YMCA and Y-Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reeb

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Everyone is wondering what is going on with the YMCA scuba program, myself included.

Here is the official news...

July 15, 2008

Dear YMCA Scuba Leadership:

As part of YMCA of the USA’s Mission Impact Strategic Plan, YMCA program areas are currently under assessment in terms of their priority toward new goals and future support that will be required to achieve them. The result of this assessment has lead to the decision to end Y-USA’s support of Y-Scuba as a program and certification body of YMCA of the USA. This letter serves to inform you of the timeline in place to achieve this objective.

As of July 15, 2008, no YMCA Scuba Instructor certification renewals will be accepted.
Any class sanctions currently obtained through YMCA of the USA will be honored, but no new class sanctions will be authorized after Dec 31, 2008.
Please see attached requirement to receive class sanctions.

As of June 30, 2009, instructors will be required to cross over to another dive agency or seek other alternatives other than teaching Y-Scuba.
Going forward from June 30, 2009 YMCA of the USA will only fulfill diver verification requests and/or administer its Y-Scuba card replacement program.

We wish to express our appreciation for your participation with Y-Scuba. Over the past years, this program has touched the lives of many YMCA members and volunteers. You have helped make a positive impact in the YMCA and diving community. We thank you for your years of service and sharing of the YMCA mission and values.

:confused:

No mention of that on their main web site.

YMCA Scuba

If NAUI had a lick of sense (it has the most similar program) they'd cross Y Instructors over gratis for some period of time.

Brewski- disappointing indeed. Tonight was the last night of a current OW class. I handed out tests and went over open water skills for check outs this weekend. That letter really set a mood for class this evening.

JeffG- yea well consider the letter was dated on the 15th and I just received it today... also consider the "Currents" publication has not been sent out in over a year.
I doubt they would use that info to market YMCA of USA anyway. I sorta went out on a limb putting it in the forums, but I feel like people deserve to know. That post was from a certified letter that all current / active Y-Scuba leadership positions should have or should be getting.
I wanted to make it known to EVERYONE. I dont expect YMCA of USA to make a public announcement so I did it for them.

joystershell (and Brewski) The YMCA is the oldest national public certifying agency in North America. I think the only older one was a fire dept. in LA that was doing certs for public safety divers but not the general public. yea, there is some history w/ the Y-Scuba program, no doubt. I feel the scuba program went right along with that mission statement: "putting Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all."
I feel let down.
I dont understand why the YMCA of the USA would want to drop that program.
I guess they think water aerobics and lap swimming will pay for all those pools.

Thalassamania (JimLap and schu1842) All of the agencies have said they would welcome us with open arms- pero no dice nada esta gratis. Nothing is ever free.

schu1842- NAUI was sort-of a spin off from the YMCA years back I believe. Irony?

and Walter, you are right. Details are being worked on as I type. There will be an attempt to create a spin off of the old program. Some people have been working very hard to see that the standards and teaching freedoms we have come to rely on dont get pushed aside. I will be supporting them in those efforts.

In short, Tom Leaird has sent this to those of us on his staff
(and I hope he doesnt mind me putting it out for the general public)

Dear YMCA Scuba Instructors,

YMCA of the USA will send each of you a letter explaining that the scuba program is being put in "sunset" mode. That means they are dropping all connections with scuba over the next year. The letter will explain the reasons and how the sunset will occur.

I have volunteered for the program for over 40 years and I do not want to see it disappear. Many of you have expressed the same to me in recent weeks. With your encouragement, I spent time in the Chicago office and I have been promised access to all existing materials and copyrights plus the past student data base for lost cards. Your address came from this agreement.

I have several close advisors that are also encouraging me to proceed with a spin-off and do what ever it takes to fulfill those things you all have requested. We will design the best way to move forward to accomplish our goal of training divers in the tradition of Yscuba. Please note, I will continue to be a volunteer. We have already developed portions of a business plan, budget, an action items list and other items to help guide our actions.

Wherever you teach now, you are there because of you and what you bring to the plate. That will not change with the change of a brand name. I know many of you have crossed over to other agencies - in some cases, at great expense. However, those of you who want to remain with an educational and values based training agency, we will welcome you and encourage your involvement.

I know there are many questions. I too have many that must be resolved in the days and weeks ahead. The only promise I can make today is that when I tell you something will be done - it will be! No empty promises. I would like to hear from you. Tell me your greatest needs and expectations so I can go into this endeavor well informed.

Will past student's C-cards still be recognized? Of course they will because you have taught to those high standards that have been recognized by our industry for many years - actually 50 years next spring. I will continue to offer my students, in class now, Yscuba cards until other arrangements are complete.

You will receive more communication from me in coming weeks as our thoughts develop. In the mean time, let me hear from you…

Sincerely,
Tom Leaird

So I felt that this info should be available to current Y-Scuba Leadership and to any potential students. The Standards we teach and the training we provide will carry on.

schu1842:
Any chance YMCA could merge with NAUI? They seem close in philosophy and standards.

The standards aren't all that close. Besides, it won't be needed. IMO, the YMCA of the USA has been holding back the SCUBA Program for several years. This may actually turn out to be a good thing for YSCUBA. Tom Leaird is one man I'd like to have heading any program with which I was associated.

Back
Top Bottom