Yet another spring strap question (sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bayou Platypus:
Still having issues getting the Manta Spring Straps (with the stainless steel clip) to fit a pair of Mares Volos.

The post on the fin is a little too big, so the clips do not quite fit. The "Helpful Hints" on the instruction page recommend lightly filing the inside of the metal clip until it fits the post on the fin. Has anyone been successful with "filing" their Manta Spring Straps?

Honestly, I am not crazy about the Manta design. I have them on my A Quattros. At teh LDS where I got them, the person behind the counter put them on for me and mangled the heck out of my posts. Now they are a bit loose, so I had to DIY a zip tie in a fugure eight around the post and clip to hold it there. One fin did come uclip before that.

Personally, if I had it all to do over again, I would go with the DIY solution that Boogie711 from this board sells. His "clip" is a "U" bolt that is held in place with a screw. Fits more securely than the Manta and less of an entaglement hazard...

If you check out any post by Boogie711, he has the link to the product in his signature...

JAG

jagfish:
Honestly, I am not crazy about the Manta design. I have them on my A Quattros. At teh LDS where I got them, the person behind the counter put them on for me and mangled the heck out of my posts. Now they are a bit loose, so I had to DIY a zip tie in a fugure eight around the post and clip to hold it there. One fin did come uclip before that.

Personally, if I had it all to do over again, I would go with the DIY solution that Boogie711 from this board sells. His "clip" is a "U" bolt that is held in place with a screw. Fits more securely than the Manta and less of an entaglement hazard...

If you check out any post by Boogie711, he has the link to the product in his signature...

JAG

Perhaps that's why the Mantas were on sale at the LDS...

I bought a set of the pin style Manta spring straps and installed them on my ScubaPro twin jets. I love em to death, easy to install, easy to don/doff. By far one of the best purchases I've made to date.

Mel

melfox26:
I bought a set of the pin style Manta spring straps and installed them on my ScubaPro twin jets. I love em to death, easy to install, easy to don/doff. By far one of the best purchases I've made to date.

Mel

Thanks--my next purchase will be a set of pin-style spring straps...but in the meantime, I'm trying to get the stainless steel clips to fit. Any suggestions?

jagfish:
Suggestions about what?

Did you check out the straps made by Boogie711. I think they are something like 40 dollars delivered, more secure in attachment and here is the link:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/springstraps.html

JAG
I can second that.
I have Boogies spring straps on my Quattros and love them. One of the best pieces of gear I ever bought.

jagfish:
Suggestions about what?

Did you check out the straps made by Boogie711. I think they are something like 40 dollars delivered, more secure in attachment and here is the link:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/chatterton/springstraps.html

JAG

Suggestions on how to attach the Spring Straps with the stainless steel clips--I've already purchased them. NEXT TIME, I'll go with Boogies pin clips, but for now, I'd like to get my steel clips to fit.

Don't the clips come with directoins?

If you post has a vertical nub to keep the original plastic clip from rotating (like on the Quattros), you will have to carve that off. Then just snap the clip on.

In my directions it talked about how to adjust for post that is too large or too small, but I find these quick fixes to be one of the reasons why I recommend the clips from Boogie.

The Manta are friction fit and can be a problem. They did come off on me once, but my post is a bit mangled from the LDS's initial attempts to put the clip on without carving the numb off. Like I described in an earlier post, I Jerry rigged a zip tie into a figure eight around the post and through the clip, but I consider that to be a temporary fix until I replace the straps...

JAG

jagfish:
Don't the clips come with directoins?

JAG

YES! I tried to explain this in my first post on this thread (post #40).

Still having issues getting the Manta Spring Straps (with the stainless steel clip) to fit a pair of Mares Volos.

The post on the fin is a little too big, so the clips do not quite fit. The "Helpful Hints" on the instruction page recommend lightly filing the inside of the metal clip until it fits the post on the fin. Has anyone been successful with "filing" their Manta Spring Straps?

and YES, I realize you do NOT like the Manta spring straps as well as the straps with the pin clips--you've mentioned that a few times in this thread. :wink:

Bayou Platypus:
YES! I tried to explain this in my first post on this thread (post #40).

and YES, I realize you do NOT like the Manta spring straps as well as the straps with the pin clips--you've mentioned that a few times in this thread. :wink:

Forgot about your particular sitution. Don't know how to help since my "post" was the correct size until it got mangled...

I would not be confident about any "Jerry rigging" that would ahve to be done with the post attachment. The "costs" of a lost fin is just too high.

You might consider keeping the spring and changing the post connection (if the spring size permits, it might be too short for this since the manta clips are rather long).

Anyway, somwhere in the DIY archives is a discussion about clips and springs and such and you can find the shackle that Boogie711 uses at Home Depot and/or some online SS supplier that is named in the thread. All the details are given in that thread. That way, you might be able to get a nice shackle and connect your spring really securely and confidently.

Try a search for Spring Straps in the DIY forum...

JAG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom