Wrist Computers - I Need Your Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have just started using a new hoseless wrist computer UEMIS SDA I have owned many brands going back to the Oceanic Datamaster 1988 vintage Suunto, Sherwood Oceanic.. The Oceanic Aeris lines offer lots of bang for the buck easy to use etc good service ... this new item 2 yrs old in europe new to north america is a mind blowing device I am learning more about this SDA everyday built by ex Uwatec people the display brightness is adjustable . this SDA is leading edge of where dive computers need to be in my opinion. this is not a wrist watch ..

I wouldnt bother with AI - you still need to carry an analogue backup and ive seen no end of people delaying everyone on dives while they try to get the damn things to sync properly. Half the time they just give up and get in anyway.

Digital compass. Yeah it works but its not as nice as a big analogue one on a wrist.

Why look at the D9 as well- unless you want a really small watch style one. The Vyper Air and so on do all that at 1/3 the price.

Mike,

I happen to believe the Cobra is a very nice computer and I would urge you to continue to dive with it. HOWEVER, if you have the SK7 on it, take it off and put it in a DSS boot and wear it on your left wrist.

Then get a bottom timer for your right wrist and I believe you'll have the best of all possible worlds -- the information you need on your wrists and a totally redundant dive computer/bottom timer/spg clipped to your left hip.

I continue to use my Cobra in all of my diving (in guage mode) but I'll admit I have a Vytec on my wrist synched with a transmitter. It is nice but I have it because I bought the Vytec alone and for a specific purpose which ceased to exist. Anyway, having the tank pressure on your wrist is merely nice -- having depth and time on your wrist is much more important. And having a redundant system (the Cobra on your hip) is just good trip insurance -- and since you have it anyway, the cost is trivial.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. A wireless wrist unit does not eliminate a hose in practice, as most add a SPG on a hose anyway. Putting a compass on one wrist a gauge on another just scatters the information all over the place.

Adam

Right now I'm using the Uwatec Galileo Sol. I love it. It's AI and can do deco. Tons of options and can upload to both PC and Mac. The compass on it is great. It is tilt resistant and can hold a bearing. The only down side is that their very expensive, $1900.

You could also go with the Galileo Luna which, for 99% of the time, is the exact same computer, AI, compass, etc., but without the free upgrades to TriMix, Heart Rate Monitor and PDIS. You'd have to pay for those. The Luna costs around $1500-1700 depending.

I love it. Highly recommended.

If you are willing to spend 1700 on a computer, there really is no option but the Shearwater Predator. There simply is nothing better. The ONLY argument could be that it's not air integrated.

It's bright as the sun, it's big enough to read. It can be tailored to you specifically, conservative, agressive, for fat people, lean people, dumb people. It will work for OC, SCC, CCR. There isn't another computer on the market that will do everything the Shearwater will do. It's built well, user friendly, and will be many many years before you outgrow it.

I don't know . . . in that price range, I like the Liquivision. It's smaller, brighter, and uses a tap interface so there are no holes in the casing to flood.

But I don't think Mike is looking for a $1700 computer.

Mike, I think Peter's advice is spot on. You'll love having your depth and time information on your wrist, and you can use anything you want for your pressure.

My experience with digital compasses is that they are virtually worthless. You'll prize my SK-7 out of my cold, dead hands.

You'll prize my SK-7 out of my cold, dead hands.

... hopefully not ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Unless you are worried about specific brands or features, go on LeisurePro or ScubaToys and check their clearance line for the cheapest AI wrist computer. Order 2 each, then find a decently-priced SPG to back it up with, and order 2 of those. And THEN you can sell your Cobras to someone else and make a healthy return on your expenditures. That's how much difference there is between computers, IMO. Some things do make a difference, like diver-replaceable batteries, tho, so keep an eye out.

As for compass: Suunto SK7, period. Just take off the strap and run a loop of 1/8" Bungee through the boot and tie it in a knot. Instant bungee wrist-mount, cost of about $0.25.

Peace,
Greg

I originally had the D9 and it was a disaster. It was constantly fouled by adjacent Suunto computers, and you definitely have to have good eyes to read the thing.

Right now, I would have to say that the Galileo Sol is the most physiologic dive computer out there as it incorporates your heart rate, breathing rate and air consumption and determines your profile accordingly. I purchased one and it is terrific. The clarity of the display is great and it is very managable in terms of personalization.Connection is a breeze, unlike the Suunto which must be coupled each time you put on a new tank and is a huge pain. My wife is a triathlete, so I got her the Luna which has the capacity to add the heart rate monitor later but is the same algorithm and we can monitor each other.

But as has been mentioned above, the new challenge since the introduction of computers has been redundancy. Having a back up should your computer fail. While we have been lucky, we have consoles with the Aladin Tech 2. This has the same algorithm as the Sol and Luna and is a very versatile computer in and of itself, and I highly recommend it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom