Young divers VS Old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I kind of understand everyone's point of view.

Maybe the older companies and dive shops will adapt to attracting the next generation of divers, instead of focusing on the older age group, because they have money.

Then diving as a "sport" can take the next leap together in attracting more and more people.

Who knows?

Hey, thanks, man; that page really took me back through a time zone.

Thing aren't that different now then they were 30 years ago. The only thing that has changed is the method of distribution. This is a scan of a mail order company ad in the February 1979 issue of Skin Diver magazine. Substitute Leisure pro for Skin Diver mag and bingo you have today.

Young divers VS. Old divers.

In this day and age, there seems to be a "war" going on in the dive industry. We have young divers on one side and the old divers on the other.

There are many young divers and young dive companies by which I mean, the willing to change with technology and adapt to this day and age.

Then there are the old divers who stick to their brick and mortar dive shop with no interest whatsoever to adapt to the technology of the internet and the new ways of doing things.

The dive industry is in a rut, the young divers and dive companies have to win this war, in order to welcome and attract the new divers to the industry. The future of diving is coming, and it is time for a lot of dive companies to either adapt or get out of the way.

There have been many examples of this in the past couple of years.

I know most of you have an opinion on this, so lets discuss this.

What a nice broad brush you have;

Trolling is a deliberate, bad faith attempt to disrupt

NudeDiver:
Unfortunately, an opinion can never be wrong.

That's your opinion, but you're wrong.

NudeDiver:
I'm entitled to whatever opinion I want about what constitutes a sport

That you are.

NudeDiver:
amazingly, my opinion is as equally correct as anyone else's.

Labeling something "opinion" doesn't turn BS into truth. Opinions are often wrong. If I were to express an opinion that you're an idiot, you wouldn't suddenly become an idiot. Your intelligence level would not drop and my opinion would be wrong.

As this thread seems to be coming to a close, I must now reveal my true identity. I am the great great great great grandson of Noah Webster. That's right. The very same "Webster" of the famed Webster Dictionary. So if anyone here is an authority on the definition of the word "sport" and what it means, well, that would be me.

For the past several hours I have done an extensive research on what my great great great great grandfather meant when he first defined the word "sport". I have read all his papers on the subject and as much as I hate to have to tell some of you die hards, diving is not a sport.

One of the key components when Grandpa Noah first wrote his definition was the fact that.....and I quote......."The participants in said activity must display/have/demonstrate athletic ability".

Now we all know that you don't have to have any athletic ability to scuba dive. So according to my gramps......and who are we to question the great Noah Webster, by the original definition of the word sport...we can't include scuba diving.

Of course later dictionaries watered down the original meaning so people could include things like diving, checkers, golf, etc.

Glad I have settled that!

Thing aren't that different now then they were 30 years ago. The only thing that has changed is the method of distribution. This is a scan of a mail order company ad in the February 1979 issue of Skin Diver magazine. Substitute Leisure pro for Skin Diver mag and bingo you have today.

Compare 79 the prices with today's. It is much less expensive today.

Gary D.

Opinions are often wrong. If I were to express an opinion that you're an idiot, you wouldn't suddenly become an idiot. Your intelligence level would not drop and my opinion would be wrong.
In your opinion...

"Sport" goes way before Webster, who must be rolling in his grave at the depauperacy of his descendant. It comes from Middle English "sporte", a shortened form of "disporte," which arose from Old French "desport," meaning pleasure, from the verb "desporter," to divert. On might say, even today, that one goes diving to desport one's self. Well, you might say that ... I'd pass.

NudeDiver:
In your opinion...

Nope. That was pure fact. While your ignorance of what words mean will make it difficult for you to effectively communicate, your intelligence might be above average. Not that it matters much if you refuse to put it to use...

Well a better definition of a sport like diving is an extreme sport because it involves risks. Example Motocross thats considered a sport you don't run in fact you could consider it a lazy sport because they are not doing anything else besides sitting on a motorized bike (it involves risks though) thats what scuba diving is.

Did anyone read my reply.
Does anyone else agree? logically it makes sense what are your guys views under this.

:meeting:

Back
Top Bottom