Would you still get involved?

Would someone videotaping a scuba accident affect your decision to help in a rescue?

• It wouldn't affect my decision at all

Votes: 97 78.9%
  • It might cause me to hesitate or limit my involvement

Votes: 22 17.9%
  • I would decide the liability isn't worth the risk

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In all my time on ScubaBoard, this is my first poll ... there's an ongoing discussion in this thread about a person's right to videotape a rescue during a diving accident. And I'm curious how it would affect your decision to get involved.

I personally feel it would have a chilling effect if people knew that their every action was going to be recorded, posted on YouTube or Facebook, critiqued by masses of strangers, and possibly be used as evidence in a liability lawsuit.

How about you? Would it affect your decision to attempt to help? If so, do you think knowing that your actions were being videotaped would limit the scope of your involvement?

I would also like to ask that those who reply indicate whether or not they have been rescue trained, and whether or not they have ever been involved in a real scuba rescue situation. I can answer in the affirmative on both of those questions ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've been trained(poorly) and have been involved in a swift water rescue and a couple recoveries.

I believe I'd act first and worry later.

Those are the kind of videos lawyers love to have in a civil negligence suit. There is no reason people should be videotaping a victim/patient while others are trying to save their life.

I have been involved with a dive related fatality. As long as they are not in the way,
what they are doing is irrelevant to the situation at hand. I wouldn't like it but I wouldn't do
anything different. My focus would be on the victim.

Although you can be sued for ANY reason & you would have to defend against it, as long as the individual(s) are acting within the scope of any rescue training they've had, they should generally be protected by the Good Samaritan Laws, unless there is gross negligence or overstepping of one's training in the situation. You would not see me trying to insert an endotrachial tube in, or trying to start an IV on, a victim, I would certainly perform BLS, if that is what is needed. The burden of proof, whether on video or not, would be on the shoulders of the lawyers bringing the suit to prove negligence.

I am rescue certified (but it was so long ago as to be near useless).

The closes I've been to actually using my skills was a few years ago. I wouldn't really all it a rescue. I was on my surface interval when a buddy teamed surfaced and was in distress, I had my stuff on as I was about to go for a swim so the Cpt told me to go help. A diver was in distress but still breathing and I just pulled him back tot he boat. Turns out he was just exhausted from working all day, then driving several 100 miles that night to make the trip.

Depending on the size/severity of the event, was anyone else responding, etc. I could see that having people film it could influence me. I might hesitate before becoming involved, in hesitating, I might decide to walk away.

Let me add, if I was the only one who could provide help then I would-regardless of who was filming.

I am a former EMT and a current instructor. I have never been involved in a scuba related rescue. It would not hinder my decision to act.

Rescue trained, never involved in a life threatening rescue (just minor stuff).

I would like to think it wouldn't affect me, but I don't know. I might chicken out of providing more assistance if I'm in a place where I'm not sure if there are Good Samaritan laws and someone else is already attempting the rescue.

(Note that for some countries, filming and failing to provide assistance could be a crime by itself: Duty_to_rescue).

I picked the 2nd option, although I'd do the rescue anyway in Europe, US or other place where I have a decent idea of what I'm getting into. And hopefully others.

I think the fact that someone was videoing me would be the last thing on my mind during a rescue. So no, I don't think it would change my actions at all.

I am rescue trained and have not been involved in a scuba rescue (though I have rescued a swimmer!).

Though on kind of a related note, I was diving on a boat where a guy could not get back on in rough seas and they had all sorts of things they had to do to get him back on (experienced diver, I would say a new or nervous diver would have panicked but this guy held it together). My buddy filmed the whole thing, he tends to film everything going on (I was still diving at this point and only saw the video, we'd split up during the dive) and I have to say if this hadn't gone well in the end, I don't think the operator would have been happy to know it had been filmed. They didn't get him to inflate his BC and then got him to hand his fins up before making sure he was holding on to the rope and stuff. He couldn't stay afloat with out his BC inflated so once he was on the rope they were having to hold him up to keep his head out of the water. Just a big CF, but they were doing what they thought was best in the moment.

the same applies to any journo or photographer.

someone should be recording events in life so people can learn and remember. however, if that person happens to be specifically trained to be able to assist then you have a duty of care ( i believe)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom