Wrist Computers - I Need Your Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Worth mentioning that NONE of those actually factor into the deco model used by the computer.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. A wireless wrist unit does not eliminate a hose in practice, as most add a SPG on a hose anyway. Putting a compass on one wrist a gauge on another just scatters the information all over the place.

Adam

Adam, you hit the nail on the head.

I'm always trying to minimize and streamline my rig. So ... IF it works well and is reliable (and that is my question), an AI wrist computer with digital compass would eliminate one HP hose, one retractor or clip, the bulky console, and the separate compass, and put everything I need on my left wrist where I can easily see it.

If you are willing to spend 1700 on a computer, there really is no option but the Shearwater Predator. There simply is nothing better. The ONLY argument could be that it's not air integrated.

It's bright as the sun, it's big enough to read. It can be tailored to you specifically, conservative, agressive, for fat people, lean people, dumb people. It will work for OC, SCC, CCR. There isn't another computer on the market that will do everything the Shearwater will do. It's built well, user friendly, and will be many many years before you outgrow it.

Dumb people??? :confused:

I'm 63 and my mind isn't what it used to be (seriously, I think I am in the early stages of Alzheimers) but maybe there is hope!:wink:

I don't know . . . in that price range, I like the Liquivision. It's smaller, brighter, and uses a tap interface so there are no holes in the casing to flood.

But I don't think Mike is looking for a $1700 computer.

Mike, I think Peter's advice is spot on. You'll love having your depth and time information on your wrist, and you can use anything you want for your pressure.

My experience with digital compasses is that they are virtually worthless. You'll prize my SK-7 out of my cold, dead hands.

Lynne - I can see depth on the wrist as being wonderful, especially for blue water or wall dives, and for stops also. But what do you use a timer for?

Adam, you hit the nail on the head.

I'm always trying to minimize and streamline my rig. So ... IF it works well and is reliable (and that is my question), an AI wrist computer with digital compass would eliminate one HP hose, one retractor or clip, the bulky console, and the separate compass, and put everything I need on my left wrist where I can easily see it.

I'm just not sure about the digital compass. Lynne says they're useless and I can see it being hard to use in practice. Also I find it easier to wear the computer on the right wrist as you use your left to work the inflator as you ascend.

If I were you I'd just continue with the Cobra until you're ready to upgrade to one of the high-tech color units. If the stiff HP hose bothers you you can change to the pencil thin Miflex HP hose and put the Cobra on that. If you do go this route go with a longer hose.

Adam

Mike,
are you looking for a watch dive computer or for a wrist one ?
As someone else said already they are different animals :D

If you want big numbers, then wrist could be a better choice because they usually have more real estate (viewing area) then the watch types.

As far as I know there are only 5 wrist computers with integrated digital compass. So far we tested 2 of them and they work quite nicely.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Mike, I monitor my dive time and my profile in my head as I dive. I don't use a computer to determine my no deco limits or the shape of my dive. So having my dive time easily available is key. Time is also gas; I can usually tell you, based on starting gas, profile and time, how much is in my tank, and I'm often accurate to within 100 psi. It's an awfully nice facility, and ones gauges become backups.

As stated, I use my computer on my right wrist, so that it can be watched while ascending and leave the left hand free to use the inflator or dump valve.

I would HIGHLY recommend trying to borrow and try a gauge with a digital compass in it, before you pay any additional money for that capacity. I've been totally underwhelmed by both of the ones I've tried.

Mike, even if you decide to buy one of the fancy new wrist computers, I'd still keep the Cobra. It gives a backup tank pressure reading, a backup computer, and the trusty SK7 analog compass in a spot that is more logical for navigation than the wrist.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom