Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derek S:
I don't use a console anymore, but for some people, they do prefer it that way, and who am I to tell them differently?

I'm a GUE trained diver, but I'm not blind nor brainwashed enough to see that other ways work for other people. Some don't like having things on their wrists. Some prefer having everything together laid out in a logical way.

IMHO, if a diver wants to dive a console has it stowed in a logical fashion so as not to damage reefs or stir up silt, more power to 'em. If they want to learn about becoming a more no-nonsense, streamlined diver, I'll point 'em GUE's way. Until then, as long as they are safe divers they are okay in my book.

I am not interested in telling anyone how to dive (heck, I barely know how myself ...)

I just honestly don't understand what can be "more convenient"/logical about stowing your gauges that show current direction, depth and bottom time somewhere you can't easily see them. SPG seems fine as you don't need to check it as often as the others.

And (unless I am missing something) I don't see how you use a console easily without it occupying at least one hand (which is then not free for something else)

I find it hard to buy the "I don't like things on my wrist" argument as it seems like most people could stand to wear a watch around their wrist above water and this seems similar (OK, I admit to getting a bit of a mark from bungee on compass, but that's pretty minor)

I honestly just don't get it.

limeyx:
Not sarcastic at all really (although it did occur to me that it might sound that way)
I honestly want to know what the pros are.

People saying I "prefer" is a bit vague for me. What is it they prefer?
OK, fair enough. (Though, looking over this thread, there have been reasons given... to include by me... like the ones you mention. So there. :eyebrow: )

Me personally? I recognize advantages of wrist-mounted:
-- Easier to watch the computer; particularly when surfacing when your left hand is busy with the deflator hose.
-- Easier to navigate with a wrist-mounted compass; particularly when you're doing serious limited-visibility navigation, rather than just orienting yourself.
-- Easier to take the computer separately to make logbook entries.

Disadvantages? Mainly -- ironically -- clutter. :11: Wrist clutter. Big honkin' computer strapped to right wrist, big honkin' compass strapped to left wrist, plus dive watch (backup time and backup depth gauge) strapped... where? Makes me feel like one of those old-time stolen-watch salesmen, with watches strapped under their coats all the way up to their elbows. (Yes, I know, now I'm verging on sarcasm... and it sounds suspiciously like people that don't like a "brick" hanging off their hose.)

It's not just possible to clip off a console, it's necessary. Where I dive (Red Sea), I honestly don't see many if any divers that let their consoles dangle any more (as opposed to 15 or 20 years ago). And the way I swim, I've always got it immediately at-hand.

For recreational diving, I think folks ought to experiment around with different ways of deploying their equipment, and decide on what's best for them. Admittedly, most divers probably don't do that; but I don't see a horrible problem with that. But, I'm sorry, but what someone does like isn't necessarily going to be what's best for everyone.

What kind of car do you drive? What brand? What kind of transmission? What kind of headlights? I'll bet it's different from mine, and I certainly have strong opinions about what I like. But I certainly don't think everyone else should be driving a German sedan with manual transmission and European headlights. (OK... maybe the European headlights part... :eyebrow: )

--Marek

Marek K:
.....For recreational diving, I think folks ought to experiment around with different ways of deploying their equipment, and decide on what's best for them....... but what someone does like isn't necessarily going to be what's best for everyone......
--Marek
Amen.
How great is is to have the the various points presented for consideration when figuring that out. This has been a very educational read.
P.S. don't miss the SGD part.

limeyx:
I am not interested in telling anyone how to dive (heck, I barely know how myself ...)

I just honestly don't understand what can be "more convenient"/logical about stowing your gauges that show current direction, depth and bottom time somewhere you can't easily see them. SPG seems fine as you don't need to check it as often as the others.

And (unless I am missing something) I don't see how you use a console easily without it occupying at least one hand (which is then not free for something else)

I find it hard to buy the "I don't like things on my wrist" argument as it seems like most people could stand to wear a watch around their wrist above water and this seems similar (OK, I admit to getting a bit of a mark from bungee on compass, but that's pretty minor)

I honestly just don't get it.

Ok, we're going around in circles here like a dog chasing his tail. Let me make it short and sweet:

1) I don't dive a console anymore. I prefer things on my wrists.
2) I did dive console for about two months or so, it was functional enough.
3) I can't say that diving with a console has any merits over diving with wrist-mounted stuff because I prefer my gauges/compass where they are.
4) Some people may prefer to use a console. Ask them why they prefer it that way and I bet they'll give you better answers than I.
5) Don't sweat the details! Dive with what you are happy with, who cares what anyone else thinks?
6) Just dive.....:bang:

IMO, the only reason the console is popular is because a console is far easier for dive shop staff to deal with when renting/teaching courses. The only time having everything in one place attached to an absurdly long hose on the first stage is when taking apart and storing gear. There's no comparison in the water if you ask me.

Diver Bob gets his C-card, then buys the same type of gear he learned on, never gives anything else a fair try, and life goes on.

jonnythan:
IMO, the only reason the console is popular is because a console is far easier for dive shop staff to deal with when renting/teaching courses. The only time having everything in one place attached to an absurdly long hose on the first stage is when taking apart and storing gear. There's no comparison in the water if you ask me.

Diver Bob gets his C-card, then buys the same type of gear he learned on, never gives anything else a fair try, and life goes on.

FWIW, when I used to lobster dive in NJ, we would never have anything on our wrists. It was too easy to get hung up in the hole that the lobster was hiding in.

jakubson:
FWIW, when I used to lobster dive in NJ, we would never have anything on our wrists. It was too easy to get hung up in the hole that the lobster was hiding in.
That's the only good reason for a console that I've heard yet.

Marek K:
OK, fair enough. (Though, looking over this thread, there have been reasons given... to include by me... like the ones you mention. So there. :eyebrow: )

Disadvantages? Mainly -- ironically -- clutter. :11: Wrist clutter. Big honkin' computer strapped to right wrist, big honkin' compass strapped to left wrist, plus dive watch (backup time and backup depth gauge) strapped... where? Makes me feel like one of those old-time stolen-watch salesmen, with watches strapped under their coats all the way up to their elbows. (Yes, I know, now I'm verging on sarcasm... and it sounds suspiciously like people that don't like a "brick" hanging off their hose.)

It's not just possible to clip off a console, it's necessary. Where I dive (Red Sea), I honestly don't see many if any divers that let their consoles dangle any more (as opposed to 15 or 20 years ago). And the way I swim, I've always got it immediately at-hand.

What kind of car do you drive? What brand? What kind of transmission? What kind of headlights? I'll bet it's different from mine, and I certainly have strong opinions about what I like. But I certainly don't think everyone else should be driving a German sedan with manual transmission and European headlights. (OK... maybe the European headlights part... :eyebrow: )

--Marek

Well, if we have to have the car analogy :)

Yes, I probably do drive a different model, color etc. etc. but I don't think I'd put my speedometer, fuel gauge and oil light in the back seat where I couldn't monitor them continually. I seem to like them right (ironically :wink: on the console in front of me.

:)

nick

limeyx:
I don't think I'd put my speedometer, fuel gauge and oil light in the back seat where I couldn't monitor them continually. I seem to like them right (ironically :wink: on the console in front of me.
OK, now you're stretching the analogy. I can and do monitor my gauges continually, as I've posted earlier. There's nothing about a console that prevents that.

*sigh* We're just going round and round. We can agree (most of us) that there's no one undisputed best brand of regulator (to borrow from another thread). So why do so many people feel that a particular equipment configuration that they like (and we can take this to hose configurations, BC styles, snorkel or not, etc etc etc), is what everyone else must therefore like?

Look... I believe you... and folks like jonnythan... when you tell me that you can't see one good reason for a console. Why is it so hard for you to believe that I can?

--Marek

Marek K:
Look... I believe you... and folks like jonnythan... when you tell me that you can't see one good reason for a console. Why is it so hard for you to believe that I can?

--Marek
Dude, I'm not arguing with you! I haven't even responded to anything you've said. Don't bring me into this :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom