Wreck locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where your at it looks like G.L.s or east coast are your best options. I do O.K. with a HP 100 steel and a 40 pony at around 100ft ....120. Get a drysuit, Either area is gona be Cold!!!!!!!!!!!!:coffee:

Ghost - I know this is an old thread, but have you checked into the local area? I guess it would all depend on what you are looking for in regards to penetration. The Cedarville (Straits of Mackinac) is a nice wreck. However, it is big, it is silty and you can get easily lost if things aren't done properly. There's a smaller wreck in Munising that's a nice/easy dive with penetration.

Have you done much diving in the Great Lakes?

will second gunter.bernert regarding busuanga. Coron has lots of wrecks within limits, plus you are int he philippines so lots of great dive sites. If you are a wreck fiend you can also in the same trip go to Subic Bay which has some wrecks. Liberty wreck in bali and yongala in australia i have heard are excellent, and have heard mixed reviews regarding the thistlegorm in egypt.

If you are looking at the great lakes, you can head to the Sanilac Shores Preserve. It's up near the tip of the thumb. Many wrecks in a small area, most in the 40-100ft range. There's one called the Regina, in about 45ft, that can be penetrated.

Is penetration of Great Lakes wrecks safe/common without tech training? Not judging; genuinely curious.

Depends what you call 'tech' training. If you are referring to decompression diving, trimix, deeper than 130 feet, etc. then penetrating wrecks of the Great Lakes CAN be save. If to you 'tech' training means anything not recreational diving then it is probably required to be safe.

You need some sort of training to penetrate a wreck. There are so many things you would not expect to happen when penetrating a wreck. If you aren't prepared for it, it WILL kill you.

Haven't had any dives in the GL since the waters are cold and none of my dive buddys want to travel that far. :( I would like too eventually since I hear once you get over the cold aspect their is lots of stuff to be seen in the GL.

As of lately I haven't done much searching into wreck diving spots since I have been busy with family and other crap life has decided to throw at me. I still keep an eye out for people that post in this thred.

Haven't had any dives in the GL since the waters are cold and none of my dive buddys want to travel that far. :( I would like too eventually since I hear once you get over the cold aspect their is lots of stuff to be seen in the GL.

As of lately I haven't done much searching into wreck diving spots since I have been busy with family and other crap life has decided to throw at me. I still keep an eye out for people that post in this thred.

You might want to plan a trip to the Brockville or Rockport area. It is at the east end of Lake Ontario. It is actually the St. Lawrence River. If you go in August the water temperatures are actually in the seventies. I was there this past August and the temperature was 79F. Even down as deep as 118' the temperatures were still really nice. If you look you can find holes out of the current where water just sits. The temperature in there can be around 50F.

The first Monday in August is a Civic holiday in Canada. So July 30, 31, August 1, 2011 will be the August long weekend. A lot of the charters will be booked up if you wait last minute. Maybe book around late June. In general, the month of August is fully booked.

ok thanks, I'll have to look into that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom