XL4 Lightweight Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone got any experience, seen or tested the New Apeks XL4 ?

I have been getting great advice from this forum and am only weeks away from pushing play on an XTX50/40 setup. However, after seeing this I am having second thoughts haha. If you buy into the hype these not only breath well they are small and lightweight (not a common combo?).

At this stage i am leaning towards the XL4, but need to make a decision in the next two weeks.

Regards,

I'm on a similar path as you. Researching on regulators and tempted with this one.
The only big advantage about the xl4 I could read so far is the apparent compact size of the second / third stage.
It would be great to have anyone here sharing his experience with this regulator...

Has anyone got any experience, seen or tested the New Apeks XL4 ?

I have been getting great advice from this forum and am only weeks away from pushing play on an XTX50/40 setup. However, after seeing this I am having second thoughts haha. If you buy into the hype these not only breath well they are small and lightweight (not a common combo?).

At this stage i am leaning towards the XL4, but need to make a decision in the next two weeks.

Regards,

Seen it, haven't dived it. If I didn't already own a Legend and a Flight, I would have bought this to be my ONLY regulator, and not have one for local/cold and one for travel. For what it is worth, my salesman for the product finally dove it a month or so back, and really liked it.

1. Lightweight is all relative, but yes the second stage is compact and light, plus a braided hose. 1st stage isn't heavy, but really isn't light by design. I think when I weighed it, it was very close to the Core Supreme.
  2. Only one HP port if that matters to you, but it does have a 4th LP port.
  3. Someone said it requires same specialized tools as the Flight. While I suspect that is at least partially true, (5 unique tools for Flight) I don't yet know that for a fact At the least it is a standard 2nd stage hose and connector, not the same as the Flight. I think that saves one tool....
  4. Website says it has an opening effort control knob, but I think that is in error. Only control is the venturi, and I don't think that doubles to adjust opening effort the way that the Legend MBS does.
  5. Average Work of Breathing is .90 joules/liter, which is pretty good for a compact 2nd stage. XTX are .70, and ATX is .85
Also, here is the Scuba Labs review:
Apeks XL4 Regulator: ScubaLab Testers Choice

Okay. I’ll bite.

I purchased two XL4 DIN kits a few months ago. I’ve dove them a bit. One is on a slung AL 40 and I think it does very well in that role due to the small size. I haven’t had it out in any strong current yet tho. The other is in a pretty ordinary recreational setup. It seems just fine there too.

Basically a DS4 first stage. It does have a new over molded environmental cap. Seems just fine to me. The matte finish is a bit finger-grippier than the polished chrome on some other Apeks. Only has one HP port but that’s enough for me.

The second stage is not reversible as far as I can see, so that a slight disadvantage compared to the xtx. Some marketing materials indicated (at one point) that it was. I don’t have access to any service manual for it. But that’s the only thing I can say against it.

It is light. With the factory flexy hose it is very comfortable to use. This is my first time with those hoses as I’ve always purchased standard rubber hoses. The exhaust tees are soft and have some nice flex to them which is new to me. I have always liked the comfobite mouthpiece and it’s great here also. One interesting item is that the mouthpiece is attached with a reusable piece instead of a zip tie.

You can certainly tell if you forget to move the second stage switch to the dive position. It makes a very large difference in the way it breathes.

I’m not a DIY service guy so I have no opinion there. But as a user, it’s as good a regulator as any I’ve used. I’m happy with the purchase so far.

If you want pics of anything let me know.

I just sent a note to get clarification, but I don't see any indication of RH/LH option in the parts diagram, and the UK site doesn't include that statement. UK site also says NO for the Opening Effort Adjustment - just the Venturi.

I just sent a note to get clarification, but I don't see any indication of RH/LH option in the parts diagram, and the UK site doesn't include that statement. UK site also says NO for the Opening Effort Adjustment - just the Venturi.

I definitely saw it at one point but the stage body is not symmetrical. I think it was a copy-paste error.

Confirmed. US site currently has two errors. No LH configuration, no Opening Effort Adjustment. UK site is correct.

Just picked up the XL4 from my LDS. Can't wait to dive it. My first "new" reg. Hopefully, it works well for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom