Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What dive computer do you use?
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

Suunto Mosquito

I think the Mosquito is being fazed out and is now the D-4 (correct me if I'm wrong?)

In the market for something different, not sure?

Price and reliablility were the biggest issues for buying it!

Drawbacks: It's my second one, the 1st one had problems after 14 months, but LP was very good about taking it back, and sending a new one soon.

Suunto is conservative, maybe too conservative, but!!!! When it's your life, sometimes that is not bad!

Ease of use, is the best feature!

Oceanic Versa Pro 3 gauge console with quick disconnect .... also use a Veo100NX wrist model. Reasonably priced (both are pre-owned). Both have fairly large displays (very important to me). Both have user changeable batteries. Both work fine ... no complaints or problems. I'm not particularly conservative with air use so the algorithm is not an issue (remaining air usually dictates my length of dive).

What dive computer do you use? Oceanic Veo100NX
Is it an air-integrated model? Yes /Hose

Would you recommend it? Yes - Because of the following reasons:
  1. My SO and I are just starting this year. So we wanted a basic set up instead of renting. With the number of dives we have done and have planned we will come out ahead. Oceanic also has an upgrade/trade program incase we need more.
  2. The Veo100 is one of the most basic and cheapest. We looked at upgrades and decide that for recreation diving we plan for this year, we didn't need/nor pay for more features. We also bought 2 (1 for each of us). So cost would have been doubled.
  3. This is a simple one button use computer. Reliability- less to go wrong or break down.
  4. It has a large easy to read display. Less features also means the display was easy for us to understand early on in our training.
  5. No SOUND alarms. They get real annoying in the classes we took (from the other divers systems). It does have visual alarms, but they are not that important in the recreation dives we have taken and planned to take during our vacation.
  6. So far as a new diver I like the console mount. Always attached and ready to go. One less thing to put on or forget/loose. One less thing to distract me from paying attention to the dive (looking for neat fish)and my buddy.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Not sure yet.

1. VEO 250 because of PC upload.
    [*]
    PRO PLUS 2 because of LARGER display
    [*]
    DATAMASK HUD -because - “It is way to cool”…
Why?
I did consider that more advance systems might mean more problems or failures. I also figure that for our dives I shouldn’t be using the system very much. I need to enjoy the dive and pay attention to my surroundings, DM and my buddy.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Price/ease of use
A computer upload option. I might want to upload our dives with our pictures. So far I use our log book and added picture printouts. Sort of an old fashion scrap book. I have also used online picture sights for my uploads. Our dives are not very advanced so I do not miss the analytical part of some of the software. The computer geek in me does think about it though.
I’m still waiting for an under water navigation/GPS system integrated for downloading/uploading from my GPS enabled laptop/topographic/camera software (LOL).:dork2:
The best feature of the model you use? Big display/one button use.

JT Divers recently started a thread regarding wrist computers that are air integrated. That got me to thinking that it would be interesting to get the ScubaBoard users thoughts on all the different computers out there (wrist models, hose models, even the new data masks), by taking a survey on which computers they have/use or would like to get. So, if you’re interest, answer a few questions.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?

Can’t wait to see what the responses are going to be! :blinking:

Suunto Vyper
No
Yes, its been a wonderful computer. I like the conservative approach to the algo and it has a nice large display that is easy to use at a quick glance. Operations Manual is very easy to use so understanding it at first was quite easy.
I will upgrade to an AI Vytec in a year or so.
I see no drawbacks to the Vyper at a sport divers computer. If your wanting to use it for technical diving then you cant change gases.

Your questions while good, all depend on the use of the computer. Assuptions of sport vs. technical diving make the list completely different.
I dont see any drawbacks

Yankeenica brings up a point that is very important to me a well. I have excelent distance vision, but my ability to focus in the range of 1-1.5 feet is problematic ,and can not be corrected by prescription. So large numbers on a digital dispay is important to me. Anyone have recommendations for large easy to read displays?

I'd have to say that the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 has the largest and easiest to read display of any computer I've seen. The backlight feature is nice too.

Well, now that I asked all of you, perhaps I should say what I ended up buying.

I decided to go for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with the compass and quick disconnect feature. My reasons ...

1. BIG screen (easier for my "gettin' older" eyes to see)
2. Air integrated (I like that I don't have to then go out and get gauges ON TOP of buying the computer)
3. I like that it's attached, even if it means another hose, because I seem to misplace things very easily! (must be the blonde in me)
4. I like the ability to disconnect it easily, so when I'm at a resort where I can leave my dive gear at the shop/shack, then I can take the computer back to the room with me, to either update my log book, or just to ensure that it won't go missing!
5. I know there are ones that have the electronic compass, but I have number dyslexia, so that's not good for me.

I had rented the same computer for a recent trip, so I knew I was comfortable using it. And I'm very happy with my purchase! Now, I just need to get in the water!!!! Darn it, living in a colder state, without dry suit certification!!!!

Excellent choice!!:D

1. Cressi Edy

2. No air integration.

3. I would recommend it for entry level divers who are also considering about doing Nitrox in the future.

4. At the time I bought it, I was considering the Suunto Mosquito. However, after the dive shop let me test both I choose the EDY. When I get more experience and take diving to the next level, such as a dive master, I will consider upgrading my computer to something more high tech.

5. I wanted a nitrox compatible computer that was compact, easy to read simple to use, yet has a lot of necessary features for entry level divers.

6. Does not support tri-mix. Also does not come with a USB cable for PC mode.

7. Easy to use and read and has a loud beeper

Last edited:

--Oceanic Datamask
--Yes, transmitter.
--Yes, greatest thing since sliced bread. Data is right there in front of your face, all through the dive. Computer is sophisticated.
--IMNSHO, the mask is the only way to go.
--In mask display so I don't need glasses underwater.
--Obscene cost (if lost your day is pretty much ruined) and computer interface.
--One less hose and in-mask display.

What dive computer do you use? Mares Nemo Excel
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? No
Would you recommend it? Perhaps Why/why not? No clear cut way to tell the surface interval
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Not sure which other one I would buy if any in that price range, but I would certainly look do more research about other modes.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Positive reviews and price
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Does not tell SI, backlight display only stays on for 4 seconds, heavy, feel like algorithm is too conservative.
The best feature of the model you use? Ease of use

I'm a new diver and this is my first computer. Overall I like it, but don't know if I would purchase it again, although I might. Now knowing what kind of features I like or don't I have some baseline to compare other computers to. I may find that is the best thing for me in that price range.

: I use an aeris manta

: no

: yes, good features, nice price range

: Suunto D6 or D9 :)

: features I needed plus reasonable price

: can't think of any so far, when I find out one I will let you know

: computer connectivity gives you complete diving profile, I love it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom