YMCA and Y-Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully the YScuba sees just how foolish the RSTC is and ignores it.

Trace, I don't know how this will affect the RSTC status of the program, but I agree with Thal, the RSTC is as useful as teats on a boar.

Sorry to see that one of the truly great certification agencies is closing shop. I have always been impressed by YSCUBA's commitment to quality training, and I guess this is just another example of a quality program not being able to withstand the market pressure from the "certify you now, teach you to dive later" crowd.

I am curious about the recommendation for the new agency to avoid RSTC. I realize that they don't really have any "teeth" in the current industry, but it seems like it might be worth it for a new agency to join, since it would give them de facto recognition from the other member agencies. It seems like gaining recognition and acceptance in the industry would be one of the big initial hurdles for any new agency, and I don't see how joining RSTC would do anything but help with that.

Am I missing something here?

Sorry to see that one of the truly great certification agencies is closing shop. I have always been impressed by YSCUBA's commitment to quality training, and I guess this is just another example of a quality program not being able to withstand the market pressure from the "certify you now, teach you to dive later" crowd.

I am curious about the recommendation for the new agency to avoid RSTC. I realize that they don't really have any "teeth" in the current industry, but it seems like it might be worth it for a new agency to join, since it would give them de facto recognition from the other member agencies. It seems like gaining recognition and acceptance in the industry would be one of the big initial hurdles for any new agency, and I don't see how joining RSTC would do anything but help with that.

Am I missing something here?
Yup.

The RSTC is a shill that intentionally promulgates a standard so low than any agency can point to that standard and crow about how they exceed it. It's a strawman for mediocrity.

Read the old posts. link

Last edited:
Not the oldest, just close.

Regardless of age the quality of the program is what attracted me to it. I fully admit my ow training(PADI) was too easy. I went all the way thru DM in that system before I switched. Talk about an eye opener! I really regret the way my son got certed now. He had two weeks before going to basic. I sent him the books he studied and did all the knowledge reviews, he got back we went over them with the instructor and did three pool sessions in that week, went to the lake he was able to do two dives then his allergies kicked up and he had to come back a week later to finish the last two.

I was not able to go for the last two dives or the last two pool sessions. He made it thru but I saw the next time he was in the water with me for a refresher how unprepared he was and how much info he missed by not taking a full class. He's not diving now due to his assignment and he doesn't know anyone in Omaha who dives. Either on base or off. He's got leave sometime in Sept and hopefully he'll spend some of it with me and we can get in some time. Is he unsafe? No, he just did not get what I now consider to be proper training. AT the time I did not know the real differences between agencies and standards.

He met the RSTC standards but to me they are set up to allow as many people in the water as possible without regard for their safety. SO many things are what I now consider marginal or less for someone whose card I'd put my name on that I'd rather not take the chance of turning them loose. Having just looked at the standards I can see why they are set up the way they are.

I also sincerely hope that the Y program will disassociate itself from them UNLESS being one of the oldest and the one from which many US agencies got their start that the RSTC adopt the YMCA standards as their minimums. THey never will however as this will either mean the other agencies will need to revamp their programs or drop their membership. And that would mean loss of revenue or upping the price to make up for the numbers who will washout of the class. I also wonder if we are going to be allowed to continue issuing CMAS cards? I don't see why not but you never know. I'm also wondering if the new program will affiliate and tie in with CMAS Americas? Any idea, Thal, Walter, or Gary?

When I finally got officially certified in 73, it was with the YMCA. It was a tough course, and no cards were "Handed Out". You either earned them, or you didn't. As a favor, we also were given cards by a new agency just coming out - PADI.
I truly hope to see the Y program continue in one form or another. I hope the standards remain as exacting as they always have been.
Safe Diving,
George
PADI MSDT 33859
Prime Scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom