of your dive and all kinds of other information, plus the battery is user replacable.
4) Probably the Datamask, but it's pricey and a bit bulky, so I will wait a few years for the price to drop, it to decrease in size and work out whatever tweaks it might have.
5) The combination of price (I paid $499 in July 07 thanks LeisurePro!!) and functionality are what sold me, plus I am partial to Oceanic computers.
6) The only thing this computer doesn't do that I wish it did, is save my air pressure. I have to write my start and end pressure on my slate so that I remember what to log later on.
7) The QD and the fact that it tells me my air time remaining based on my current breathing rate and depth/dive profile, are my two favs I guess.

Last edited:
Uwatec Aladin Tec2G

Not air integrated, and I wouldn't have bought it if it was. I'm all about the brass and glass pressure gauges. :14:

Yeah, I guess. It can be set to be as (or more!) conservative as a Suunto or to use the standard Uwatec Buhlmann model, or in a gauge mode. So the best of all three worlds, IMO. And it does two gasses (Nitrox plus a deco gas). But just because its the right dive computer for me... that doesn't necessarily mean its the right one for you. :eyebrow:

This one is fine. I previously had a Vytec without the transmitter that had bigger display numbers but was annoying in other ways so I wouldn't do that again. The new OLED Liquidvision with touch screen display (instead of buttons) is off-the-charts cool but I didn't have fifteen benjamins to drop on what would amount to a fancy bottom timer.

Average depth calculation in gauge mode! :14:

I have three. Smallish numbers, no support yet in MacDive, and in computer mode the three minute safety stop timer goes away (not just cancels or pauses, disappears entirely) if you go a foot above or below the pre-programmed depths.

Average depth calculation in gauge mode! :14:

Suunto Vyper

No/neither

Yes, if it meets your needs/budget - good features at a reasonable price for me

Maybe something with gas switching eg Suunto Vytec - but I can manage without so can't justify the additional expense

Right place, price & time with the features I needed: air, nitrox and gauge mode for tech - all of which I used during the trip I bought it on

You get locked out of switching modes after using gauge mode until deco limit passes

Easy to use, read & change battery

I have 3 computers- 2 Nitek Duos & an Oceanic Datamask.
What dive computer do you use? 2 Nitek Duos & an Oceanic Datamask
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? The Datamask is air integrated, The Nitek Duos are not. The Datamask is integrated by transmitter.
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? Nitek Duos- Yes Good entry level tech computers. Datamask- Only if you like to listen to alarms going off all the time. A little too sensitive for my liking.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? The only other computer I would like to have is a decent & affordable trimix computer.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Nitek Duos- Cost & gas switching capabilities. Datamask- convenience of use.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Nitek- can be a little confusing to operate. Data mask- alarms are too sensitive.
The best feature of the model you use? Nitek Duos- gas switches & large display. Datamask- the air integration & easy read out.

Hey Lisa your in NYC Leisure Pro is in the city. They have the best prices around and delivery is NEXT DAY. Whatever you do don't buy your computer on ebay. i purchased a Suunto Cobra that was a pressure gauge.........I learned the hard way. I bought a Sherwood Wisdom 2 with QDC. i love this computer great price on LP. The readout is nice and large, great for air/nitrox. I personally would recommend that computer............Good Luck with your decision !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom