Yet another spring strap question (sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just completed a deal on a pair of XL turtles with 12" Halcyon springs for $60. The seller claims they have only been used once. I guess I will know their condition for sure when they arrive later this week.

I saw spring straps on Leisure Pro site, under new items. If I remember correctly they were under $40.

I just checked again and they under Fin Accessories. They are made by Manta. Two kinds. One has like a D-ring type thing that you use pliers or some tool to squeeze closed for $39.95. The other has a stainless steel clip like you use on the post (like is found on Mares Quattro) for $42.95.

Juls64 once bubbled...
One has like a D-ring type thing that you use pliers or some tool to squeeze closed for $39.95.

I have the Manta fin straps on my Turtles and they're awesome! In fact, I thought the FifthD straps ARE the Mantas. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Hey you DIR guys, what is the BIG difference between the Mantas and the one's with the "H"???
As long as they don't have any obvious shortcomings/design flaws/substandard components, spring straps are spring straps..

No one has actually suggested MEASURING your boot in the fin to determine what size strap you need. Put your rockboot on, put your fin on, and then using a tailor's tape measure (the floppy kind), measure around the back of your boot from pin-hole to pin-hole on the fin, where the pin that holds the original strap buckle goes through the lump of rubber on the side of the fin.

So measure that, and then deduct 1.5" or so for stretch. Order that size strap. Fifth Dimension sell their springs measured by total length, rather than the length of the actual spring, so if you measure 12.5" around your boot, deduct 1.5" to get 11" - so order 11" springs. The actual spring that turns up will be a 10" SPRING, 11" in total length with attachments.

Get any spring strap designed for a JetFin - the different designs all work the same. Except Dive Rite spring straps for quick release buckle fins - they were designed by someone who doesn't understand why you use spring straps in the first place.

The Fith D, Manta, some of the homemades are all are similar to the Jackie Smith SS. I think he was one of the first to make them for sale. I have had them for about 5 years and love them.

Eric

No, they are not.

Mantas do not have cave line inside them and the springs are not as strong. You could easily overstretch them. The Mantas come with a Delrin end piece and not aluminum like the 5thD version.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

I have the Manta fin straps on my Turtles and they're awesome! In fact, I thought the FifthD straps ARE the Mantas. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I just stumbled onto them while poking around the dive area of Ebay last week. I really expected that they would go for upwards of $100. I was just lucky that there weren't ten other people like me finding them at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom