Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As the originator of this thread, I can finally contribute my meager experience. I dove yesterday with my brand new Atmos 2 (non AI) on my wrist, as well as the Suunto Gekko on the console of my rental rig.

Observations (very subjective YMMV):

Wrist Pros: easy to look at and always "at hand", particularly when ascending and fiddlin' about with the BC. very stylish with the green trim matching the yellow of my wet suit in a very fetching manner.

Wrist Cons: You gotta take it off when you remove the wet suit, then what do you do with it? Wearing it on the wrist without the suit is akward (lots of strap left over), cant just leave it laying around (on a diveboat with a bunch of strangers..do you trust 'em to leave it alone if you wrap it 'round a BC strap?).

orangelion03:
Wrist Cons: You gotta take it off when you remove the wet suit, then what do you do with it?

i usually fasten it around a chest d-ring (with its own strap) and leave it alone.
i keep an eye on it, but no more. no one's ever messed with it.

make sure you re-set your mix % before every dive, just in case. it's a good
habit to get into early. i don't just dial in "air." i manually set the mix at 21%.
that way, when i do Nitrox, i'm in the habit of setting the mix. the A2 has
a water "auto on" feature, so don't get lazy with it :wink:

i also had trouble getting used to removing the thing before taking off the
suit. but after a while, it's second nature.

also, be careful when getting into your BC with the wrist unit on. it tends to
catch on straps. i usually put my computer arm in first through the BC.

H2Andy:
i usually fasten it around a chest d-ring (with its own strap) and leave it alone.
i keep an eye on it, but no more. no one's ever messed with it.

I fasten it on the inflator hose - no one messes with it.

H2Andy:
make sure you re-set your mix % before every dive, just in case. it's a good
habit to get into early. i don't just dial in "air." i manually set the mix at 21%.
that way, when i do Nitrox, i'm in the habit of setting the mix. the A2 has
a water "auto on" feature, so don't get lazy with it :wink:

I do this as soon as I analyze my tank (Or if diving air, as soon as my tank is refilled/switched).

H2Andy:
i also had trouble getting used to removing the thing before taking off the
suit. but after a while, it's second nature.

Take it off, and strap it to your BC, before you take off your BC to avoid these problems. Try it, and see if you like it!

H2Andy:
also, be careful when getting into your BC with the wrist unit on. it tends to
catch on straps. i usually put my computer arm in first through the BC.

Or put on the computer after putting on the BC. If you forget (unlikely, but stuff happens) the computer will go down with you securely strapped to your BC, and the first time you go to look at it you will go "Oh darn" and put it on - no big deal for a water activated computer).

After trying a few different things, you will find a pattern that you feel comfortable with.

Cheers,

jakubson:
Or put on the computer after putting on the BC. If you forget
(unlikely, but stuff happens) the computer will go down with you securely strapped to
your BC

yup... that's a good idea too

i just got started doing it one way, and since i haven't left the computer
uptop yet, i figure there's no need to change :wink:

(my weightbelt ... is a different story)

ScubaTwo:
Ok here goes. Im a new diver so this question might seem silly but...I have a suunto vyper console computer/spg/compass. I have it on a retractable thingy so its not hard to get at but its so bulky and I dont like the compass being on the console. So I thought about getting a wrist computer and seperate wrist compass. I dont want AI. So my question is, with the vyper can i get the computer and compass removed from the console and just have my spg? Im looking at it right now and it looks to be in 3 pieces but I just dont know. Like I said Im a new diver so still learning about equipment and stuff. Dont know if I worded this correctly. Thank you for any help. :)

You can get a wrist strap for the Vyper. Depending on the compass, you may be able to get one to work with it as well. You can get a mini-boot for your SPG.

humanFish:
You can get a wrist strap for the Vyper. Depending on the compass, you may be able to get one to work with it as well. You can get a mini-boot for your SPG.
I dunno why you'd want a boot for your SPG, but you're right on the other items.

I highly recommend doing so.

Bricker and liking it. It's slung on one of those retractor thingies (technical term, guys) off the lower left D ring. It works for me. No issues. I hate having things strapped onto my wrists. I keep my hands across my chest/stomach right there by the brick... er... console. A quick look down through the Aqua Dive Optx "old guy reading glasses" and I'm good. I don't use a compass much - when I do, I having too much fun to let the hose bother me.

The brick is difficult to forget or misplace. It isn't as likely to sprout legs. It works.

One big decision factor for me was the RGBM algorithm (Dacor darwin air). Having had a mild case of DCS many years ago, I refuse to dive using an aggressive computer.

Oh yea, I drive my Supra Turbo in SCCA and drag events. Is it a girlie car? It has curves. Does drag racing have anything to do with dressing in drag? The world awaits answers to these perplexing questions.

Ok, I'm outta the closet.

bgi:
One big decision factor for me was the RGBM algorithm (Dacor darwin air). Having had a mild case of DCS many years ago, I refuse to dive using an aggressive computer.

The RGBM algorithm is not limited to consoles....or are you just saying that the Dacor Darwin doesn't have the option to be wristmounted?

humanFish:
BTW - you may want to check the serials on that unit. There has been a recall:

http://www.divedacor.com/safety-recall.html

Hey, thanks for thinking about this. I did see the recall. The affected unit serial#'s are way way before mine. It's nice to see that it is common for people to tell me this. You are the third. I will start mentioning that I'm aware of the recall. ;-)

There aren't many computers that use the RGBM algorithm. This effectively limited my choices. It was a major factor. Plus, I hate having anthying on my arms/wrists.

Of the ones I'm aware of that use RGBM, the Mares Airlab and M1 are the same computer. Either can be bought in a wrist mount. Suunto makes some, too.

Some folks complain that the RGBM computers are too conservative. If avoiding micro-bubbles is the effect, I'm all over it. Having DCS once is once too many, even a mild case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom