YMCA and Y-Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your phrase:
the same program under a different name
triggers the question: Can they use a name that retains historical significance? Presumably it couldn't be YMCA Scuba, but could it be YSCUBA? Or something similar?

knotical:
Can they use a name that retains historical significance?

I certainly hope so.

knotical:
Presumably it couldn't be YMCA Scuba, but could it be YSCUBA? Or something similar?

YSCUBA is the current name, so not likely. I hope I'm wrong.

When I Google on YScuba, the only official site I find is the YMCA Scuba Site. When I use their search engine there looking for YScuba (or Y-Scuba), I get very little, almost like it’s slang. Perhaps they haven’t registered the name and it could be used.

I just spoke to Tom. Things are coming along. Watch for details in the coming weeks. You Y guys can PM me and I'll go into more detail but suffice to say we are looking at a more streamlined process for certs, ie no more "silly"(Tom's word) sanction letters for every class. That was one of the things I saw that, and he agreed, doomed the program. ALso why those who had instructor status with other agencies would train to Y standards but issue a card from the other agency. Easier and quicker. He was aware of this also and is one of the prime reasons for allowing us to sign up students, train them, send in the completed paperwork and get the card. Just like everyone else. Goal is also to be able to allow us to do it on-line. That may take a little time to set up but it's in the plan.

Regular newsletters ( basis to be determined) but with the goal of a quarterly publication that "will go out everytime on time", and updated, yet not compromised, standards with some new things that were available before but are not now. Like Nitrox without being an instructor with another agency. He said he spent the last week going over them and revising things.

A name is still being looked at. In fact the formal proposal was just sent to Y-USA today for the seperation. Now it's a matter of them saying ok to this but maybe not this. So there may stil be some negotiations that will include that point.

One thing he did say was that there will be letters/emails going out to those of us in leadership positions asking for feedback and maybe some help with different things.

Personally I'm excited. He's a great guy to talk to. He was busy but still took time to take my call and explain what he could as well as listen to my concerns. Hang in there guys. I believe it's going to happen and be better than before, yet still retain the original high standards and spirit.

It has been considered to just start a new organization, but Tom has gotten so many emails from people begging him to keep the Y-Scuba spirit alive and he feels obligated to do his best w/ that... so for now, thats the plan. There may or may not be a name change, everything is still questionable.
We just wont be part of the YMC of the USA.

If Tom has his way I suspect this will be just a simple matter of YMCA of the USA getting out of the picture, allowing us to "breathe new life into the scuba program" and permit it to actually prosper.

Please feel free to contact Tom and give him your support.
I wouldnt count on getting questions answered that have not been addressed here. He has more questions than we do and nobody is sure what is going to happen yet.

Last edited:
JimLap:
and updated, yet not compromised, standards with some new things that were available before but are not now. Like Nitrox without being an instructor with another agency.

Jim, to what are you referring? I got my YMCA Nitrox Instructor card without ever teaching anything for another agency.

This was my post - if you read the current YMCA specialty standards (In the back of the big three-ring binder) you will note that in order to get approval to nitrox under YMCA you must submit proof that you are certified to teach nitrox by another agency. I don't have my copy with me so I can't point to the exact page.

At one time YMCA had a full Nitrox instructor progam but my understanding is that there was a falling out with some of the guys that were in charge of the training materials. There is no longer any in-house Nitrox instructor training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom