Would you still get involved?

Would someone videotaping a scuba accident affect your decision to help in a rescue?

• It wouldn't affect my decision at all

Votes: 97 78.9%
  • It might cause me to hesitate or limit my involvement

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I would decide the liability isn't worth the risk

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm rescue certified, and have not been involved in a rescue situation. I'd like to think that the presence of video cameras would not affect my actions with respect to the rescue.

I see the point about how the video/photo of a rescue is mostly useless and instead can be used maliciously by some sleazeball. But this can happen if someone falls in front of your house (or not even on your property but still ...); ask me how I know.

I am rescue trained but never experienced an actual rescue. My instructor has had her share unfortunately. I understand that it is mostly for self-rescue and part of becoming a safer/better diver and knowing the basics of rescue, and getting someone safely/quickly on shore and call the professionals to do their job while performing CPR.

How about you? Would it affect your decision to attempt to help? If so, do you think knowing that your actions were being videotaped would limit the scope of your involvement?

I would also like to ask that those who reply indicate whether or not they have been rescue trained, and whether or not they have ever been involved in a real scuba rescue situation. I can answer in the affirmative on both of those questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have been rescue trained, and have used that training to tow in a distressed diver who was vomiting blood and attempt to help further.

I answered the poll that it would have no affect on me. Video or no I still have the Good Samaritan Act to protect me, so the tape as "evidence" means little to me.

As for masses of people picking apart my actions on the Intertoobs, I could care less. If I don't know you your opinions do not matter to me.

I reserve the right to change my opinion should I find myself an Internet Celebrity.

I could care less, whether or not I am being filmed. I am Rescue trained and have made several rescues. If someone's life is in danger, I will do my best to help them...so long as I am not going to become part of the problem.

That is the one that gets people.....there was a case where the defendant had attempted a tracheotomy on a person who was choking, the defendant had "seen it on tv", and when the victim bled to death the defendant "panicked" and bred the body in the victim's yard....he was very surprised to be charged with murder...
Yeah, if you find yourself burying the victim in a shallow grave under cover of night, that should raise a few red flags in your mind.

I believe that I would not notice a videotaper. I was a witness to a child being hit by a car, and I can honestly say that I don't remember how many people were standing around, let alone what they were doing.

But if I find the video afterwards, and it's shot from an angle that makes my butt look bigger, I'm going to be some ticked off. :kicknut: :letsparty:

Yeah, if you find yourself burying the victim in a shallow grave under cover of night, that should raise a few red flags in your mind.

Some people take a little longer to learn....I arrested a woman who had stabbed her husband to death during a domestic quarrel. She was shocked. She said:"I stabbed him before and he never died..."

Those are the kind of videos lawyers love to have in a civil negligence suit. There is no reason people should be videotaping a victim/patient while others are trying to save their life.

As a retired civil litigator, I can tell you that a video of an accident scene depicting the incident as it happens is one side's or the other's dream. I had a couple occur during my 28 years as a trial lawyer -- both were in-store video cameras the showed a customer actively faking a slip and fall accident. Both ended up on the wrong side of a criminal prosecution for perjury after giving depositions. :cool2:

I would like to think that I would act responsibly in a rescue situation without considering the potential consequences of my actions being videotaped. But who really knows until it happens?

Video is a fact of life nowadays. All you can do is accept it or move to a different planet.

Anyone ever read Orwell's book 1984 before it was actually the year 1984? Did the book frighten you? We have already arrived at the place described in Orwell's book.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom