Wrenches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I spent my ten bucks at the junk shop

ScubaBoard Gallery - Open Uperers n hOne

and then they peeled another five from
my cold curled fingers, for an ultrasonic

When I got bored, with pfutzing around
with military jet engines at 5 or 7 years

Because the spares, and tools for the air
planes the Yanks sold us cost more than
the planes themselves that we ended up
fabricating ourselves.

I don't use a wrench at all and I'm yet to have that happen underwater.

And what may I ask does that prove? You need to have one blow out first before saying "whoops, shouldn't have done that!"?

And what did I say?
"I can't say it was caused by a tool but it makes me think that maybe we should compare maintaining equipment to the same standards as aircraft.

Are we on an automotive forum? Seems like the tool talk is confused as usual. There are plenty of tool companies out there, that produce decent tools. The best come from only a few select companies and you are going to pay dearly for them. Do you really need the best? I use the best for all of my hand tools. My save a boat dive kit is stuffed with 2 Snap-on adjustable wrenches, ratcheting screwdriver, small flat blade screwdriver, schrader valve tool, etc. Most peoples budget is probably determining their tool decisions. My theory is buy it once, buy it right, and never buy it again.

For casual use, you might be able to use cost effective tools. For a professional or someone who does serious vehicle/equipment repairs, the best is the only way to go. Example: I tried to save money by buying an S-K tubing wrench set. First use it started to strip the job I was working on. Grabbed the next wrench in line which was a Snap-on open end and low and behold it took it right off. Shows a regular open end Snap-on wrench has less flex than the shiny S-K wrench. I gave the S-K set away and replaced it with a Snap-on set.

I have blown apart every major brand socket on the market just about (Never bought Matco tools due to lack of availability ,and low quality offshore manufacturing). Craftsman doesn't do very well, and I can break their sockets very easily. Since they are made in the same plant as Matco you can actually use the same guts from a Matco ratchet to a Craftsman ratchet. All my ratchets are Snap-on and were upgraded to the latest greatest as even they are better than my original 20+ year old ratchets (More teeth = more strength and a lower turn angle needed to engage the next tooth).

Yup I am a tool junky and have an affinity for the best! Buy whatever you want, but you will never convince me they work the same. That is like telling me a Hyundai drives the same as a Porsche.

Well I can't say I have ever had any issues with my Craftsman tools but also know this argument has been around for a long time. I have no comparison since I don't spend the extra bucks on Snap-On.

I use to be an aircraft mechanic in the USAF and I really don't even remember the tools we used. A friend of mine is an aircraft mechanic for a major airline and works on the side too, I will ask him what he uses. I know when he was a Perterbuilt mechanic - (assembly plant), he used Craftsman.

and my scuba-tool sits on a shelf above my bench, just gathering dust

and sometimes, it appears to morph into a fifty dollar bill and fly away

The door is open.......right?

Wow I'm shocked :shocked2: The Craftsman 5pc Flare Nut Wrench Set is made in China. That sucks SEARS! I new the electric drills had gone that way, but the hand tools the last time I looked were made in the USA. Well from my search for information, it appears most are still made the USA. I wonder how long before most are made in China?

When I get a chance I'm going to Sears and look some more and see where the sets are from.

I still can't afford $185 for the Snap-On, though I wish I could since they are made in the USA. Oh well, most my scuba gear is probably made there too.

And another bummer, these don't work on my ScubaPro reg's hoses. They work on the DUI DS hose, but not 2nd stage or Air II. Even on the DUI it has to be squeezed onto the hose. The SP hose is fatter, and then there is a slight ridge on the collar of the hose that will not let the wrench pass onto the nut. Has anyone tried the Snap-On Flare Wrench on a SP hose? Oh well, these are going back to Sears tomorrow.

As to the op's original question, give the pliers I referred to in a previous post some thought. They have delrin inserts to protect the work and might work for tightening a hose. Personally I would rather have some scratches than an air leak.

TowerHobbies.com | 74061 Tamiya Non-Scratch Pliers
tamr0561.jpg

Wow I'm shocked :shocked2: The Craftsman 5pc Flare Nut Wrench Set is made in China. That sucks SEARS! I new the electric drills had gone that way, but the hand tools the last time I looked were made in the USA. Well from my search for information, it appears most are still made the USA. I wonder how long before most are made in China?
Suit Hits Sears "Made In USA" Claim

The suit alleges that promotions in ads, the website, on signs and labels claiming that Craftsman is "Made in the USA" led consumers to purchase the tools out of a sense of patriotism. Consumers were also led to believe that Craftsman is of high quality because it is "Made in the USA."

Pictures attached to the complaint show metal parts from Austria, Denmark, China, India and Mexico on Craftsman tools labeled as "Made in the USA."

The $35 set looks nice but is JUNK. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase this set for doing side work and to throw in my home tool box. These wrenches spread like they are made out of plastic. My SnapOn open ended wrenches work better than these cheap flare nut wrenches. Some Craftsman tools are ok but sometimes you just have to purchase a QUALITY tool.

Example: I tried to save money by buying an S-K tubing wrench set. First use it started to strip the job I was working on. Grabbed the next wrench in line which was a Snap-on open end and low and behold it took it right off. Shows a regular open end Snap-on wrench has less flex than the shiny S-K wrench. I gave the S-K set away and replaced it with a Snap-on set.

The $35 set looks nice but is JUNK. I thought it would be a good idea to purchase this set for doing side work and to throw in my home tool box. These wrenches spread like they are made out of plastic. My SnapOn open ended wrenches work better than these cheap flare nut wrenches. Some Craftsman tools are ok but sometimes you just have to purchase a QUALITY tool.

Haha, there are now two stories showing how big a difference there are between high quality and low quality tools. When an open end wrench is better than a flare wrench it is sad.

Who wants to go shopping at Harbor Freight? Actually I love HF and shop there a fair amount but chose carefully what I am going to buy and consider it disposable. There is a fairly large HF less than 2 miles from our house. Of course there are plenty of Snap-on tool dealers around too. All it takes is a phone call, and met up with them at their house, or more typically, in the field at one of their stops.

Compromise: Buying just the 2 or 3 wrenches I'll actually use from the $186 Snap-On. Quality over quantity. Thanks all for the inputs!

- Dack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom