O-rings for Rebuilding 7/8 Sherwood Manifolds?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OTF

Coney Island Whitefish Biologist
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
TL;DR: does anyone know a source for rebuild kits for the manifold below, or the o-ring specs to order new ones from a general supplier?

I'm posting this both as a question to the hive-mind and hopefully a future resource for other people rebuilding these manifolds. I've seen a few people post recently about buying/selling this style of old(ish) manifold, the Sherwood SVB6307D. It seems they're often employed by those of us doubling up second-hand high pressure steel tanks on a budget.
Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.54.02 PM.png

But diving big doubles probably means diving mixed gas, and diving mixed gas probably means partial pressure blending, which necessitates proper O2 cleaning and O2 compatible seals. So I'm trying to make this manifold O2 clean and I imagine other people are too. O-ring kits (let alone viton kits) don't seem readily available and the o-ring specs aren't clearly listed anywhere.

Does anyone know a source for kits? Or the specs (size, best material, and durometer) to order from an o-ring supplier? Has anyone else rebuilt this manifold?

There is an old parts catalog available here: https://www.historicaldivingequipment.com/uploads/7/3/3/8/73382381/cylinder_valves.pdf with some useful information including this page:

Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.05.45 PM.png

I'm looking for specs on:
  • Nipple o-ring outer end "G010K" (which I believe is a #010 size)
  • Nipple o-ring inner end "G011k" (which I believe is a #011 size)
  • Bonnet Nut o-ring "G1600-200A" (no idea)
  • Stem o-ring "G011L" (again I believe this is a #011, but maybe a different hardness from the "G011K"?)
I'm not sure about best materials or hardness for these. Does anyone know if Sherwood's "K" and "L" designate hardness or material? It looks like all the existing old o-rings are polyurethane. I'm debating using polyurethane which seems less common but apparently(?) is O2 safe. Or the more standard viton. Most likely I will end up using all 90a Viton since these are high pressure seals in fairly nicely machined grooves, unless someone more knowledgeable advises otherwise.

If nobody has an authoritative answer I'll post the caliper measurements I took, the o-rings I order, and eventually an update on whether or not the manifold blew up and killed me.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.54.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 7.54.02 PM.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.05.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 8.05.45 PM.png
    218.8 KB · Views: 120
A little embarrassed to have made a such a complicated thread.

A few people who I asked (as well as the northeast scuba description) mentioned that the stems for these are no longer available. If that's true and there's no easy way to adapt something else I was thinking of machining some. Not too difficult a part to make if there is any demand for them. Luckily mine are in good shape so far.

If you do machine some I’d take a set or two

Just measure the original o-rings and order new o-rings.

If you don't have the original o-rings, then just take some measurements and buy a range of o-rings, then try them out. It would cost of all of about $10.

90 Viton is a good choice, it's all I use in my manifolds.

Reactions: OTF
That was my plan, until learning that (Doh!) Northeast carries a set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom