Ye Olde Small Tank Neck Manifold Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Greetings,
I have a set of old PSTs that I have manifolded with an ancient Sherwood manifold, the tanks are the older small neck, I think its .5in. Does anyone know where I can get a new manifold that fits these tanks?

if the holes are half-inch pipe threads you are pretty well stuck with old stuff. But if they are seven-eighths then there are still folks making valves for them.

Yeah, ebay. They show up quite often. What you have there are half inch pipe threaded tanks. They were once common but are no longer produced for some time now. Pipe threaed valves show up often enough if you are persistant.

Each time the pipe threaded valve is installed into the cylinder it will seat deeper and deeper eventually limiting the life of the tank. Then there are the VIP and hydro issues.

N

I would not worry too much about the repeated valving/devalving limited tank life issue. Welding tanks from pre-World War 1 are still in service. It's possibly true that tapered pipe thread valve will seat deeper in the tank each time it is de-valved/re-valved, but the effect would be small and more imprtantly it is sealed with teflon tape and the brass valve is a lot softer than the steel tank, so if anything it is the life of the valve that is limited.

Be careful with 1/2" valves on e-bay. Parts for them are next to non existant so be sure to buy one in excellent condition and in functionally condition.

I recently found 2 1959 vintage manifolds with 3/4" o-ring sealed valves that are new old stock, so it's possible that you will find a near new 1/2" valve manifold.

I have a double 1/2 " manifold in the attic. It may even have the integrated reserve. I beleive that it works. What is it worth?

I also have an old 3/4" double manifold that is in good shape and should probably get rid of.

I have a brand new never used or installed with orginal wrappings US Diver 1/2 inch dual manifold...Yes it is also for sale.

PM me if interested

sam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom