Wrenches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two of those scuba-tools, on one the wrench slips on nuts and one of the allens slips also. They are not built to a close tolerance and that can cause problems. I can attach a hose with pliers, but should I?
Never said that one should attach a hose with pliers. A Husky- or Pittsburgh Tools-branded adjustable wrench will work just fine. After all, we're just talking about snugging up the union a little.
I once had a HP hose blow out, I can't say it was caused by a tool but it makes me think that maybe we should compare maintaining equipment to the same standards as aircraft. While no one else (except your buddy/team/rescuers) from a failure will be injured, I would rather see a proper tool used for a job. Now where is my hammer, I need to go work on my Mustang. (No offense, I love Mustangs).
Eh. I have no experience working on aircraft beyond helping out a friend who's building his own kit plane.
Maybe there's someone on SB who both works on aircraft and overhauls his own scuba regs. Perhaps that person can weigh in on this matter. :)

I overhaul my own regs. They are pretty simple devices. In just a few minutes I taught my girlfriend (who isn't mechanically inclined at all) to attach/detach hoses on her reg. We were using...gasp...a scuba tool with cheapy adjustable wrench on it. She changed out her hoses perfectly and left no blemishes on the brass fittings.
As for the original post, just use a wrench - your stuff is going to be scratched, dulled, dinged, scrapped, scratched and ....
I agree 100%.
I care. It's like you're trying to convince me that I don't. Good luck with that! :wink:
The problem I see is that you seem to be focusing on cosmetics...and not function.

The problem I see is that you seem to be focusing on cosmetics...and not function.

That's an incorrect assumption. It is the anal retentive pursuit of perfect function that has led me to ask about the tiniest cosmetic details. I've spent countless hours researching, assembling, testing, disassembling, tuning, re-assembling, tweaking, and then doing it all over again. In that process you notice everything and my brain won't stop thinking about it until its perfect. Good enough...isn't.

But yeah I can understand you've seen folks who focus only on the cosmetics, hence the rush to judgement. :D

- Dack

That's an incorrect assumption. It is the anal retentive pursuit of perfect function that has led me to ask about the tiniest cosmetic details. I've spent countless hours researching, assembling, testing, disassembling, tuning, re-assembling, tweaking, and then doing it all over again. In that process you notice everything and my brain won't stop thinking about it until its perfect. Good enough...isn't.

But yeah I can understand you've seen folks who focus only on the cosmetics, hence the rush to judgement. :D

- Dack
Dack, based on that last post, I realize that I can't help you. You've really spent "countless hours" doing all of that stuff, eh? It sounds like you have a lot more experience working on scuba gear than I do.

Best of luck with your diving and DIY reg servicing adventures.

Well - my question was how to eliminate tooling marks, and you have been trying to convince me it doesn't matter... :wink:

I'm OK if we have different opinions. I never claimed to be an expert or have more experience, just that I know what I personally like.

Thanks anyway, it's a fun conversation that folks are clearly passionate about.

- Dack

That's funny...I get that I can buy the $35 Crafstman, but why do I still want the $185 Snap-On set? :)
For Scuba work, nope. If you would use them everyday, as a professional, I would (and did).

I'd also look into some therapy for that OCD. But then again if I can't find the wrench I want I just cut one out. 304 or 316 stainless .060 up to .250. Having a waterjet at work and some space on the end of a sheet is a good thing. I've made custom brass picks, "spoons", and some dandy door kick plates. I'm looking at a thin wrench similar to what Scuba Tools carries as my next gubmint job. We just got in some nice .125 titanium for a job that won't all be used. I'll post some pics later this week of the 13 inch long 1/8inch thick brass spikes and the same size 1/2inch thick delrin ones I made for probing soft bottoms in lakes and quarries.

Duly noted, and my wife will back you up on that. But Scuba diving is supposed to be therapeutic, right?

I want to work where you work...

- Dack

No doubt Snap-On tools are the best a tool can be, but so are Craftsman. They too have a lifetime guarantee. However, I just read a review of these wrenches and one said they are now made in China. Two other reviews said they are made in the USA. I plan to check this out for myself and will report back on my findings. If it is true, I will not be buying any more Craftsman tools - unless it turns out Snap-On is made in China too - which I doubt.
Just because Craftsman has the same warranty does not equate to same quality. When I, like lots of other mechanics started out we bought Craftsman but it was soon evident that these tools just don't hold up to the rigors of professional use. I would end up with a shoebox full of busted and bent Craftsman tools once a month and frankly, the trip was a pain.
However, for working at home or as a hobby, Craftsman tools should hold up just fine.

Are we on an automotive forum? Seems like the tool talk is confused as usual. There are plenty of tool companies out there, that produce decent tools. The best come from only a few select companies and you are going to pay dearly for them. Do you really need the best? I use the best for all of my hand tools. My save a boat dive kit is stuffed with 2 Snap-on adjustable wrenches, ratcheting screwdriver, small flat blade screwdriver, schrader valve tool, etc. Most peoples budget is probably determining their tool decisions. My theory is buy it once, buy it right, and never buy it again.

For casual use, you might be able to use cost effective tools. For a professional or someone who does serious vehicle/equipment repairs, the best is the only way to go. Example: I tried to save money by buying an S-K tubing wrench set. First use it started to strip the job I was working on. Grabbed the next wrench in line which was a Snap-on open end and low and behold it took it right off. Shows a regular open end Snap-on wrench has less flex than the shiny S-K wrench. I gave the S-K set away and replaced it with a Snap-on set.

I have blown apart every major brand socket on the market just about (Never bought Matco tools due to lack of availability ,and low quality offshore manufacturing). Craftsman doesn't do very well, and I can break their sockets very easily. Since they are made in the same plant as Matco you can actually use the same guts from a Matco ratchet to a Craftsman ratchet. All my ratchets are Snap-on and were upgraded to the latest greatest as even they are better than my original 20+ year old ratchets (More teeth = more strength and a lower turn angle needed to engage the next tooth).

Yup I am a tool junky and have an affinity for the best! Buy whatever you want, but you will never convince me they work the same. That is like telling me a Hyundai drives the same as a Porsche.

I once had a HP hose blow out, I can't say it was caused by a tool but it makes me think that maybe we should compare maintaining equipment to the same standards as aircraft..

I don't use a wrench at all and I'm yet to have that happen underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom