Wrist vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

limeyx:
Not to be difficult but would it be possible to actually list the merits of a console? Maybe I missed them from earlier in the thread.
*sigh* You're not being difficult? Maybe a touch sarcastic? :11:

Some -- probably many -- maybe most -- divers prefer them. I've tried both ways, and I'm undecided right now -- though I'm using a console. You prefer wrist-mounted? That's great! And right... for you.

--Marek

I used wrist mount compass, depth gauge and watch for years. I was happy to get rid of the clunky things and get a "brick" console. Now I have a nice compact Suunto Cobra with a compass. I'd never go back.

Virtually everyone who posted an opinion on using AI (particularly wireless)for monitoring tank pressure was against it. Is this because it is a new technology still being proven, or do these units have a poor performance record in the field?

I am only questioning the historical reliability and accuracy of AI for monitoring tank pressure. I have read, and understand, many of the other concerns people have with AI units, but I haven’t seen anything objectively stating what their performance record is as pressure gauges.

It is my understanding that SPGs were met with disdain/distrust when they first hit the market, as were the first dive computers. Divers eventually embraced both to the point where most would not dive without them.

Does this technology need a few more years to prove itself, or is tank pressure too important to ever trust to a computer and wireless transmitter.

ClevelandDiver:
Virtually everyone who posted an opinion on using AI (particularly wireless)for monitoring tank pressure was against it. Is this because it is a new technology still being proven, or do these units have a poor performance record in the field?
They're just not as reliable as SPGs. Batteries die, signals get lost, etc etc. Add to this the fact that it's non "standard," a buddy in a desperate situation may not know where or how to find your tank pressure, you have one more piece (transmitter) to break or malfunction, blah blah blah, they're not at all necessary in any way. And for the priveledge of all of this, you get to spend hundreds and hundreds of extra dollars :wink:

I'm the biggest gear head and early adopter around, but this is something that I'll never use.

ClevelandDiver:
Virtually everyone who posted an opinion on using AI (particularly wireless)for monitoring tank pressure was against it.

(snip)

Does this technology need a few more years to prove itself, or is tank pressure too important to ever trust to a computer and wireless transmitter.

I have a problem with AI for one big reason. Lots of people use it, thinking they can eliminate the hose for their SPG. And they have no backup, analog SPG. Tank pressure is just too important to leave to chance. Because of the technical difficulties with AI just mentioned by Jonnythan (and others), it is not reliable enough as one's ONLY means to check tank pressure.

I really don't have a problem with AI, as long as there's also a backup SPG clipped to my waist.

Mike

Marek K:
*sigh* You're not being difficult? Maybe a touch sarcastic? :11:

Some -- probably many -- maybe most -- divers prefer them. I've tried both ways, and I'm undecided right now -- though I'm using a console. You prefer wrist-mounted? That's great! And right... for you.

--Marek

Not sarcastic at all really (although it did occur to me that it might sound that way)
I honestly want to know what the pros are.

People saying I "prefer" is a bit vague for me. What is it they prefer?

As far as I could see, pros of console would be:

1) Less likely to get lost on boat/surface compared to wrist
2) gauges are all in one place
3) having things on the wrist seems to physically irritate some people?

disadvantages

1) might end up dangling down behind you dragging on coral and creating an entanglement hazard (Ok, it is possible to clip it off)
2) Unless someone is leading you, it seems you want quick access to a compass. Seems harder on a console than wrist
3) harder to see your depth, dive time at a glance
4) You would (presumably) have to hold it in one hand on ascent/descent (where depth is even more important than during the dive), which makes things more awkward

I think the statement that most divers "prefer" console might be a bit misleading without asking how many have actually tried wrist :)

Out of interest, what is it about wrist mounted that you didn't like ?

I'm honestly not trying to dis anyone. I am in no position to tell someone else how to dive (unless they are part of my buddy team maybe and then as long as they are safe for that dive, it's not much of an issue).

I just genuinely don't see many pros in the thread for console.

I understand and agree with the potential problems associated with AI technology. My question is what is their actual track record? How often does the wireless transmitter fail to deliver an accurate signal of PSI when compared to a backup SPG? Has anyone personally had this happen to them? Have the manufacturers rushed to get this innovation onto the market at the expense of reliability, or do they have a an excellent performance record so far?

i don't think anyone's done a comprehensive survey on AI's track record

i can tell you this, if a computer doesn't have a wireless transmitter, you have a
100% chance that the transmitter won't malfunction, guaranteed :wink:

as far as regular pressure gauges, they're a hunk of metal and glass. very little
can go wrong with a quality SPG

limeyx:
Not to be difficult but would it be possible to actually list the merits of a console? Maybe I missed them from earlier in the thread.

I don't use a console anymore, but for some people, they do prefer it that way, and who am I to tell them differently?

I'm a GUE trained diver, but I'm not blind nor brainwashed enough to see that other ways work for other people. Some don't like having things on their wrists. Some prefer having everything together laid out in a logical way.

IMHO, if a diver wants to dive a console has it stowed in a logical fashion so as not to damage reefs or stir up silt, more power to 'em. If they want to learn about becoming a more no-nonsense, streamlined diver, I'll point 'em GUE's way. Until then, as long as they are safe divers they are okay in my book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom