WP Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loosebits:
We saw you guys out there but by the time we got camp set up everyone was settling down so we didn't pop in and say hi. How was your adv class, Luke? You have any more dives or are you certified?

I am AOW/Nitrox certified. I am hoping to get to Rescue in the fall but I got to get some funds figured out. I did get to the Pecan Grove at least the top of it on the deep dive 90' feet. I do not think I would want to go down much deep with out alot of training and a canister light as the tree seemed spooky at the time. There is no way a rec primary light is enought to be down there!!! I was awake at midnight just on trying to get some streching in before I layed down.

Lukiedukie:
I am AOW/Nitrox certified. I am hoping to get to Rescue in the fall but I got to get some funds figured out. I did get to the Pecan Grove at least the top of it on the deep dive 90' feet. I do not think I would want to go down much deep with out alot of training and a canister light as the tree seemed spooky at the time. There is no way a rec primary light is enought to be down there!!! I was awake at midnight just on trying to get some streching in before I layed down.

Entering the trees should be avoided unless you have some overhead training and prop equip, the trees in the grove form a canopy so if you enter them you can not make a direct ascent to the surface, I've heard of at least one death due to this.

Lukiedukie:
I am AOW/Nitrox certified.
Congratulations Luke!

Willie

FIXXERVI6:
Entering the trees should be avoided unless you have some overhead training and prop equip, the trees in the grove form a canopy so if you enter them you can not make a direct ascent to the surface, I've heard of at least one death due to this.
Just curious, where exactly are the trees located in WP?

FIXXERVI6:

I agree completely and I was more then happy to be away from there. I do nto think we got into the thick of it but where at the edge of the grove. If we went much deeper I think we would have be in some issues. All I really saw was some stumps but when I looked deeper I saw a few standing trees but they where at the edge of the vis.

subzero:

We took a chain of one fo the platfroms straight down. to be honest with you I do nto remember what platform but the lake levels are low so the are not as deep as they use to be. On friday the Lake was 19' low but after this weekends rains who knows.

Lukiedukie:
... All I really saw was some stumps but when I looked deeper I saw a few standing trees but they where at the edge of the vis.
Next time they drain the lake for cleaning we will have to get some good photos. :rofl:

It would be interesting if we could get our hands on some pre-dam photos.

Willie

subzero:
With the lake as low as it is, there is a tree line at about 100'. Off the 1st set of stairs, they appear to be Mesquite which you couldn't pay me enough to get into. Off the 2nd set of stairs, a little shallower, they are nice big trunks. Very cool especially in good viz. You can shine your light up the trunk and it's kind of neat. I've heard the pecan grove is off the point at the end of the park but I've never felt like hauling my doubles that far.

Getting into the trees definitely requires a reel and I wouldn't do it without a completely redundant air source just because of the depth (anyone think they can make a CESA from 100'?). From my diving in Travis last year, I'm guessing the viz should start opening up down there in a few months.

Something to be really careful of, especially when the lake is as low as it is, is getting out onto the river bottom or anywhere where it levels out (east of the lift going down to the dam, it probably levels around around 90'). You get out there and before you know it, it's time to start heading up but you aren't 100% sure which way "up" is. If doing a mid-water ascent in 5' of viz under yahoos in jet skis doen't give you the hibbie-jibbies, you're braver than I am.

Regular elevation is listed as 681ft elevation.
Today’s elevation is listed as 665ft elevation
Difference is 16ft. (easy on the smart butt remarks- yeah I can add :wink: .)
According to the map at wind point that drops the grove to 83.9ft.
http://www.windypointpark.com/uwmap.asp

Looking for something a little bit deeper without trees- I tend to do the wall dives off the North and south end of the park. However, it is an advanced dive in deep water and you have to watch your turn times/ pressure and surfacing in some places is not the best.
Nothing like finding a hanging scuba tank on a chain at 110ft when the lake is up.

Dive safe, Andrew

Crazyduck:
Regular elevation is listed as 681ft elevation.
Today’s elevation is listed as 665ft elevation
Difference is 16ft. (easy on the smart butt remarks- yeah I can add :wink: .)
According to the map at wind point that drops the grove to 83.9ft.
http://www.windypointpark.com/uwmap.asp

Looking for something a little bit deeper without trees- I tend to do the wall dives off the North and south end of the park. However, it is an advanced dive in deep water and you have to watch your turn times/ pressure and surfacing in some places is not the best.
Nothing like finding a hanging scuba tank on a chain at 110ft when the lake is up.

Dive safe, Andrew

I need to find those walls, we go over to the dam side and div e a deep wall we found over there but the hike up the hill is rough, the lift was broke this time so we'd walk sit walk sit walk sit just taking plenty of time to scale the walk up to keep the heart rate down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom