DIR- GUE Reel for Cave 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This trip is definitely costing me a lot, which is why I don't want to spend more than I need on a reel. I want to spend my money where it counts, which is why I don't mind spending money on training. If the Pathfinder is the best reel for the application and is highly recommended, I'll probably still get it, but if I find out a DTD reel for half the price does the trick, I don't want to splurge just to get the H.

Just borrow one from ZG.
Hmm, I think dissimilar metal corrosion is also an issue in fresh water. In any case, I do a lot of local diving in the ocean, and I would want to be able to use the reel here as well. Maybe it's a non-issue though. Maybe the coating Halcyon use on the handle prevents it?

I’ve not had any corrosion issues on my H real. I had some rust on the thumb screw in the LM one.

Chris. He's been highly recommended and his resume is impressive, to say the least. I'm very excited and a little nervous, but mostly excited.
Are your fundamental skills solid? If so nothing to worry about

This trip is definitely costing me a lot, which is why I don't want to spend more than I need on a reel. I want to spend my money where it counts, which is why I don't mind spending money on training. If the Pathfinder is the best reel for the application and is highly recommended, I'll probably still get it, but if I find out a DTD reel for half the price does the trick, I don't want to splurge just to get the H.
I am unfamiliar with the DTD, so I have no opinion. Just keep in mind that your primary reel will be your best friend during Cave 1, especially in Mexico where you will be laying LONG runs to the mainlines. (Great experience!) That said, it sounds like all of them you are considering are top quality.
Hmm, I think dissimilar metal corrosion is also an issue in fresh water. In any case, I do a lot of local diving in the ocean, and I would want to be able to use the reel here as well. Maybe it's a non-issue though. Maybe the coating Halcyon use on the handle prevents it?
I think the Pathfinder handle may be anodized aluminum. Its spool is Delrin. I have never heard of this corrosion issue. I think it is a non-issue.
Chris. He's been highly recommended and his resume is impressive, to say the least. I'm very excited and a little nervous, but mostly excited.
I took Cave 2 there with Chris a couple of years ago, though the last day of the course his back was acting up, and Fred subbed for him. I got a provisional. Honestly, I felt Chris was (quite understandably) a little cranky from his back pain, because when I returned six months later, and Chris' back had healed, he was like a different person. I guess it helps to not be in pain! LOL. Chris is a great teacher--absolutely great--and despite his decades of experience he is completely down to earth. Fred, too!

The SS lock screw does cause a miniscule amount of dissimilar metal corrosion in the aluminum frame. But even with that, the H reel will outlast your diving career. The LM reel will also outlast your cave diving career.

Buy whichever one you want, either are fine.

I have the DIR zone one, you can borrow for your class (Or test on a dive here)if you want to. (Usually you just need 1 reel pr team, so hear with your instructor if it is possible to go "team resource" on this one, if your classmate already has one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom