Young divers VS Old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3.gif
1.gif
2.gif
1.gif
1.gif
8.gif
8.gif

Decipher that!!!

As this thread seems to be coming to a close, I must now reveal my true identity. I am the great great great great grandson of Noah Webster. That's right. The very same "Webster" of the famed Webster Dictionary. So if anyone here is an authority on the definition of the word "sport" and what it means, well, that would be me.

For the past several hours I have done an extensive research on what my great great great great grandfather meant when he first defined the word "sport". I have read all his papers on the subject and as much as I hate to have to tell some of you die hards, diving is not a sport.

One of the key components when Grandpa Noah first wrote his definition was the fact that.....and I quote......."The participants in said activity must display/have/demonstrate athletic ability".

Now we all know that you don't have to have any athletic ability to scuba dive. So according to my gramps......and who are we to question the great Noah Webster, by the original definition of the word sport...we can't include scuba diving.

Of course later dictionaries watered down the original meaning so people could include things like diving, checkers, golf, etc.

Glad I have settled that!

Your ancestral history does not define who YOU are. I come from the blood line of Daniel "the liberator" O'Connell from Ireland, but that does not make me a barrister due to being related to him. I am a fairly new diver, certified in 2006, but am "elderly" according to some young folk due to my age, regardless of how I feel. I may not be up to date on the latest technology, but my diving gear suits me fine, the dive op I use is happy to have me on board, and I have no problems finding dive buddies to dive with. There should not be a "war" between old and new divers. That's just plain silly. I think your ancestor Noah would roll over in his grave if he saw you using his name to make a moot point that serves no good purpose.

So your real concern is that the older shops won't buy advertising on your website? I must have missed the announcement!

I do believe we have a winner.

Compare 79 the prices with today's. It is much less expensive today.

Gary D.

Adjusted for inflation that is probably true. However the mail order prices and the in store prices were very close compared to the way they are today.

Thing aren't that different now then they were 30 years ago. The only thing that has changed is the method of distribution. This is a scan of a mail order company ad in the February 1979 issue of Skin Diver magazine. Substitute Leisure pro for Skin Diver mag and bingo you have today.

Thanks for that, Captain. Love the illustrations in the scan.

ok never mind then no one reads mine :baaa: :focus:

What was the purpose of this thread? Was it to make some important points or to be divisive? I'm a 55 year old gomer. Craig

Lordy, Craig, this dates me but thank you for posting this turn of phrase...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom