New Shearwater Dive Computer - 2024!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I simplified my computer set up and consolidated down to a single tern tx from a perdix 2 and back up teric. Just received the tern. It might just be the compact size but feels more solid/durable. Have 20/20 after cataract surgery so don’t notice the smaller screen. Looking forward to diving it soon.

Just a caveat about the accuracy of integrated electronic compasses... be sure to fully calibrate the compass and verify with various computer positions before 1st use!

When I picked up a new Peregrine TX, one of the 1st things I did was to perform compass calibrations (2 times to be certain). I did this using figure of 8 motions which involved some sweeping banking motions in generally a 180 degree heading range. The computer then indicated successful calibrations.

During my first few dives I noticed the headings would skew east/west quite badly if the computer face was tilted even slightly toward or away from 100% level, ie: tilted slightly toward my eyes was my preference to read the computer screen. From what I've read about these computers, they are supposed to be somewhat tilt compensating, so head scratch as to why my computer was not locking in the heading in conjunction with slight tilts.

Jump forward in the time space continuum... re-calibrate the computer once more, but this time by flipping the computer end over end front-to-back and side-to-side while waving it around in figure of 8 and turning myself a full 360 degrees. Result... compass is now locked on heading regardless of reasonable amounts of tilting the face toward or away from my eyes. Great! Now works as expected.

Bottom line, if your compass heading does not lock on when it's face is tilted, you haven't got a good calibration. Redo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom