Yet another spring strap question (sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis,

Thanks for that tip!! I'll post my impression of them when I receive them next week, if anyone is interested?

Thomas

Glad I got mine for 35.00 + s&h!! :D And my Jetfins for 34.00. Both on ebay!

Thomas

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Because I'm in between sizes (9 Rockboot...too large for XL Jets, a bit too small for Turtles)

I thought you could fit size 9 rockboots in XL Jets. anyone anyone?

cnidae once bubbled...

I thought you could fit size 9 rockboots in XL Jets. anyone anyone?

I thought so, too. In fact I wear a size 9 so I'd like to make sure before I buy them :wink:

Make yourself a set using decent bungee, cable ties and some PVC tubing. Took me 30 mins, cost £4 ($6) and they are great:mean:

dsgobie:
DO NOT BUY the Mantas SS springs for the post style fins like the Mares Quattro's. They will BREAK! The pin that is used to connect the spring and the clip is a worthless. It is just a steel pin that has SS "caps". It's not secure at all. My dive buddy just lost a fin last week due to it.

The caps used have sort of a "star" like cut in them. I think the idea is, once pushed on, they wont come off. Not true.

I haven't seen the Halcyon straps for the post. But don't waste your money on the Mantas.

As for the Mantas for the Jet Fins. They seem GTG... I have them on my jets and haven't had any problems.

Feedback??

I have aset of these exact spring straps on a pair of TUSA split fins and a pair on Mares Avanti Quatros and have NEVER had a problem. The ones on the mares have been there for almost two years and the ones on the TUSA's have been on there for about 5 months. I have never had a problem with my manta spring straps all though i paid $55 a set.

dsgobie:
DO NOT BUY the Mantas SS springs for the post style fins like the Mares Quattro's. They will BREAK! The pin that is used to connect the spring and the clip is a worthless. It is just a steel pin that has SS "caps". It's not secure at all. My dive buddy just lost a fin last week due to it.

The caps used have sort of a "star" like cut in them. I think the idea is, once pushed on, they wont come off. Not true.

I haven't seen the Halcyon straps for the post. But don't waste your money on the Mantas.

I took the chance since I was having troubles finding the other brands of springs straps, and bought the Manta's. I just got them today so I can't comment on the durability but I can say that the design has changed.
There is now a SS button head bolt with a nylon lock nut instead of the SS caps as mentioned by dsgobie. This also allows you to replace the delrin spacers if they would ever break or wear down. The tubing is fairly flexible but there is still no bungee to stop you from stretching them. That can be taken care of fairly easily.

The only negative thing that I can say about them at this time is that the nut MIGHT come loose and you MIGHT loose a fin. But then again if you do a regular inspection of your equipment that won't happen. I would think that you wouldn't loose a fin while you had it one because of the pressure on the bolt. You might loose it when you took the fin off.

Still having issues getting the Manta Spring Straps (with the stainless steel clip) to fit a pair of Mares Volos.

The post on the fin is a little too big, so the clips do not quite fit. The "Helpful Hints" on the instruction page recommend lightly filing the inside of the metal clip until it fits the post on the fin. Has anyone been successful with "filing" their Manta Spring Straps?

Back
Top Bottom