WP Travis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So what were the water conditions Debra at Windy Point this past weekend???? Hope all went well for the classes and the sport dives!

Well vis started out bad 7-10' at 35 feet and just got worse with all of the rain and hail. Imagine staying in a tent with hail and 50 mph wind gust. If I heard the weather report right we got 3" of rain dumped on us on friday night alone!!!!!! We had some more storms that blew in Saturday night that probably added another 1"-2" of water on us in an hour. I will say that it was kind of nice having a water bed in a tent I just wished that water stayed out side of the tent. LOL The vis at 90' was not that bad but it was cold and dark down there. Hope this helps oh yea and after this weekends rain the lake is up a bit.

Oh yea on a sad note I as I was leaving there was a woman unconscious in the water. I do not know if it was a diver or swimmer.

Wow, I am really sorry to hear about someone being unconscious down there a WP. I hope it turns out ok.

Troy and I just got home about an hour ago. Unloaded the wetsuits from the trailer and cleaned them up. We lost a trailer tire coming up I-35, tore the whole fender off. Took a few minutes to replace and we were on our way.

Visibility was ok, maybe 6 to 10 feet. Just cloudy mostly. The rain and lightening cancelled the night dive for us so we opted for a DPV dive. The deep dive was cold! Only made it to about 70 feet, I forgot to look at my temp gauge.

I spent and hour and forty minutes in the water for the last couple of dives between the OW and AOW class and temp was 71. I never took any pictures this time underwater, was with students the whole time. I did a lot of diving this weekend that is for sure!

We stayed at the hotel so we missed the "thunderstorm camp".

I am tired , see y'all tomorrow!

Glad everyone got home OK from SIS.

On Sunday just as we were surfacing at Mansfield Dam and asked us if anyone else was down there. Turns out he was at the wrong place, overheard something on his radio about mile marker 12 and then he sped off.

Anyway, we (Rick, aka fixxervi6, James and I) did WP just after midnight on Saturday. Went down to the trees at around 100'. The viz was about 3 - 5'. I slept since then so I don't remember the viz coming back up. On Sunday we did Mansfield Dam, went down to 140', viz was 3' at best, my computer read 57 deg. Ran into some decent viz at 70' on the way back up, estimate it at 15'.

Anyway, these were our first trimix dives. We were diving 25/25 (went lean on the helium since we had no idea how much it would cool us). I didn't really notice any difference as far as temperature but I do believe my head was clearer (I wouldn't have felt comfortable on air at 140 in that viz). Rick noticed being a little cooler. I'd like to try 25/35 next time we go down there but need to come up with the money for an argon rig (of course, I'll just use air in it).

Well, we blended our own mix, dove it and didn't kill ourselves. Of course thanks to my neighbor for the air top offs while we get our compressor going. Kurt, my O2 reading came out to 25.6 with 3050 psi, thanks :)

Mods: Fixxervi6 is probably going to request a name change to Mixxervi6 - just a heads up :)

loosebits:
... these were our first trimix dives. ... we blended our own mix, dove it and didn't kill ourselves.
Congratulations! Thanks for the report.

Willie

loosebits:
On Sunday just as we were surfacing at Mansfield Dam and asked us if anyone else was down there. Turns out he was at the wrong place, overheard something on his radio about mile marker 12 and then he sped off.

Anyway, we (Rick, aka fixxervi6, James and I) did WP just after midnight on Saturday. Went down to the trees at around 100'. The viz was about 3 - 5'. I slept since then so I don't remember the viz coming back up. On Sunday we did Mansfield Dam, went down to 140', viz was 3' at best, my computer read 57 deg. Ran into some decent viz at 70' on the way back up, estimate it at 15'.

Anyway, these were our first trimix dives. We were diving 25/25 (went lean on the helium since we had no idea how much it would cool us). I didn't really notice any difference as far as temperature but I do believe my head was clearer (I wouldn't have felt comfortable on air at 140 in that viz). Rick noticed being a little cooler. I'd like to try 25/35 next time we go down there but need to come up with the money for an argon rig (of course, I'll just use air in it).

Well, we blended our own mix, dove it and didn't kill ourselves. Of course thanks to my neighbor for the air top offs while we get our compressor going. Kurt, my O2 reading came out to 25.6 with 3050 psi, thanks :)

Mods: Fixxervi6 is probably going to request a name change to Mixxervi6 - just a heads up :)

Rand great trip report...thanks.

loosebits:

Good to hear everything went great for you guys. Shame we missed each other. Some day I will get to dive with yall.

We saw you guys out there but by the time we got camp set up everyone was settling down so we didn't pop in and say hi. How was your adv class, Luke? You have any more dives or are you certified?

at 140 the vis was so bad at times it was hard to read my computer on my wrist and I had to follow James by covering my light and looking for his HID to throw a barely noticeble glow, I got kicked a few times in the process , up from there I backed off some as it did open up to a couple of feet, 70 feet the vis was really nice, 10 - 15 easy! I did notice the cold more through my arms and chest, I guess thats where the bulk of the inflation goes, it was very tolerable nothing un comfortrable but I'm definitly warmer on air, this is with of course an insanely heavy undergarmet as well. Very first thing I noticed as well as James was hearing, I'm not sure how to explain it but the sounds sounded, clearer or something, not sure how to describe it, at depth on air I notice my inflators and regulators sounds are a bit different, I notice the sound change at about 100 - 120 feet, it didn't change like that this time, thats the best I can describe the sound difference, on the way back up I got the chicken bones out at 50 feet to determine deco on the fly, they don't fall as quick under water but I figured that was better than ratio deco (its a joke calm down).

Public Disclaimer - Do not home brew, its super bad ju ju unless you know the proper incantations, I had to sacrafice 12 chickens to get the mix go come out close, adding a second - fast - inert gas introduces some additional aspects and the vis sucks at those depths so just don't do it. So if your reading this and getting ideas, don't do it, not only do you risk severe personal injury you will also be broke inside of two weeks or less - guaranteed, you may read about people home brewing online especially on other message boards but stop there, just read, don't let loosebits post give you any ideas, just read and move on - I'm trying to save you lots of money and stuff

Back
Top Bottom