Xcel Wetsuits- recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyMelton

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My lds sells Xcel wetsuits. I don't see much here on the boards about them. Provided I can find one that fits, do you recommend them? Looking for some expert advice here. Pros and Cons.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

I have a smie dry Polar Tri Density 9.7.6. I love the suit. XCEL has a great warranty. 1 year on seams, lifetime on panels. The new stretchy material on their 7 mm suits make them feel like 5mm. Is there anything specific you want to know?

I have an Excel from 2001 it is a 3/2 Titanium one piece and it has treated me well. It has been comfortable to dive in. It has been in saltwater and freshwater, mostly fresh for well over 100 dives and is just now getting a hole at a seam. Based on my experiences I would have to recommend them. I also have a Tilos 6.5 two piece that seems to be holding up well also but it doenst get used as much because if the water is that cold I am using a DUI.

I have an Xcel Expedition Tri-Density (1.5/1.0/.5) Tropical suit and love it! It is well made, has reinforcement on the knees and seat, which you don't always see on the thinner suits and has held up very well. It is about 5 years old and has been used and abused on many dives in the ocean as well as teaching in heavily chlorinated pools.

I would definitely buy another.

Thomjinx

I have an Xcel infinity 4/3 that has approx 100 dives over the past 3 years. Fits great, no water flow, almost semi-dry. Excellent Suit! The next suit I get will definitely be an Xcel.

Bassdean

Xcel Vortex 3/4/5 here, like it quite a bit.

Xcel is up in Haleiwa, Hawaii. They're nice people and they make great wetsuits. If the fit works and the price is ok, buy it.

I also have a Xcel Polar Tri Density and it works great for me diving in the Northeast. Very little water transfer occurs and when I get out and start to remove the suit only a couple of cups of water comes out. It has an integrated hood and the only time I feel cold water is when I occasionaly turn my head too far one direction or the other and I get a little trickle in around the hood. Same with the zipper corners -- if I bend my arm to far back, a little water comes in on the zipper corners. This summer I have been warm enough in the suit to welcome a little water intrusion!

Coldest I've dove so far is 65 fsw and 55 degrees and was very comfortable. I anticipate diving it to 45 degrees or so without any issues. Fingers and toes will be cold long before my core. It's relatively easy on, easy off althought you might need help zipping the last 3-4 inches of the chest zipper closed. It has some type of titanium lining that helps it go on easier although I still use 50/50 water and hair conditioner to "help" the process. My LDS had to special order my size and we had it in less than a week. As stated in an earlier post, also comes with a good warrenty. If you do decide on an Xcel, I think you'll like it.

Thank you all for your recommendations and high remarks for Xcel. Now I just have to figure out what suit I want/need. I guess there really isn't a one suit for most applications.

Most diving will be in Florida or south (Caribbean) or in TN in the summer. I was thinking about a 3mm suit. I don't want a shorty, I prefer the protection a full suit offers. Will a 3mm suit be too hot in the Caribbean in the summer? I am normally in the Caribbean in the winter, but that might change.

I have 4 wetsuits and I'll only buy Xcel from now on. I have a 7-6-5 Infinity. It's dry and fits well. They come in tall sizes too which helped me buy it the first time. My girlfriend has a 4-3 and loves it as well. Womens sizes are available in tall or longs too. My worn out Henderson Hyperstrech 3 mil is shot and when I get another suit in the 3 mil range, it will be an Xcel. The only problem is that I can never find one at a geat price. They're well made cost it, however they're worth it.

Back
Top Bottom