I'm done with teaching. It's time.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you figure in travel expenses, gasoline to and from the sites, wear and tear on the vehicle, food, lodging, etc.?
What about time spent filling out certs and course paperwork?
Cost of replacement/servicing gear?

How much was insurance? Had I renewed my instructor insurance would have been $900 USD this year. Plus business insurance $400, DAN dive insurance $115, Instructor dues of 170 bucks.

True, I did make the decision the last two years to never take more than 2 people at a time for classes. Then Covid shot that in the ass as well.
Then my work schedule changed and cut the number of classes I could offer.
Gas was a lot (Canada). No lodging (stayed overnight with my step daughter). No eating out except Burger King once a weekend. No paperwork/certs. (only a DM)
Insurance about $140 a year (only for assisting) and PADI membership about the same.
Car wear & tear-- well I'd be driving there those weekends to just dive anyway.
Servicing gear/ new gear-- same as it would be just diving.
In other words, cheapskate.

While we never had a chance to cross paths Jim, I still can appreciate the time you spent getting people into the sport over the years. More over, thank you for the frank review of the industry and current state-of-affairs.

This is pertinent to me where I've always been toying with the idea of going the professional route once the kids are out and on their own (i.e. next spring). I was looking at it as a way to 'give back' because both my wife and I and our kids had two separate exceptional instructors as we were getting certified. As with most students there were challenges to be worked through, and they made it an enjoyable experience. However, with your feedback now emblazoned in my mind...I think I'm going to pass on it and stay Recreational For Life(r).

I’d really like the RSTC to see it as an important barometer reading of the industry. (...)

It's really discouraging to hear the steady drip that the RSTC and WRSTC have no teeth. (...)

Flagging for @Darcy Kieran cognizance and comment.

Just catching up on ScubaBoard and reading your Sept. 12 post now... Sorry!

Only a handful of training agencies are in the RSTC. The vast majority of them are not. It was created to provide the illusion of a self-governing, responsible dive industry. "We are following industry standards." But with ISO standards becoming the reference point, RSTC is pretty much a meaningless organization.

And they are both ultimately useless in providing consistency in the quality of the experience for the end-user because both sets of standards (RSTC & ISO) are generated by the industry and I don't know of a single brand in this so-called industry with a real quality assurance/control department. From one X dive center/instructor to another X dive center/instructor, you never know for sure what you're gonna get.

It would be like seeing a McDonald's sign on the side of the highway and not knowing if they sell cheap hamburgers or if it's a premium 5 Michelin stars dine-in restaurant where you should expect fancy sushi and a $1000 bill at the end of the meal. What would be the point of a business paying to raise such a sign if the logo means nothing? Similarly... I don't understand why dive centers and instructors keep on trumpeting their agency affiliation when that logo means nothing...

Eventually, somebody will seize on the opportunity to develop a trustworthy brand in the dive industry, based on consistency in the quality of the experience at all branded locations. Until then... Don't hold your breath!

Good luck to all our colleagues who were on the path of Ian in Florida.

All the best to you in your future diving adventures, @Jim Lapenta !

Well written. Hope you can once again enjoy diving for the pure fun of it.

Just catching up on ScubaBoard and reading your Sept. 12 post now... Sorry!

Only a handful of training agencies are in the RSTC. The vast majority of them are not. It was created to provide the illusion of a self-governing, responsible dive industry. "We are following industry standards." But with ISO standards becoming the reference point, RSTC is pretty much a meaningless organization.

And they are both ultimately useless in providing consistency in the quality of the experience for the end-user because both sets of standards (RSTC & ISO) are generated by the industry and I don't know of a single brand in this so-called industry with a real quality assurance/control department. From one X dive center/instructor to another X dive center/instructor, you never know for sure what you're gonna get.

It would be like seeing a McDonald's sign on the side of the highway and not knowing if they sell cheap hamburgers or if it's a premium 5 Michelin stars dine-in restaurant where you should expect fancy sushi and a $1000 bill at the end of the meal. What would be the point of a business paying to raise such a sign if the logo means nothing? Similarly... I don't understand why dive centers and instructors keep on trumpeting their agency affiliation when that logo means nothing...

Eventually, somebody will seize on the opportunity to develop a trustworthy brand in the dive industry, based on consistency in the quality of the experience at all branded locations. Until then... Don't hold your breath!

Good luck to all our colleagues who were on the path of Ian in Florida.

All the best to you in your future diving adventures, @Jim Lapenta !

What is your opinion of BSAC?

One thing that concerned me is the duration of our liability. Am I correct in thinking that a student could have an accident 10 years or more after training/certification and potentially add the shop/instructor to a lawsuit?

One thing that concerned me is the duration of our liability. Am I correct in thinking that a student could have an accident 10 years or more after training/certification and potentially add the shop/instructor to a lawsuit?
It really depends on who they get for a lawyer. I doubt 10 years would happen but I was always told to keep student records for 7 to show you covered what you were supposed to.

I was always told to keep student records for 7

Yes, 7 years is the Agency and Insurer requirement.

Yes, 7 years is the Agency and Insurer requirement.
I know the agency requires that you keep records for 7 years. I am not sure you are required to be insured for 7 years. I think that is a strong recommendation because you have to be insured when the lawsuit occurs. The fact that you were insured when the event took place doesn't matter.

As someone rapidly approaching the end of instructing myself, that is a matter of some interest. Given the steep price of insurance, it would be very tempting to give it up if you haven't had anything remotely like a potential incident for at least 7 years prior to retirement.

Back
Top Bottom