YO 257 or San Pedro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pumagold7

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are going to Oahu and I am looking at diving either the YO 257 or San Pedro Wreck. Which one is better and what dive shop is a good one to use to get out to them?

YO-257 and San Pedro are 50 yards apart.. and you can dive thru both of them on a single dive.

The YO-257 is 99fsw in the sand, 80fsw at the deck, 60fsw at the wheelhouse.

The San Pedro is 80fsw in the sand, 60fsw at the deck, and the wheelhouse has collapsed at 60fsw.

However, another Waikiki shipwreck you may consider is the Sea Tiger.. 120fsw in the sand, 99fsw at the deck, 70fsw at the wheelhouse.

I prefer the YO-257/San Pedro wrecks.. because they're just a bit shallower so you get more bottom time.. there are usually sharks within the San Pedro.. it's fun watching the submarines do laps around you.. plus, you get two-for-one :)

The Sea Tiger is cool too.. if you like to penetrate deep wrecks.. and shoot thru all the corridors and holds.

Dive Oahu has a boat and shop out of Kewalo Basin.. and they go to either all the time.

Gabe Scotti (scottitheduck) and I went and dove the YO/San Pedro today. We were on Nitrox 32 and we had a 45 min dive with both the YO and the San Pedro. Saw a 6 foot white tip Shark and a lot of cool sea turtles. The day before I saw a lot of tuna there that where huge! Its a great wreck with a lot to see.

If you wanna hit them up I suggest Kaimana Divers with Gabe Scotti. Hes a lot of fun and can show you some really cool stuff. He puts a nice touch with the pictures he takes and sends to ya.

The Sea Tiger is great too! I like going thru the diesel room and you might have some left overs from some of the local tech guys on the island. Havent been there in a while but I know there is a nice turtle that hangs out at the wheel house. You will enjoy Both dives.

Hey Matt! It was great diving with you and Gabe yesterday. My shark photos didn't come out so well. The YO and San Pedro was a great dive!

Today's Leaf Scorpion came out great. Add a little photoshop and it would be fantastic.

Attachments

• DSC04387.JPG
    DSC04387.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC04388.JPG
    DSC04388.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC04386.JPG
    DSC04386.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 61
Justleesa that is some amazing stuff you do with Photoshop. Great job getting the colors to come out like that.

Did I hear right in the video, "The San Pedro is a hospital ship :confused:" I thought (and it looks like) a fishing boat.

Here are some photos

YO
yopilothouse.jpg

What is left of the San Pedro's pilot house
whatisleftofthesanpedrobridge.jpg

San Pedro's Pooper
sanpedropooper.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom