WPB over labor day weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jedah

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

We've been considering a short dive trip to WPB over labor day weekend (2 days of diving, 1 day of beaching). Does it get really crowded on the reefs during holiday weekends?? We would dive on sat. and sun.

Also, we've been looking at Pura Vida Divers, any positive/negative experiences with them?

They seem to run a pretty small operation, a 12-diver boat, which could be good if the dive boats are packed that weekend.

Any insight from locals would be appreciated!

Thanks,

J.

jedah:
Hey guys,

We've been considering a short dive trip to WPB over labor day weekend (2 days of diving, 1 day of beaching). Does it get really crowded on the reefs during holiday weekends?? We would dive on sat. and sun.

Also, we've been looking at Pura Vida Divers, any positive/negative experiences with them?

They seem to run a pretty small operation, a 12-diver boat, which could be good if the dive boats are packed that weekend.

Any insight from locals would be appreciated!

Thanks,

J.

I dive with Pura Vida as often as I can. (which isn't as often as I would like) I believe they have one of the best crews around. They will take good care of you. They load your gear on and off the boat. They supply you with a towel, sunscreen, shampoo, etc.

They'll do a lot of little things for you to make your trip more enjoyable. One day... it was bumpy... so instead of doing our surface interval bouncing around... they took us into the inlet and let us snorkle for a while. They earned a lot fo brownie points for that...

My next dive with them is 14 May.

Al

In West Palm I usually dive with Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures but have been diving with Pura Vida multiple times as well and would highly recommend them to you. They do an outstanding job. On holiday weekends the boats will surely be full but I wouldn't consider the diving in West Palm "crowded" given the multiple dive sites, drift diving, etc. Be sure to dive Blue Heron Blvd bridge (at high tide) while you're there!

Thanks guys!

One more question, should we stay in town, or on Singer Island?

Found this seaside Best Western resort on Singer Island for a pretty good price, and from the pics it looks like it's right on the beach. It's also very close to the dive shop. However, we are not sure what we would be missing out on by staying there vs. WPB proper.

J.

Scuba_Dad:
I dive with Pura Vida as often as I can. (which isn't as often as I would like) I believe they have one of the best crews around. They will take good care of you. They load your gear on and off the boat. They supply you with a towel, sunscreen, shampoo, etc.

They'll do a lot of little things for you to make your trip more enjoyable. One day... it was bumpy... so instead of doing our surface interval bouncing around... they took us into the inlet and let us snorkle for a while. They earned a lot fo brownie points for that...

My next dive with them is 14 May.

Al

Other than the boat I DM on (The Marti Gras Flaot), I would have to totally agree here with Al. Dean and Trevor really go above and beyond what's required of them in order to make sure everyone has a fun and safe trip. My boat is right next to them and I can tell you this much, I've never seen anything but smiles when their boat slips back in. We even put our customers on their boat when we can't accommodate them (and vise versa). If I personally had to pick a boat other than my own, it would be with those guys..

Make sure you stop in and say hi to me before y'all leave the dock!! and please feel free to pm me with any questions you might have..

Cheers

jedah:
Thanks guys!

One more question, should we stay in town, or on Singer Island?

Found this seaside Best Western resort on Singer Island for a pretty good price, and from the pics it looks like it's right on the beach. It's also very close to the dive shop. However, we are not sure what we would be missing out on by staying there vs. WPB proper.

J.

jedah,

I live in downtown WPB. What hotels are you looking at?

If diving is your focus, I'd stay on Singer Island. It is very nice, and, is certainly convenient to the dive boats.

You are only a ten - fifteen minute drive to downtown WPB from there.

Downtown has lots of restaurants - but there are some nice ones on Singer Island as well. Shopping is available at the Palm Beach Gardens mall, as well as in downtown, both easily accessible from Singer Island.

P.S. I'm heading to Maui, then the Big Island, then Oahu on May 24th through June 9th. Will we cross paths?

Thanks again to everyone who's responded!

I think we'll probably go for Singer Island, we'll be flying in sat AM, so being close to the beach will definitely help us get into vacation mode faster!

James,

We are looking at the Seaspray Inn on Singer Island, it's run by Best Western and the rate is pretty good ($85) per night. Still waiting to hear from Pura Vida about the their packages w/accommodation, but we'll be pretty happy staying at the Seaspray Inn.

In Hawaii, we'll be diving with Deep Ecology in the North Shore of Oahu on 6/4, Dive Makai in Kona on 6/7 - 6/9, and Ed Robinson's on Maui on 6/14 - 6/15. They are all small operators, and from talking to them they sound pretty relaxed and friendly.

Where will you be diving?

J.

jedah:
I think we'll probably go for Singer Island, we'll be flying in sat AM, so being close to the beach will definitely help us get into vacation mode faster!

James,

We are looking at the Seaspray Inn on Singer Island, it's run by Best Western and the rate is pretty good ($85) per night. Still waiting to hear from Pura Vida about the their packages w/accommodation, but we'll be pretty happy staying at the Seaspray Inn.

Sounds like a good choice, and the price is pretty good.

jedah:
In Hawaii, we'll be diving with Deep Ecology in the North Shore of Oahu on 6/4, Dive Makai in Kona on 6/7 - 6/9, and Ed Robinson's on Maui on 6/14 - 6/15. They are all small operators, and from talking to them they sound pretty relaxed and friendly.

Where will you be diving?

J.

I'll be there on my honeymoon, and my wife to be is not a diver. So, this will not be a diving trip.

We will be on Oahu at the same time as you, though it will be at the end of our trip.

We arrive on Oahu on 6/5 and leave 6/8.

We plan to head up to Shark's cove on the North Shore to snorkel on Monday the 6th. It's a very nice dive site!

Congrats James!

Also check out Hanauma Bay just past Koko Head crater on the south shore. It's supposed to have great snorkeling.

Enjoy your honeymoon!!

J.

PS: BTW, thanks for your help on the WPB trip, looks like it's going to happen!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom