Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sherwood Wisdom 2 - air integrated hosed.

Would I recommend it? For a rec diving computer, I think that it's hard to beat. Big, bold screen, easy to read displays. The limitation is that it isn't a multi-gas dive computer. The hose isn't a big deal to me. I clip it close to my body ala an SPG on a Hog rig.

Aeris Elite T3 - air integrated hoseless.

Don't know yet, just barely got it but it seems like a decent dive comp setup. Easy to read numbers (not as easy as the Wisdom but it's not as big either). We shall see how this hoseless transmitter thingie work out, and whether or not I'll have to worry about losing signals underwater and all that jazz.

I used a Uwatec Aladin Pro from 1997--2005 when its battery expired...as they do at about 8 years. Not easily user changeable, so I now have bought a new Suunto Gekko. I haven't dived the Gekko yet, but the manual is considerably harder to wade through than the Uwatec was. Then again, Gekko does more than the old Aladin Pro. I like that the Gekko has water temp on it. But for my vacation diving purposes, the Aladin Pro performed flawlessly and was easy to navigate the functions.

What dive computer do you use?
Suunto D9
Vytec DS
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
AI Hoseless
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
D9-Yes, easy on battery, nice wrist computer I ware all the time
Vytec DS-Yes, safe algorithm works with D9 on 1 transmitter
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
Oceanic Data mask- To be able to see computer at a glance
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
LDS carries and services them
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
D9- small on the eyes
Vytec-none
The best feature of the model you use?
D9-Easy download cable, can ware all the time
Vytec DS- Mount on a retractor for easy retrieval.

Suunto Vytec
Suunto Gekko
Transmitter
No
Yes, easy to use and AI
Yes, easy to use and cheap
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
Maybe Mares or Uwatec
Wanted everything i had with the Gekko but with AI
I could navigate and set it up in the store without even reading the manual yet. The display is also easy readable with a good layout and there are cheap aftermarket cables for it.
For my kind of diving there are no real drawbacks
No AI
User changeable battery, pc cable and IA
User changeable battery and pc cable

I use them both in a DS boot.

What dive computer do you use?--Aeris Atomos 2
Is it an air-integrated model? Transmitter or hose? He----ll no
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?--- Yes, I guess, it seems to work, I guess
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?--- Dunno
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?--It was cheap on closeout
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?-- It has a battery in it
The best feature of the model you use?--- It seems to work so far

N

VR3 HD

Nope

Absolutely. Very readable and very clear. Its a full deco computer so accurate decompression obligations if you end up on the wrong side of a planned NDL dive. The ability to enter multiple gases mixtures you will be diving with and being able to switch the computer between mixtures and the computer will automatically update/track NDL or deco time. Additionally it will provide you with "tables" you can transfer to a slate for manual backup. Graphic profile allows you to view the profile of your dive while in progress and after.

No other computer - Likely add a second VR3 or VRX.

A full "deco" capable computer for extended range/tech diving. Choice of algorithm - Bühlmann ZH-L16 is the default and my preference but an option to use VPM B/E.

None.

Gas switching on the fly.

I also have a Sherwood Wisdom II and now realize I really do not like AI. I'm either diving to NDL limits or gas limits and there is no issue using a pressure guage and a non AI computer. The Wisdom II went bad on me and I now realize that computer/AI can fail high as well as low and with AI, could lead to a dangerous situation. The end of my last dive with the Wisdom II, tank pressure was reading 5500lbs. That computer was replaced under warrantee and I keep it as a backup.

Dwayne

Last edited:
Aladin Air Z Nitrox

Yes Transmitter

Yes, never any problem

It was outdated so the shop sold it super cheap

Battery can not be changed

Big display, all information is easy to see

Aeris XR2 really like it so far..

Aladin Tec, wrist mount, not integrated, no really unusual features. For a backup I have a Cressi Archimede II, another wrist mount non integrated unit. It will do two gasses, but I don't use it for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom