Yet another spring strap question (sorry)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case someone asks the same question in the future, Tom at 5thD advised 12'' (large) spring straps to go with the Turtle fins and size 10 rock boots.

Edit: The info was incorrect. I needed a 10'' spring. I struggled with the 12'' and made it shorther but those rods are hard to play with... I did order a second pair with the good size.

Arnaud once bubbled...
In case someone asks the same question in the future, Tom at 5thD advised 12'' (large) spring straps to go with the Turtle fins and size 10 rock boots.
Size 10-11 is probably the most common shoe size for men and when I bought my spring straps I had no idea which ones to get... What I did was go the site when they had the top 10 bestselling products and just ordered the 12" springs from there. I figured if they were that popular they had to be the right size...

O-ring once bubbled...

I figured if they were that popular they had to be the right size...

Well, I guess you just defined what sets us apart. You used your brain. I used my finger to dial the store...

:)

Arnaud once bubbled...

Well, I guess you just defined what sets us apart. You used your brain. I used my finger to dial the store...

:)
You used your brain, I made a stupid guess and got lucky...

DO NOT BUY the Mantas SS springs for the post style fins like the Mares Quattro's. They will BREAK! The pin that is used to connect the spring and the clip is a worthless. It is just a steel pin that has SS "caps". It's not secure at all. My dive buddy just lost a fin last week due to it.

The caps used have sort of a "star" like cut in them. I think the idea is, once pushed on, they wont come off. Not true.

I haven't seen the Halcyon straps for the post. But don't waste your money on the Mantas.

As for the Mantas for the Jet Fins. They seem GTG... I have them on my jets and haven't had any problems.

Feedback??

who usually has them up there with machined aluminum end blocks, D-ring style attachment (use a pair of channel locks to put them on), stainless springs and HEAVY cave line inside to prevent overstress.

They typically go for $25-30, and are every bit as nice as the Halcyon ones for a hell of a lot less money.

I've been using them on my fins since last summer and love them.

The springs are from McMaster-Carr and a set of three costs something like $15, so he's not making too bad of a killing on them, assuming he has a metal lathe and drill press laying around to make the end blocks with.

I know someone who purchased these on ebay. The tubing that covers the spring is horrible. It is not very pliable. This person is replacing the tubing with some Tygon (sp?) tubing. The D-ring like connection uses a thinner wire than the 5thD version, but I suspect it will still work.

Genesis once bubbled...
who usually has them up there with machined aluminum end blocks, D-ring style attachment (use a pair of channel locks to put them on), stainless springs and HEAVY cave line inside to prevent overstress.

They typically go for $25-30, and are every bit as nice as the Halcyon ones for a hell of a lot less money.

I've been using them on my fins since last summer and love them.

The springs are from McMaster-Carr and a set of three costs something like $15, so he's not making too bad of a killing on them, assuming he has a metal lathe and drill press laying around to make the end blocks with.

Very good design - very similiar to the Scubaroo straps I got for my atomics, with the exception of the aluminum barrel at the end.

Because I'm in between sizes (9 Rockboot...too large for XL Jets, a bit too small for Turtles) I had to lop off just over an inch to get them to fit correctly.

I highly recommend putting your booted foot into the fin pocket, and measuring.

K

The tubing that I got on mine is standard Vinyl tubing, and works just fine; its not overly stiff and conforms very nicely to the back of your booties

The "wire" he's using for the connection is of good grade stainless; I dive exclusively in salt water, have had these on my fins for >50 dives now, and have had zero trouble or corrosion issues with them. Its plenty strong too; no slippage or other "adjustment" issues.

This is the guy who I got them from; looks like he raised his price by $5.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3600610082&category=16054

Genesis once bubbled...
The tubing that I got on mine is standard Vinyl tubing, and works just fine; its not overly stiff and conforms very nicely to the back of your booties

I received cheap hardware grade tubing with my pair. The bend radius is too large and results in kinking at the heel. A more pliable material would provide a smaller bend radius and result in a better and more comfortable fit. Other than that, they are fine.

Back
Top Bottom