Y valve vs H valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic505

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any knowledge or opinions on the Y valve vs an H valve?

Small doubles!

Seriously, i do like H's because they are modular, and can be conversed to a manifold, reversed, even blind plugged, and can be more versatile on first stages/hoses routing
Some may argue that it has one more o-ring adding a failure point, but is the same when you discuss solid bar versus isolation manifolds.
All that said, i would go H, and that's what i use on my steel 18 litres

Depends on what Y and H valve you are comparing as these valves have been constructed in various configurations. For single cylinders, I only use Beuchat Y valves with the double dip tubes.

I have used both.

Y valves have one less failure point than H valves if that is something you are concerned about.

H valves are modular and the 2nd first stage attachment point can be rotated for convenience of you want your first stages to sit. I beleive the 2nd attachment point of an H valve might can be removed and then joined to a minifold for a doubles setup.

While living in Europe, I primairly used an H valve. In summer I used 1st stage, and in winter 2 1st stages, I had a 3L pony bottle slung under my left arm regardless of season.

While a doubles may be better, I have upper back issues and the weight of doubles causes me a lot of discomfort when I am not in the water.

If I was to choose between H and Y, I would choose H.

-Z

This would be the first time I have ever seen a Y-Valve.

The Y-valve we typically see here in the USA is the very simple, old-school U.S. Divers or Sherwood type that accepts A-clamp/yoke regulators and has a single dip tube. I often use these for my solo dives here in MO/AR when I am doing single tank dives to moderate depths, three-season diving.

I prefer Y-valves over H-valves for their simpler construction, because they allow a simpler routing of my hoses, and because it's much easier for me to reach both valve knobs. Downsides (for me): not DIN, cannot be used on HP (3,500 psig) cylinders as is, and a bit of a pain to carry the cylinder by the valve.

rx7diver

CAREFUL! Isn't the M25 (i.e., Metric 25 x 0.75) thread different from the 3/4" NPSM thread we see here in the USA on LP cylinders?

rx7diver
Yes, indeed!

All my steels are M25, as they are from europe.
About some decade ago there was a well talked and discussed accident here in Brazil, where a late tech instructor (no, she didn't died on the acident) have a valve bursting into the sky after "machining" an american valve to fit an european cilinder.
Fortunatelly no major injuries from that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom