Xcel Wetsuits- recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyMelton:
Will a 3mm suit be too hot in the Caribbean in the summer?
This is an almost impossible question to answer as it totally depends on you. I have been on dives in the Caribbean where the guy in the shorts and tank-top says how great the water felt while the guy next too him in the 5mm is complaining how cold the water was.:confused:

Me, I am perfectly comfortable in a 3mm in the Caribbean winter and summer.

Plus if you get too hot, you can always open up the neck and let some water in to cool yourself off.:D

WOW - this is great info. The wife and I are looking for wetsuits for a trip in march and the xcel was one of our top picks - after reading this feedback - no question! Love this forum

WOW - this is great info. The wife and I are looking for wetsuits for a trip in march and the xcel was one of our top picks - after reading this feedback - no question! Love this forum

I noticed most of the posts were from last year except your recent post, however; I'll jump in. Your user name suggests you're from TN? I dive in the quarries here in the Southeast part of Tn. and have used an Xcel 5/4/3 Vortex. Great wetsuit! I started in April with water @ 54F, using a beanie hood and gloves and never felt cold. The cost of this suit was less than $300.00. I will probably stay with this suit for years to come.

I have two wet suits from Xcel, and love both of them.

3/2 hydrospan has been great for Caribbean/warm water diving. I had a problem with a seam, but Xcel took care of it under warranty. They gave me a new suit even though I had a sea lion bite through and tear an arm on the suit that was not associated with the warranty issue.

5/4/3 Vortex has been great in temps as low as 56 degrees, and as high as 74 degrees.

Both suits are well constructed. If they do not have your size, have your LDS order one. I have ordered suits from Xcel through my LDS, and they arrive in less than a week.

Old thread- good topic!

I have an Xcel 7-6-5 and an Xcel 5/4 hooded vest (hood=5, vest= 4). Great wet suit. I got a small discount on mine because I bought the one that had been hanging on the rack for years... and I wish I'd have paid the extra to get the newer ones that have the zipper on the calves.

I've had it for going on 5 years now and I love it! I'm very cold- I'm one of those who gets cold in tropical waters. But I dove Tobermory (Ontario, Canada) for 4 days (10 dives) in 62-52 degree water (with my wet suit and the hooded vest) and I was fine.

I also have the Xcel 6.5 boots and they've held up very well.

XCell are excellent wetsuits. You don't hear a lot about them in diving but they are #1 in the surfing industry. I own a 3mm hyperstretch and it is ideal for water temps 78-83 degrees.

Thank your LDS for stocking one of the BEST wetsuits. I dive a Polar Quad Density 8/7/6/5 in the cold waters of California, and it's the best I've tried. The integrated hood is a big plus too.

Great quality suits, but like all wetsuits, really a matter of fitting. I had the SCS tri density. Hated it. Too tight in the neck. Almost impossible for me to get the hood off without assistance. Got rid of it.

If any of you are looking to buy an Xcel wetsuit and are in Hawaii, check out their shop in Haleiwa. The staff is really cool and the prices at the actual store are way cheaper than online. If you have a friend that lives in Hawaii it would probably be more economical for them to buy it and send it to you on the mainland. Yes, it is that much cheaper. The good prices are only available in person, no online or phone orders are given the special pricing.
Just a little info from a local boy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom