Wrinkles' October 30th Dive in La Jolla And Beach BBQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now all you guys need is someone with a pickup truck to drag all the tanks back to a dive shop for air fills. Looks like Sport Chalet is the closest? Oops, I may have just opened a can of worms here. Too bad you can't rent a compressor and provide on-site air fills.

I'm not sure I can make it for this event. I'm going to be doing at least 25 dives in Tobago next week, so I may take it easy on diving the rest of the month.

dazedone:
I'm not sure I can make it for this event. I'm going to be doing at least 25 dives in Tobago next week, so I may take it easy on diving the rest of the month.

All I can say is poor baby! Wish I could say I was going to Tobago next week!!!

Thanks for the schedule Roy, I think that looks good. I'll be there early too as I want to park fairly close. Now for the sign-ups: I figure these are some of the items that we will need:

BBQ grilland all the accessories (charcol, tongs, etc..)
EZup
Utensils
plates
napkins
forks
knives
trash bags
Condiments:
ketchup
mayo
mustard
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
pickles
Side Dishes
Fruit (for snacking)
Veggies (for snacking)
Soft Drinks
Chips
Desserts

cookies: Ana
cookies: Jennifer
rum cake: Ann Marie
Meat: Ann Marie (included in the TBD cost of $3-5)
hamburger
hot dogs
buns
Water: Ann Marie (included in the TBD cost of $3-5)

Let me know what you want to bring and I will add you to the list and send out reminders before the date. Am I missing anything?????????

Ann Marie:
All I can say is poor baby! Wish I could say I was going to Tobago next week!!!

You can get some good deals during hurricane season. :wink: I was originally supposed to go to Grand Cayman a couple of weeks ago and it got destroyed right before I was supposed to leave.

I'm going to Tobago simply beacuse it was the only resonably priced liveaboard that I could find space on with 2 weeks notice. It seems quite a few liveaboards in the Caribbean are out of service for inspections/maintenance in October. It is a pretty good deal, 7 nights, 6 days of boat diving, 5 dives/day. All meals, transfers and Nitrox included, for less than $250/day. Only downside is that it is a long flight. (3 1/2 hours from Miami).

It actually came out cheaper than my original Cayman trip and they were only giving me one 2-tank boat trip per day. They warned me that the usual vis there it ONLY 60 ft due to the heavy currents and the proximity to the mouth of the Orinoco river. I laughed when she told me that, since I feel lucky to get 30ft here in SoCal.

We should come up with some sort of SoCal group trip to the Caribbean some day, it would be alot of fun. I always have fun diving with ScubaBoarders. With enough planning and a decent size group, it could be quite economical.

So how are air fills going to be handled? Are there multiple shops in the area?

Okay, one more time for the slow folks...

For those who are not going to do the first dive of the North Wall because they can't make it before 7am because it's too freakin' far from Upland and I'd have to wake up an hour before I went to sleep...

(Well, also because the North Wall sounds way too deep for me, but I'm not going to admit that....)

Anyway, if we show up around 8am or 9am, where is everyone going to set up and park? I've been to the Cove once, and I recall Roy saying the Shores and the Marine Room is just north of the Cove, but where is the Secret Garden and the Main Wall? And will the second and third dives be in places where some of us can go shallow (<40-50 ft.)?

dazedone:
Now all you guys need is someone with a pickup truck to drag all the tanks back to a dive shop for air fills. Looks like Sport Chalet is the closest? Oops, I may have just opened a can of worms here. Too bad you can't rent a compressor and provide on-site air fills.

Think of Oct. 30 as the next month. It's close enough. :D

That gives you a whole three weeks between your last dive in Tobago and your first dive in La Jolla.

It's a great way to kick off your diving in November. Think of La Jolla as a "kick off party" for November. :eyebrow:

Christian

jetfixer:
So how are air fills going to be handled? Are there multiple shops in the area?

OEX is within walking distance (not that I would walk it).
http://www.oeexpress.com/

mccabejc:
Okay, one more time for the slow folks...

For those who are not going to do the first dive of the North Wall because they can't make it before 7am because it's too freakin' far from Upland and I'd have to wake up an hour before I went to sleep...

(Well, also because the North Wall sounds way too deep for me, but I'm not going to admit that....)

Anyway, if we show up around 8am or 9am, where is everyone going to set up and park? I've been to the Cove once, and I recall Roy saying the Shores and the Marine Room is just north of the Cove, but where is the Secret Garden and the Main Wall? And will the second and third dives be in places where some of us can go shallow (<40-50 ft.)?

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalS/La_Jolla_Shores/index.htm

We will be somewhere on that patch of lawn you see in the pic. Probably in the S/E corner, if I can get there early enough. You can drop-off your equipment and then find parking in one of the many side streets. We will have a sign saying "ScubaBoard Members" or something. The Marine Room, short walk from the Shores, is the best for shallow dives. The Shores is for the most part sandy. The diver is required to explore holes in the walls for sea life. Can be very exciting or very boring, depending on what tipe of dive you are.

There is also a wreck at 130ft Cabezone Cruizer for those who like to go deep.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom