Wreck Reel: Side or Top Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

S. starfish:
Also, #24 line isn't going to kill you.

I don't know I did catch my spool trying to sneak up behind me the other day.

Tom

The Halcyon reels have hardcoated (anodized?) aluminum handles; I doubt they'd corrode too much (not an advertisement for H...just pointing it out).

I own both types and am just as happy with both types.

I have:
400' primary Halcyon
160' Jump reel - Old style dive rite with the 'lantern' grip
120' Enclosed gap reel
(3) Spools, 150' and 100' variety
(3) 250' Custom made 'side winder' style reels

For me, I prefer the reels to spools, even for shooting lift bags. The style is less important consideration than the smoothness of operation to me. As for use, its been about a month since I've been diving and used them (cave diving N. FL). Used Spools, sidewinder reels and latern style, all on the same dive. (lots of jumps)

I'm in Gastonia, NC. Just outside of Charlotte. I am working on a new site but glad you found the old one..let me know if I can help you out.

Brent

I have used various manufacture of both kinds. I "love" my Salvo reel, and prefer the thumbwheel on it to the Halcyon. BUT, I have large hands. If I had on a heavy sent of Neoprene gloves, I don't know that I could get my hand through my Salvo reel.

If you're going to go with a top handle, I recommend you try the Ralph Hood reels. I like that more than anything else I've tried in a top handle. They also make a side handle, and I'll probably pick up one as a backup.

Good luck in your search.

SparticleBrane:
The Halcyon reels have hardcoated (anodized?) aluminum handles; I doubt they'd corrode too much (not an advertisement for H...just pointing it out).

The SS lock bolt tends to corrode in the AL handle. Ditto of the SS bolt which holds the delrin spool onto the handle. On the other hand, its basically impossible to strip the theads.

ANYTHING is better than the Manta Jr. reel I started with. Limited locking and having to hold the latch up to let it out were incredibly annoying. Also no way to adjust the tension with your thumb and was very easy to tangle/jam. a POS.

b1gcountry:
Hey all,
I was planning on making my next purchase a dive reel for wreck diving. I was wondering what some people preferred, the extruded aluminum handles where the handle wraps around the top of the reel, like the reef scuba one:
http://www.reefscuba.com/survivorreel.htm

Or a reel like the one Halcyon makes where the handle is on the side, and is made of milled aluminum. Here is a link to thje salvo reel, which is similar:
http://hidawayscuba.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=89&osCsid=0c316446f6aa72442a474815afadd37c

I've never used a real reel before, and I wasn't sure if I would like the handle on the top or on the side. I just dive the outside of wrecks now, and want something that will work well laying guidelines on the outside of the wreck so I can find the way back to the anchorline in case I lose my bearings. It looks like I can get the Reef Scuba reel pre-packed with #36 line, or even #48 line, and I like the way the spool comes off, but the Halcyon style reels look pretty well built, but they don't seem to want to sell to wreck divers since they all have #24 line on them.

Either way I would guess I would want about 250' of line since anything less, and I could basically be using a spool.

Any thoughts? What have you dove with? What do you like or dislike about them?

Thanks,
Tom

Hi b1gcountry,

Take a look at our CR-1. It is simular to the pathfinder / salvo reels how ever one nice feature divers find very appealing is you can fit you whole hand thru the handle.

http://www.mantaind.com/dive_reels/cr-1.htm

Good luck
Greg

Perrone-
I'm a tall guy, and my hands are really wide, with long fingers, but my hands aren't very thick, and my fingers are pretty typical (sz 10 wedding ring). Is it the thickness of your hands that make the reel tight, or the length? I will be doing all of my diving in Lake Michigan in fairly cold water, so I will have gloves on.

The Salvo is the reel I'm leaning towards right now, has anyone used it with 6mm gloves on? I will keep the Manta in mind if the Salvo doesn't work, but I haven't seen that model anywhere online, and none of the shops here in STL really carry reels.

Thanks again, everyone, especially since this topic has probably been hashed out countless times...

Tom

My suggestion would be to contact Barry at Salvo directly, or contact one of his dealers, indicate your concern, and see if they will let you do a try/buy. Essentially, you pay for the reel, have it shipped, and if it doesn't work for you with your gloves, then you can send it back for a full refund.

I have found Barry VERY accomodating to his customers.

In my own case, I hold my light and my reel in the same hand. This forces me to have to close my grip inside the reel handle. I can do it bare handed, as I just did it today. But with 6mm gloves on, I don't know.

Again, please don't discount the Ralph Hood reels I mentioned earlier. I know where you can get them at a fair price (cheaper than the Salvo), and the quality is VERY high.

http://www.tecdivers.com/reels.htm

Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom