XL4 Lightweight Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just picked up a set (primary and octo) on Ebay (used once in freshwater pool). Looks like a solid set so far, will chime in with more when I have a chance to dive them.

I dive an XL4 and XL4 Octo. I really like them. Easy to breath light and rugged. I highly recommend them. They breath well even if the reg is upside down underwater or in currents. No jaw fatigue at all. The purge is easy to use even with gloves. They haven’t had issues in cold water for me. Original XL4 has only 1 hp port if that matters to some. The new version has 2. The braided hoses are nice feature. I do have to get my main reg adjusted once in a while to keep it performing at its best. Shop said the way they are made makes them more prone to unjusting. Let me know if you want to know anything specific.

"More prone to unjusting" yikes ...

It's convoluted design and the need for numerous speciality tools put me off. It's spec opening effort of 1.4-1.6" didn't overly impress, I know it's not the only factor, but still.

"More prone to unjusting" yikes ...

I get my set serviced once a year + I usually get the main reg adjusted once during the summer to keep them at perfect spec. Takes 15min. Nothing huge

You can certainly tell if you forget to move the second stage switch to the dive position. It makes a very large difference in the way it breathes.
Sorry, rather old comment but I couldn’t help smiling when I read it.
Purchase recently a brand new XL4+ and just returned from my Truck Lagoon trip using this regulator.
I notoriously kept forgetting about switching the position because it simply made very little difference to me. Excellent regulator for my carry-on luggage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom