Wrenches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even ones from Home Depot would be better than using adjustable end wrench.
High cost of Snap-On? True enough. Snap-On (Mac and Matco) market is not the occasional or home shop user. They target people who use them hard, everyday and their living is dependent on them. I've been using Snap-On tools since my early days as a mechanic and I still have every Snap-On tool I've ever purchased. Even those 40 year old tools that have become damaged recently are cheerfully replaced with a brand new one, no question. Old habits die hard , however, I have been known to augment my tool collection with a few Husky bits and pieces :wink:

That's funny...I get that I can buy the $35 Crafstman, but why do I still want the $185 Snap-On set? :)

..snip..

Anyone have brass wrenches or some other alternative?

..snip..

- Dack

Brass becomes brittle with age, be very wary of using any brass tools to exert force. You would have to keep re-annealing them.

No doubt Snap-On tools are the best a tool can be, but so are Craftsman. They too have a lifetime guarantee. However, I just read a review of these wrenches and one said they are now made in China. Two other reviews said they are made in the USA. I plan to check this out for myself and will report back on my findings. If it is true, I will not be buying any more Craftsman tools - unless it turns out Snap-On is made in China too - which I doubt.

Not that I would recommend them, but there are channel-lock pliers made with delrin inserts to protect the surface. Though I cringe at the idea of using them on SCUBA. I use them in my RC hobby for holding shock bodies - which are easily damaged in a vice or regular pliers.

Open-end or adjustable end wrenches just should not be used on scuba hoses except in an emergency. I use flare-nut wrenches.
As far as not worrying...that's like saying don't worry about a little sand in the regulator, or properly cleaning equipment after use. I think about scuba equipment in the same way that airplane mechanics think about their planes. Worrying about the small things DOES matter, if you're paying attention to the small details then big problems are less likely to occur. During a flight small things can turn into big things, and big things can go bad in a hurry.

You don't have to dive the same way. But then again, I won't be borrowing your regulator. :p
The "pocket scuba tools" you refer to are cheap tools for use only when no other tools are available, like at the dive site or on a boat.
I disagree with the above statements.

Snap-on and Craftsman-branded tools are nice. They work great, last a long time, and have a lifetime guarantee. Flare-nut wrenches would prevent accidental slippage when attaching hoses. Are any of these necessary for attaching a hose to a first stage? Nope.

I'd agree that using good quality tools makes more sense if you are overhauling your regs. Certain brass parts can get stuck together and this is when having the appropriate tool for the job is important.

Although I like to use good-quality tools, anyone who knows what he/she is doing will be able to use a pocket scuba tool or a crappy adjustable wrench to properly secure a new LP or HP hose to the first stage...without dinging up the brass fittings. Even if a tiny blemish occurred in the process, who cares? It's not a critical issue that would affect the performance of the reg at all. As another person in this thread has stated, spend time worrying about something that matters.

FWIW, I think it's rather amusing to compare connecting a scuba hose with a first stage to aircraft maintenance.

I disagree with the above statements.

Snap-on and Craftsman-branded tools are nice. They work great, last a long time, and have a lifetime guarantee. Flare-nut wrenches would prevent accidental slippage when attaching hoses. Are any of these necessary for attaching a hose to a first stage? Nope.

I'd agree that using good quality tools makes more sense if you are overhauling your regs. Certain brass parts can get stuck together and this is when having the appropriate tool for the job is important.

Although I like to use good-quality tools, anyone who knows what he/she is doing will be able to use a pocket scuba tool or a crappy adjustable wrench to properly secure a new LP or HP hose to the first stage...without dinging up the brass fittings. Even if a tiny blemish occurred in the process, who cares? It's not a critical issue that would affect the performance of the reg at all. As another person in this thread has stated, spend time worrying about something that matters.

FWIW, I think it's rather amusing to compare connecting a scuba hose with a first stage to aircraft maintenance.

I have two of those scuba-tools, on one the wrench slips on nuts and one of the allens slips also. They are not built to a close tolerance and that can cause problems. I can attach a hose with pliers, but should I?

I once had a HP hose blow out, I can't say it was caused by a tool but it makes me think that maybe we should compare maintaining equipment to the same standards as aircraft. While no one else (except your buddy/team/rescuers) from a failure will be injured, I would rather see a proper tool used for a job. Now where is my hammer, I need to go work on my Mustang. (No offense, I love Mustangs).

As for the original post, just use a wrench - your stuff is going to be scratched, dulled, dinged, scrapped, scratched and ....

That's funny...I get that I can buy the $35 Crafstman, but why do I still want the $185 Snap-On set? :)

Then again, you can get a set from Harbor Freight for $10.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom