Wreck Reel: Side or Top Handle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

b1gcountry

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey all,
I was planning on making my next purchase a dive reel for wreck diving. I was wondering what some people preferred, the extruded aluminum handles where the handle wraps around the top of the reel, like the reef scuba one:
http://www.reefscuba.com/survivorreel.htm

Or a reel like the one Halcyon makes where the handle is on the side, and is made of milled aluminum. Here is a link to thje salvo reel, which is similar:
http://hidawayscuba.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=89&osCsid=0c316446f6aa72442a474815afadd37c

I've never used a real reel before, and I wasn't sure if I would like the handle on the top or on the side. I just dive the outside of wrecks now, and want something that will work well laying guidelines on the outside of the wreck so I can find the way back to the anchorline in case I lose my bearings. It looks like I can get the Reef Scuba reel pre-packed with #36 line, or even #48 line, and I like the way the spool comes off, but the Halcyon style reels look pretty well built, but they don't seem to want to sell to wreck divers since they all have #24 line on them.

Either way I would guess I would want about 250' of line since anything less, and I could basically be using a spool.

Any thoughts? What have you dove with? What do you like or dislike about them?

Thanks,
Tom

Side Handle like the Halcyon or Salvo or even Dive Rite's new Sidewinder Series is best. Should the reel ever jam, at least you can still have some functionality by winding up the line like a spool (i.e. no need to detach anything).

What he said, plus grab yourself a 150ft safety spool.

I use a Dive Rites Sidewinder Series- 250'/#36,,,functions great.

I have only used a Manta and a Salvo, but I much prefer the Salvo, the side mounts are just as easy to use but seem less bulky and have other benefits mentioned above. I have my Salvo loaded with about 250' of #36. The operation of the Salvo is simpler, too... much better in low/no viz should the situation arise.

I guess the standard type handle may be easier if you are gripping a light in your hand, as you can sandwich a small light between the handle and your hand while reeling in. However I use a small primary mounted on a goodman type handle so the side reel works better.

Hmm...does ANYONE like the top handle???

I never thought about being able to wind the reel like a spool. Have you really done this during a dive? How does it work?

If I go with a side handle, I was favoring the salvo, or Halcyon. Does anyone know a place that sells these reels with wreck line? All I find are reels with #24 line. None with #36 (I have seen the Dive Rite with #36). Can you get #36 at Home Depot, or somewhere else for cheap?

Tom

Jason B:
What he said, plus grab yourself a 150ft safety spool.

Yup, The plan is to grab a Spool, Reel, and DSMB...I haven't decided if I really need a lift bag right now, but I might get one for actually lifting stuff...

Tom

The salvo is the nicest reel I have seen, and I have used most of them. If you want a salvo let me know, I can help you out and have them with wreck (36) line on them. I also have good deals on spools and SMB/lift bags.

Brent

I know a few people who bought lantern grip style reels, loved them and would talk about and promote them all the time. Then they tried some of the side handeled (is there a better name for these?) reels, they don't talk abou thier old lanter grip style ones anymore...

I use one of the salvo ones, couldn't be happier. Also, #24 line isn't going to kill you.

not to derail my own post, but I did find this thread when searching for salvo reels:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=151600&highlight=salvo+reel

I think I will be getting the salvo. The Halcyon looks real nice, but aluminum does corrode just a little. Its kinda funny that I seem to have linked to your site, Brent, what part of NC are you in? I'll be in Wilmington in August.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom