Manifold question, 232 or 300bar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gelirfella

Contributor
Reaction score
I've looked at the past threads on this but running into an issue with the 300bar Thermo manifold. I need to replace the old manifold on a set of tanks I just acquired that had an old OMS face seal manifold on them. Parts are tough to come by and expensive for a rebuild so cost would be close to the same for a new manifold. I use DIN only and plan to head to cave country within the next year. The 300 bar manifold says it is rated for Air only is the issue. But I have been advised that some techs in cave country may get weird about filling my OMS 98s without a 300bar manifold. Not sure why. I gather that it doesn't really matter if you use the 232 or the 300 bar. Would prefer not to pay extra for O2 cleaning on a new valve. Thoughts? Ok to just get the convertible 232 with a service pressure of 3442?

But I have been advised that some techs in cave country may get weird about filling my OMS 98s without a 300bar manifold.
Huh? As far as I've seen, nobody in FL cave country looks at your manifold except maybe (hopefully) to check that the isolator's open. All mine are 200 bar.

It is the user's choice. All of my manifolds are 7 thread (300 bar) simply because. All my single cylinder have 5 thread (200bar) convertible values simply because.

It really does not matter because:

It is commonly known that the minimum recommended thread engagement to make a strong connection for a component with a tapped hole is approximately 1 times the nominal diameter in steel and 2 times the nominal diameter in aluminum.

We are thinking with brass which in between steel and aluminum but call it two threads to be really safe.

Not sure why anyone would think a 300b manifold is necessary.
They are necessary when using 300 bars tanks. Which are easily available here in Europe, not so common in US.

Back
Top Bottom