Your computer --- a survey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, now that I asked all of you, perhaps I should say what I ended up buying.

I decided to go for the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 with the compass and quick disconnect feature. My reasons ...

1. BIG screen (easier for my "gettin' older" eyes to see)
2. Air integrated (I like that I don't have to then go out and get gauges ON TOP of buying the computer)
3. I like that it's attached, even if it means another hose, because I seem to misplace things very easily! (must be the blonde in me)
4. I like the ability to disconnect it easily, so when I'm at a resort where I can leave my dive gear at the shop/shack, then I can take the computer back to the room with me, to either update my log book, or just to ensure that it won't go missing!
5. I know there are ones that have the electronic compass, but I have number dyslexia, so that's not good for me.

I had rented the same computer for a recent trip, so I knew I was comfortable using it. And I'm very happy with my purchase! Now, I just need to get in the water!!!! Darn it, living in a colder state, without dry suit certification!!!!

Oceanics cater to the rental market because they are inexpensive.

What dive computer do you use? Sunnto Gekko
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? no, no, wrist mount
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?I am a new diver and would highly recommend this to someone just starting out. $250-285 is a more than reasonable price for this comp.
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? This is my first comp.
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? ease of use, the price and nitrox compatibility down the road.
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? I don't get to use it enough
The best feature of the model you use? wet mode auto on

What dive computer do you use? UWATEC Aladin TEC2G.

Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? It's a wrist mount (non air-intergrated) model - I replaced the regular mount with a Deep Sea Supply mount.

Would you recommend it? Why/why not? I would, for those who wants a great bottom timer for technical diving... I've never used the unit as a "computer," to be honest.

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? Probably a UWATEC Galileo Terra - I love the large screen (+ big numbers) and the fact that I can see all the info I need on one screen, as opposed to having to use tiny buttons to toggle between different displays.

What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? The great gauge mode and relatively low cost.

The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? The unit sometimes stays in "wet" mode (screen shows surface time with log and other mode not accessible) and does not turn itself off automatically long after surfacing - I always check and make sure to rinse in fresh water and dry the unit to prevent this but a friend of mine has had this problem which led to excessive battery drain.

The best features of the model you use? Great gauge mode - stop watch with seconds increments and a resettable depth averaging display. Also Mac compatible.

What dive computer do you use? Aladin pro.
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? ahem.... no :)
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? A very nice computer, robust, big screen and reliable (well as much as you can relay on a diving computer)
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Will get an OSTC as a replacement...
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? Easy of use, understandable and reliable deco device, and so cheap....
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? Mono gas. But you can dive Nitrox with Air computers, so...
The best feature of the model you use? Dive and forget.

What dive computer do you use?
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
The best feature of the model you use?

Uwatec Air-Z nitrox
Air integrated transmitter
I really like it, it has most of my important information all in a nice small area.
Probably a newer model like the Galileo or something, but this was so much cheaper and cost effective. Maybe when I get a bunch more money...
I like it and would recommend it, absolutely.
The biggest factor was cost effectiveness.
The biggest drawbacks are that it does not record point temperatures, only the minimum temp of the dive, it only stores 200 minutes or so of dive time, and that the data download to the PC is through the clunky memomouse.
The best feature is that it is an air integrated computer that is wireless (or hoseless rather) and that it handles nitrox.

Eric Houghton

1. Suunto Stinger
Not air integrated at all
I would recommend it if you had the budget for it.
If I were to replace the Stinger I'd look at either the Suunto D6 or Mares Excel
It was thge only wrist computer at the time of purchase (2001)
Weight above water
Covers all aspects of the diving I do

If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?

I have 3 -- Oceanic ProPlus2, Atom 2, and Datamask
All air integrated. PP2 is on hose, Atom 2 and DM use transmitter (Can use the same transmitter)
I would recommend ALL of them. They're great units!
I got the ones I wanted and have never second-guessed my choices.
PP2 -- huge disply, incredible reliability. Atom 2 -- freedom from hose/console. DM -- freedom from hose and looking outside mask.
PP2 -- no drawbacks. Atom 2 and DM -- no compass.
PP2 -- huge display. Atom 2 -- incredibly easy to use. DM -- no need to look for a computer or watch at any point during a dive.

Great thread! Here's my info;

I have 2 computers; one for Tec and one for Rec

Rec
What dive computer do you use - UWATEC Smart COM
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose - Integrated via Hose
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? - I would. It's solid, reliable, easy to read and easy to use
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? - For recreational diving I'm quite satisfied with it
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? - Recommended by multiple sources. Good set of features
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? - Extremely conservative profiles. The compas is also quite bad (slow to turn and must be perfectly level)
The best feature of the model you use? - Excellent PC integration and logbook software

Tec (just starting Technical Diving so this one's quite new)
What dive computer do you use? - Cochran EMC-16
Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose? - Non-integrated
Would you recommend it? Why/why not? - So far I would. Nice big display, very powerful feature set
If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why? - For Tec Diving I don't think I'd have chosen anything else
What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one? - Highly recommended. Divers I dive with use the same unit and it's very convenient to all be on the same page when it comes to alerts/alarms and conservative factors
The one biggest drawback of the computer you use? - I haven't found one yet so I'll have to dive more to figure that one out. I guess at this point I'd have to say the high cost of the PC integration software
The best feature of the model you use? - Nice big display and the ability to determine what type of water I'm diving in and make its calculations accordingly

As I said, I still have a lot of work to do with the Cochran to really put it through its paces. So far, though, I'm quite happy with both of these choices.

Orca Phoenix
Sherwood Source

Yes (hose)
No

I have enjoyed both. I really like the Phoenix. I's a little more liberal in the non-deco diving, but works admirably for me. The Source is a nice little unit as far as it goes. Not for deco diving, but is easily transportable and works. Would I recommend them now? It's hard to recommend something that isn't readily available.

I got very good deals on both through my LDS (back when they were brand new). At the time, I might have looked to the Monitor II, but I'm glad I didn't from a battery standpoint.

Phoenix - features and price
Source - price

Phoenix - anyone checked out Orca's latest models?
Source - older unit

Phoenix - handles repetitive diving and is easy to read
Source - highly transportable (took it to Australia and used it as a "pocket" computer so I could have an easy transition from Bar and Meters)

> What dive computer do you use?
Aeris Manta
> Is it an air-intergrated model? Transmitter or hose?
not air-integrated
> Would you recommend it? Why/why not?
yes, very basic and simple; it does exactly what I would expect from it, and nothing else; it can be used for both scuba and snorkeling
> If you could have gotten a different computer which one would it have been? Why?
Elite T3 maybe
> What was the deciding factor for your decision to purchase this one?
good price and all the needed features
> The one biggest drawback of the computer you use?
I would like a more modern interface (instead of pushing combinations of buttons, I would rather enjoy a LCD display and menus)
> The best feature of the model you use?
i cannot say there's some "best" features - it is a basic computer, with no exotic/special function.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom